The insanity of seeking reef safe sunscreen that isn't bogus/ineffective or make me look like Casper

18 hours ago, brillohead said:

I do like them, been using them for probably at least five years now.  I get them on Amazon (just search "swim leggings").  

They provide protection from the sun and from chafing, plus I'm guessing they protect against jellyfish because I've never experienced any problems while wearing them.  

I started out using just "shorts" type leggings (like bike shorts length), as I experienced swimsuit creep while snorkeling years ago and managed to get burned "where the sun don't shine" and spent the rest of the cruise itching my behind like some kind of weirdo.  They worked so well that I progressed to capri length and now just use ankle length.

No worries about being reef safe, no worries about missing a spot, no worries about reapplying... 

Yep, me too, almost all of the above, but haven't graduated to ankle length ... yet! Got them for good prices on Amazon! So easy to shop from home! Cheers!

• Like 1

A few years back, went to an all inclusive and searched for reef safe sunscreen Found online and ordered (can’t remember the brand). First day on the beach I went to apply and it was a very thick white goop that was in no way going to be rubbed in. Went to the gift shop to see what they offered and it was basically every brand that I could have bought at home, including aerosol sprays. 

18 hours ago, Coralc said:

I don't know. It doesn't really look that difficult to me. Just Google Panama Jack's Animal safe sunscreen. There are lots of options. Clear, white, whatever. 

It is the sunscreen that they use at Discovery Cove, dolphin safe, probably reef safe. Probably not something I would stress over. :classic_smile:

Thanks, it actually is hard because a LOT of the ones that say reef safe have a lot of the unsafe ingredients. Several of the ones recommended on this forum are nice but when you look at the post with the ingredients to avoid, they have the chemicals that harm reefs. I just don't want to get to St. Thomas and have someone tell me to ditch the sunscreen that I bought at home because the ingredients are not reef safe.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2022 at 12:57 PM, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Not for the USVI as the OP mentioned are some stops on their trip.  Banana boat spray contains octocrylene which is banned. 

Also contains octocrylene. Not allowed in USVI.

Unless you're talking about the Sun Bum mineral sunscreen, this also contains octocrylene.

Best broad spectrum protection out of the ones suggested, but also contains octocrylene.

Contains octocrylene 

Your only options are to wear UV protective clothing or to use a mineral sunscreen which will leave a white residue on your skin.  It appears not sufficient scientific research has been conducted to determine the real-world effects of all chemicals that exist in traditional sunscreen products.  Consumer Reports wrote a nice article about this.

https://www.consumerreports.org/sunscreen/the-truth-about-reef-safe-sunscreen-a3578637894/

Thanks so very much. It's pretty sad that the manufacturers claim those are reef safe. Guess I will go as Casper's sister, LOL.

Most of the baby and toddler sunscreens are mineral based and reef safe. There is also a face cream, mineral based called something like clear zinc.  It goes on white but quickly turns clear

Edited by Mary229

2 hours ago, Florida Glamazon said:

Thanks, it actually is hard because a LOT of the ones that say reef safe have a lot of the unsafe ingredients. Several of the ones recommended on this forum are nice but when you look at the post with the ingredients to avoid, they have the chemicals that harm reefs. I just don't want to get to St. Thomas and have someone tell me to ditch the sunscreen that I bought at home because the ingredients are not reef safe.

See I cannot see anyone stopping you. Let alone asking to see the bottle if you say it's reef safe. And if you hold the front up with reef safe on, I really really cannot see anyone taking the bottle from you to turn over and read the ingredients. Let alone have there own knowledge of every ingredient and chemical on it, and where those technically stand. So I really think you would be safe with most. But certainly with all natural one's. And if anyone did ask I would start by just telling them, then the front of the bottle, if it came to it at that point I would then reluctantly let them read the ingredients or tell them to #!*& off. Lol. Depending on my mood that day. 😊 But I really think anything with a label reef safe should be good enough. I've done Discovery Cove in there kabuki makeup. No biggie. Relax and enjoy.

Edited by CanHardlyWait4NextYear
Typo