Need Advice - Lots of Questions for Family Cruising

Hi -

DH and I just did our first Cruise (alone) last week and it was heaven! We sailed the Princess Caribbean for our 20th Anniversary. Loved It!

Now we want to take the family (well some of them) We have 6 kids, but 2 will be in College - so we are thinking either three or 4 kids, not sure on the baby who will only be 2.

I have been checking out all Cruise lines and really like what I see with RCCL for families. The ships seem to have the most stuff to do. So...

1. Do you think RCCL is the best choice for a Family cruise?

2. Can we do 5 or 6 in a minisuite? Do they have minisuites? People would be : Me and DH - 17 yo Son, 12 yo daughter, 9 yo son and possibly 2 yo daughter. What type of room layouts do you suggest?

3. Am thinking either Eastern or Western Caribbean in Feb 2007- Which is the best ship?? This past trip we just did Eastern, but that doesn't matter to me. I'd go to the same islands again.

4. Advice on bringing the 2 y.o. - my gut instinct tells me she is still too young and I won't enjoy myself as much because she won't be able to do Kids program and we will still be dealing with diapers, and crib, etc... the more I think about it the more I think it will be very hard with her.

5. Which dinner seating works best for younger kids - or do you suggest feeding kids in buffet - dropping them off at their programs and then eating at a later seating?

6. How do the kids programs work for 9, 12 and 17 year olds?

O.K. well, I'm sure that's enough questions for now...

thanks!

linda

CB Princess - 2/18/2006 ( ah... where to go next!)

Guest cruzr44

I would call RC ASAP and inquire about the week you want to go. See if there are any Royal Family suites available as they go fast, especially if its a school vacation week. Another option would be two ajoining cabins, a balcony for you and an inside for the kids, two insides, two windows. Depending on the ship there are a couple of balcony cabins that connect to a cabin with just a window (also hard to get).

I would pick early seating and if you can't get there for some reason you can always go to the Windjammer at your convenience. You will get a lot of votes for the Voyager class (Voyager, Explorer, Mariner, Navigator, Adventure) and for the brand new Freedom of the Seas which only sails Western, but has not yet sailed.

Have fun planning, but like I said, if it's school vacation, book now.

We have been a family cruising since our children were 6 months old. We now have 3 in college and one in high school. On our last trip, we had two interior rooms and 1 balcony.

Yes!!

Book on the Voyager ships, we have done the explorer and the Nav, lot of things for the kids to do and we had a blast!

2. Can we do 5 or 6 in a minisuite? Do they have minisuites? People would be : Me and DH - 17 yo Son, 12 yo daughter, 9 yo son and possibly 2 yo daughter. What type of room layouts do you suggest?

This is what I would do…put 9 & 17 yo sons in one interior room and share a balcony room with 12 yo daughter & 2 yo (if you bring her!)

3. Am thinking either Eastern or Western Caribbean in Feb 2007- Which is the best ship?? This past trip we just did Eastern, but that doesn't matter to me. I'd go to the same islands again.

Personally, I would do Western, you have done the eastern…which is beautiful, but in the western you can climb Dunn River Falls, Swim with the stingrays, beach day at Labadee, Chankanaub Park in Coz (AWESOME).

4. Advice on bringing the 2 y.o. - my gut instinct tells me she is still too young and I won't enjoy myself as much because she won't be able to do Kids program and we will still be dealing with diapers, and crib, etc... the more I think about it the more I think it will be very hard with her.

Plus you will spend a lot time chasing her!

5. Which dinner seating works best for younger kids - or do you suggest feeding kids in buffet - dropping them off at their programs and then eating at a later seating?

We eat early dinner in the dining room!!!! Give the kids a choice, we did, but they always ate with us!

Great programs! Make sure the 17 yo goes the first night to the club!

I can only give you my experiences so here goes.

1. Do you think RCCL is the best choice for a Family cruise? 100% yes. No doubt about it. My kids loved it and we did too. Everyone had a wonderful time.

'

You need to book a family suite or connecting cabins. We did connecting with three in one (sister in law and two kids) and us in another. The beds come out of the ceiling. We could close the door on the chaos and loved it! Two bathrooms too.

Mariner of the Seas. I love leaving from PC and you fly in and out of Orlando so it's easy to extend your vacation. Eastern or Western is not as big a consideration as you might think. They are both good itineraries and you can go for price.

Truthfully, being the mother of a two and a one year old. It's not worth it. I know people who have one child may argue but it's two against one. I am outnumbered and outnumbered on vacation is not relaxing. The in cabin sitters are great but even so I want to relax on vacation. I stay home and parent 24/7 and it's hard t chase a toddler. That's what I think. Now what you do, for your family is all up to you!

Keep in mind you will need to use in cabin sitting, your two year old will not be able to use the pool and I get so nervous around those railings and that big ocean. My two year old is a world champion climber. I would be terrified he would go over the side. I could never relax for a moment.

We did the late seating. The boys did one formal night with us and one with AO at Johnny Rockets. They like the JR's better (goons). They also liked staying in the room with the sitter and eating room service pizza. I like the late seating and a combonation of them coming with us and going to the activities as they wanted to. Breakfast became the big family meal (lunch was usually a grab and go thing). We went to the dining room every morning and sat together and talked about the day. That was great! No one was overtired or grumpy and it was just the best part about it. As a result we eat breakfast as a family almost every morning now.

I cannot tell you about the 17 year old but the 9 and 12 year olds will be in an interesting kids program. I think they will like it. My almost 9 year old, who is pretty jaded, says it's the "best"

--Yes, for us it is.

--They have Royal Family Suites on some ships, but like the pp said, they go fast. The best way to do it is to go to www.rccl.com, click on "Find a Cruise" and go from there. You can choose different itineraries, different dates and see what rooms are available.

--"Best Ship"? That's all a matter of opinion. The Voyager Family of ships are all very nice for families.

--I do take my children on every cruise/vacation we've ever been to even as young as 6 months old. You won't have the luxury of a kids club for 2 years olds on RCCL, but you do with NCCL (Norwegian), DCL (Disney) and some CCL (Carnival Cruise) ships. So that is a very personal choice for you. But just rest assured, bringing a child that young is not out of the question.

--Main Seating is what we do. It depends how your child's temperment is. Would they sit through a meal that long? If not, like you said, you can always feed them at the Windjammer then drop them off at the club while you dine.

--The listing of the ages/activities is outlined here...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/experiencetype/home.do;jsessionid=0000SL0OQEnYgwl5JeHhPWUHKPX:10ktdmnut?br=R&exTypeCode=8

Usually I have to drag my kids kicking and screaming out of the kids clubs. They REALLY like them.

Have a great cruise, no matter what you decide! :D

I'm a huge RCCL fan, but don't overlook the Disney line. Close friends of ours RAVE about the service and programs on their ships! You gotta admit--Disney does know how to entertain! Plus, most of their cabins are "family-friendly" with 2 baths, which is very convenient. You may want to check them out as well.

1. I vote RCCL. It has something for everyone. Your older kids will love the rock wall and other outdoor activities.

2. I'd get two rooms as someone above suggested. Two bathrooms is the main reason, but more floor space would be another. Privacy also. If cost is a problem, get two interiors. If not, one balcony, one interior.

3. We like Eastern best but others like Western.

4. I would not enjoy a cruise with a 2 y.o.

5. Early.

6. Never used them. By the time we went on our first cruise our kids were out of college. We wish we hadn't waited so long.

Archived