Solo adult with toddler - which liner please?

beckyboo1986

Hi all

I'm thinking of booking a cruise for late November for 7-10 days for myself and 19 month old toddler.

I'm open to suggestions on where but assume Caribbean will be the nicest option. We're from the UK.

We've cruised with RCC, MSC and I've done NCL in the past.

Just looking for recommendations on the friendliest with toddlers. Little one loves to swim (potty trained fine) and does go to the kids club for maybe an hour a day. I'd love a liner where I could do some activities with him too.

ideally one that won't charge me double occupancy but I know I can't have it all.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and recommendations. 

There is no discount for age or size.  He occupies a seat in the lifeboat.  The easiest would be a fly/cruise with one of the UK based lines, but I think those are usually 14 days on P&O, but Marella has 7 days from Barbados.  Otherwise, I assume you will be flying to the US?  Other than the Royal Caribbean ships that have a nursery, there are no ships/lines that have any kids program for under 2.  And on whatever line/ship you sail, you will be constantly explaining at the pool that your son is potty trained.  We don’t seem to be able to manage that that early in the US.  
     You might also consider a fly/cruise to the Canary Islands on P&O or Marella.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I would rethink late November if you can help it. It's a school break time for many students in the US (Thanksgiving), so prices will be sky high and cruises will be super full. The first two weeks of December are better in that regard - that's when we used to travel when DS wasn't in school yet.

Also, it's prime time for flu season. And, you know, covid is still in full force and spikes pretty badly after the holidays.

Essie's mom is right - you will be charged for the kiddo, unless it's a Kids Sail Free promotion and the kid is the 3rd or 4th passenger in the cabin.

I can't think of any ships which will have activities for a 19 month old. I mean - some puppet show here and there, and maybe, a splash zone (you have to look for ships with that) for little kids. I think some RCI ships have a play area on them, where parents can play with kids. The carousel on Harmony and Allure was nice.

Yes, people will not believe that your 19 mo is fully potty trained. Heck, mine wasn't there until well after 3. And, yes, both DH and I are originally from Europe. The poor crew members may not say anything, but other passengers might.

November 19-27 will be heavily booked with families, as many schools have off the entire week of our Thanksgiving holiday, which this year is November 24.  Anything leaving November 26 or later will have fewer kids.  Many of the mass market lines have times that you can accompany your child to the kids club and stay while he plays.  EM

Disney also has a fee based nursery, but Disney is always very expensive and would be very crowded over Thanksgiving.  Princess precovid would allow you to accompany your child to the kids club, but MSC sounds like it would be  a better option.  Best of luck to you.

Edited by kitkat343