ArriveCan - PC vs Phone

lx200gps

I am prepping to do my third ArriveCan submission prior to our C/NE cruise out of Brooklyn this Saturday. In the past, one could only do a "trip" on either a PC or on a phone, but if a trip was started on one platform, it could not be accessed on the other.  Is that still the case, or could I start it on a PC at home, then access it and finish it on my Android phone while in the US?  TIA.

According to the ArriveCAN Help website, you can't start on one and finish on the other:

Using ArriveCAN

You can use the ArriveCAN website or the ArriveCAN mobile app to submit your travel information. Once you create your account, you can use the same email and password for both the website and the app. However, you must use the same platform to start and finish a submission. For example, you can't start a submission on the app and finish it on the website.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan/help.html

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

According to the ArriveCAN Help website, you can't start on one and finish on the other:

Using ArriveCAN

You can use the ArriveCAN website or the ArriveCAN mobile app to submit your travel information. Once you create your account, you can use the same email and password for both the website and the app. However, you must use the same platform to start and finish a submission. For example, you can't start a submission on the app and finish it on the website.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan/help.html

Got it, thanks. I had hoped they would have amended this to allow access to a submission across platforms, but it seems not to be.

3 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Got it, thanks. I had hoped they would have amended this to allow access to a submission across platforms, but it seems not to be.

Like many other aspects of ArriveCAN, it's a mystery to me why they didn't allow cross-platform access from the beginning. If they plan on keeping it around and developing it further as a travel tool, this is certainly one issue that they should resolve.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, broberts said:

If one uses the web portal, any browser equipped device can access the submission. So one can start a submission an a home PC and complete it using a phone browser (e.g. Safari or Chrome).

Good point. It does raise the question, however, as to why they bothered with an app at all, as I don't think that there are any smart phones or tablets that can run the app but don't have an internet browser to access the web portal. 

56 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Good point. It does raise the question, however, as to why they bothered with an app at all, as I don't think that there are any smart phones or tablets that can run the app but don't have an internet browser to access the web portal. 

The app came first I believe. The web portal was introduced when it was pointed out that many do not have app capable devices.

Pure speculation, I suspect the decision to start with an app was to maximize privacy. Nothing is sent or stored on servers until the submission is actually made. It's possible that only the highly encrypted QR code is transmitted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The issue for me is that using a browser for something that involves finicky data entry on a tiny screen with even tinier "keys" is the problem. The thought of having to enter data on a minuscule browser screen is not something I look forward to ;o)

All submissions I've entered so far were via the phone, so I'll simply throw the phone's screen to my Linux tablet PC, giving me the app interface I'm used to with the clear benefit of a large screen, keyboard and trackpad.

Edited by lx200gps

30 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

The issue for me is that using a browser for something that involves finicky data entry on a tiny screen with even tinier "keys" is the problem. The thought of having to enter data on a minuscule browser screen is not something I look forward to ;o)

All submissions I've entered so far were via the phone, so I'll simply throw the phone's screen to my Linux tablet PC, giving me the app interface I'm used to with the clear benefit of a large screen, keyboard and trackpad.

The web and app data entry are close to identical in size and method. There is no reason you cannot continue to use the tablet. 

You might also consider using the phone as a hot spot so the tablet can access the web directly. Doing so would let the web page adjust sizing based on tablet characteristics.