Currency Used in Tahiti

plettza

It's been over 3 years since we cruised the South Pacific and we sailed to New Caledonia.  The currency I ordered locally here in Australia before sailing to NC was CFP.  On our first cruise when I ordered currency for New Cal, I noted there was a second currency which I think was called South Pacific Francs.  This is what I thought they used in Tahiti.

When I look up the currency for Tahiti, Wikipedia claims they use CFP as well.

image.png.e8f788544bcb47e7ba1f3fe08596e31d.png

I thought, this doesn't make sense.  This is the currency NC uses.  When I use Wikipedia to look up what a CFP is, the specimen images are completely different to what I remember.  

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFP_franc, the sample images of the notes are as follows:

image.png.81687c63bb82c300b27e4f2acea18f87.png

I remember CFP looking like this as well an an image of what I bought back in 2018:

See the source image

image.thumb.jpeg.39b91b8d54f79b0e21072c882bbda25e.jpeg

Has Tahiti changed over to CFP over the time I initially ordered Francs?  What currency should I order?

When I go to Australia Post's website, where I can order foreign cash, there is nothing listed for either French Pacific Franc or South Pacific Franc.

Have these territories changes currencies very recently?  Are these notes accepted in Tahiti

Edited by plettza

There's really no need for XPF before traveling to Tahiti. Just visit any ATM, close to any of the ports and use your card. Independent tour operators generally accept online cc payment.. You'll find out if you book an independent. Most we used last month took online cc payment. Nice to carry XPF for tips etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 2:51 PM, plettza said:

It's been over 3 years since we cruised the South Pacific and we sailed to New Caledonia.  The currency I ordered locally here in Australia before sailing to NC was CFP.  On our first cruise when I ordered currency for New Cal, I noted there was a second currency which I think was called South Pacific Francs.  This is what I thought they used in Tahiti.

When I look up the currency for Tahiti, Wikipedia claims they use CFP as well.

image.png.e8f788544bcb47e7ba1f3fe08596e31d.png

I thought, this doesn't make sense.  This is the currency NC uses.  When I use Wikipedia to look up what a CFP is, the specimen images are completely different to what I remember.  

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFP_franc, the sample images of the notes are as follows:

image.png.81687c63bb82c300b27e4f2acea18f87.png

I remember CFP looking like this as well an an image of what I bought back in 2018:

See the source image

image.thumb.jpeg.39b91b8d54f79b0e21072c882bbda25e.jpeg

Has Tahiti changed over to CFP over the time I initially ordered Francs?  What currency should I order?

When I go to Australia Post's website, where I can order foreign cash, there is nothing listed for either French Pacific Franc or South Pacific Franc.

Have these territories changes currencies very recently?  Are these notes accepted in Tahiti

Hi, it's confusing isn't it.

CFP is the name of the currency, XPF is it's 3 letter code when referring to currencies.

I've also looked on the Australia Post website along with some others with no luck. Someone has told me about https://foreignxchange.com.au/ - you might like to have a look there. I'm going to order some for my November cruise. The rate of exchange isn't good but it's handy to have a little bit just in case.

Cheers

ging466