Voting while cruising: a problem

dawei

On 9/12/2022 at 3:44 PM, WriterOnDeck said:

Not always true. In Texas you have about 3 weeks between early voting and absentee ballots.....I leave from the country on a cruise on Sept. 30 -- too early for the absentee ballot or early voting -- and return on Thanksgiving day. And if you sail on World cruises, you are gone for months. Thus why I work hard to find a way to vote from overseas. No judgment, please...

You might have other options. I am on the same Westerdam sailing as you are and I live in Lindale, east Texas (Smith County). Check with your County Elections Administrator. You must provide proper ID by email and they will email you a ballot. Print it, fill it out and mail it from home or Seattle or Hawaii or somewhere abroad. (Free postage is provided if you mail it from a US Embassy in Samoa or Fiji, etc.) That is what I am doing. My wife and I are mailing our completed ballots in, tomorrow, in small town America.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 2:29 PM, WriterOnDeck said:

I just submitted my Federal Post Card Application for Nov. 2022 voting. (I leave Oct. 2 on the Westerdam and return on Thanksgiving so can't vote here.) It is pretty straightforward.

Go to www.FPCA.gov and follow the instructions. I'm in Texas, and we must provide a foreign address to which the ballot will be mailed, even though we also will receive it in email. My TA got me the address for the port agent in Fiji. But meanwhile, when the email comes, I will print out the ballot, fill it in, and mail it. I'll talk to the front desk about the best way to do that.

We'll be on your cruise! Luckily, in Wisconsin ballets were mailed last week, and ours have already been mailed back!

We, too, are leaving on a cruise before ballots are mailed out and won't return until after the election.  We contacted the local elections office and were told that beginning last Friday, 9/23, we could get in-person early ballots. We were there on Friday. What impressed me most was that while we were waiting for our ballots three other couples walked up requesting theirs.  We have voted in our state.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 5:38 PM, NorthWestPassage said:

You might have other options. I am on the same Westerdam sailing as you are and I live in Lindale, east Texas (Smith County). Check with your County Elections Administrator. You must provide proper ID by email and they will email you a ballot. Print it, fill it out and mail it from home or Seattle or Hawaii or somewhere abroad. (Free postage is provided if you mail it from a US Embassy in Samoa or Fiji, etc.) That is what I am doing. My wife and I are mailing our completed ballots in, tomorrow, in small town America.

Thanks for giving me the heads up. I called Polk County and it turned out they had emailed me the ballot, but Google sent it to my spam folder. I got it out and mailed my vote today.  Easy peasy. Yea!!!

12 hours ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Thanks for giving me the heads up. I called Polk County and it turned out they had emailed me the ballot, but Google sent it to my spam folder. I got it out and mailed my vote today.  Easy peasy. Yea!!!

Isn't it nice when people learn something practical on these boards and are able to use that information.

• Like 2