Princess Cays regular bungalow or sanctuary bungalow

Mara4166

We would like to book a bungalow for our upcoming cruise and are curious about the differences.  There are just 2 of us and we would like to avoid noise and children if possible have booked the sanctuary bungalow. 

I am a bit worried that the descriptions of the 2 bungalows are very different.  The normal bungalow description mentions a ceiling fan, table and chairs, staff to order drinks and orient you to the area, and motorized transport to the bungalow (plus a few other things).  The description for the sanctuary bungalows does not mention ANY of these items.  I am wondering if we would be better off in the main area since there may not be enough staff to support the sanctuary.  We have a sanctuary bungalow and are the waitlist for the main area so am not certain what to do if we have the option to move.

Do any of these have air conditioning or is it just ceiling fans?

Does anyone have any relatively recent experience?

Mara, I have been to Princess Cays before, and have not been in a bungalow yet, but would like to reserve one next time.

The first 18 Bungalows as you walk North, to the left, from the water ferry, are regular bungalows.  They are very small, room sized bungalow structures with an open porch/deck area where you can lounge in the beach lounge chairs if you want.  Or, I might move them down under a palm tree and set the small table and chairs on that front patio.  

Then after the 18th Bungalow, there is an entry to the restricted Sanctuary Bungalows.  These are mostly the same, except there is like a pergola, slatted, cover over the patio, for some semi-shade.

We want easier access to the water,  which there is no beach area in the Sanctuary section.  

Yes, the Sanctuary section is supposed to have a few staff members to monitor the entry, and to provide better service to these bungalows.

You can go on Youtube and pull up a search like Princess Cays Bungalow Tour, and you can see how this all works.   The key is, if you know you want to be secluded, then do the Sanctuary Bungalow,  but know that you won't just hop down to the beach, or the bar, or wherever.  It is a short but considerable walk.  

One thing to consider is your travel dates. If you are on a Holiday Break or Summer cruise, then families with kids will be around.  If you are traveling off season, not Summer, Spring Break, Holiday, etc.  Then I would not imagine that kids would be much of an issue.  Assuming you will be there on Princess, and not Carnival.  (CCL does also use Princess Cays as a private island/beach stop sometimes)

• Like 1

Thank you @Wishing on a star.  We have been to Princes Cays multiple times, but never stayed in a bungalow.  I am asking for comments from someone who knows the details of the service provided since restart in the different types.   YouTube videos and older reviews imply there is air conditioning, but the description on the excursion page do not mention this for any of the bungalows.  The description of the main bungalows contains a lot of items not mentioned in the Sanctuary description so am curious if these are still offered in the sanctuary bungalow or if it an editing issue in the description.  Since the sanctuary bungalows cost more, I would assume they would have more service, not less.

I've had a regular bungalow twice and have booked another one for our upcoming cruise in 2023. In a regular bungalow you have a few plastic chairs, a table and a window ac unit. There are also two lounge chairs outside that are yours to use. Overall, the walk is a little far but you can be driven on a golf cart if you wish. We've gone to the buffet ourselves for food and drinks but you can have food brought to you if you want. 

32 minutes ago, Mara4166 said:

Thank you @Wishing on a star.  We have been to Princes Cays multiple times, but never stayed in a bungalow.  I am asking for comments from someone who knows the details of the service provided since restart in the different types.   YouTube videos and older reviews imply there is air conditioning, but the description on the excursion page do not mention this for any of the bungalows.  The description of the main bungalows contains a lot of items not mentioned in the Sanctuary description so am curious if these are still offered in the sanctuary bungalow or if it an editing issue in the description.  Since the sanctuary bungalows cost more, I would assume they would have more service, not less.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/caribbean-cruises/caribbean-getaways/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=4616

https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/princess-cays-bahamas-excursions/adults-sanctuary-bungalow-rental-4-people-maximum/?preserveScrollPosition=true

I believe you get some included refreshments with Sanctuary and there can be catered food.

Yes, all the basics that might not be mentioned again for the Sanctuary Bungalows are there.  

I have read one review where the level of 'service' was spotty.  So, I think that this can be something that is always consistent.  one person mentioned how the afternoon staff seemed to decide to pack up and want to leave early.  Could be excellent, but could be, not as excellent?

6 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Have you pulled up the rental excursion in your cruise personalizer.

There are a few reviews there.  Some mention great service.

I have read ALL of the reviews and descriptions that I could find (on multiple sites).  I was hoping someone on here had personal experience rather than just referring me to online reviews.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Thank you, I had seen these which is what prompted me to post my question.  It was the sanctuary description (compared to the non-sanctuary description) that concerned me.  They are very different.  The sanctuary costs more but based on the excursion page description has less service which does not make any sense.  I was hoping for someone with actual experience in the last year who might be able to confirm.

I have rented a regular bungalow twice on Princess Cays.  We enjoyed having it.  It is air conditioned and it was a place to put our “stuff”.  The bungalows are very small.  We really didn’t spend any time inside.  There are two loungers in front.  We actually brought the chairs from inside outside because I prefer a chair.  We didn’t really require any service.  We just went to the lunch buffet.  They would bring a drink, of course.  

We are booked on the Sky Princess for January 2023 and if we actually take the cruise (I am on the fence because of Covid), I may book a bungalow.  It was nice to have.   

• Like 1

If you have not seen this, here is a video which has a good tour of a Sanctuary Bungalow, arriving at the Bungalow at like 15 minutes in.  You can see the thermostatic controlled AC, table and chairs, mini-fridge, etc.   It looks like staff had not yet brought the snacks and drinks to the bungalow.

Thank you @antmaril that is very helpful from someone who has actually been in the standard bungalow.  I am wondering why they do not mention air conditioning in the description as this might be nice if it gets too hot.

hopefully someone with actual experience with the sanctuary bungalow might be able to confirm their experiences and if the extra cost is worth it.

• Like 1

I am not thinking that many sanctuary bungalow people are regular posters here.

Any reviews and info might be better than none!   Everybody has their own experience and priorities!

We are only trying to help.

And, also, remember that the actual experience and service might not be super consistant.

If crowds and kids are your biggest priority, and you are on a cruise during a busy family travel time, I would really consider this.  That exclusive aspect of the Sanctuary Bungalows would be the biggest consistent factor.