Tipping currency in Europe

kasowell2

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Is all of the money, coins and paper, with the queen on it, to be turned in?  If so, for how long will it still have any value?

No, will be used for years. Only the paper bills are being replaced with plastic but that process was started years ago. £5 and £10 already withdrawn, £20 and £50 will be withdrawn 30 September.

10 minutes ago, the penguins said:

No, will be used for years. Only the paper bills are being replaced with plastic but that process was started years ago. £5 and £10 already withdrawn, £20 and £50 will be withdrawn 30 September.

That’s smart.  In the US we apparently prefer dead people on our money, every person on our coins and paper currency is dead, and have been for years 🤑

On 9/16/2022 at 7:12 PM, kasowell2 said:

First time European  cruise leaving from Southampton and ending in Rome. My question is about the currency for tipping. Southampton and dock workers. The porters at the port are they expecting a tip like the workers in the unite states?
On the ship such as room service what currency is expected.  United States dollars or Great Britain pound?

Our cruise departed from Southampton August 29, and I, too, had read beforehand about the need to tip the port porters when boarding. If not, I read, my bags might just end up in the boiler room, hanging from a yardarm, or stuff like that... 😄

Thus, fully prepared when we reached the drop-off spot outside the cruise terminal, I stuck a few pounds into the cup sitting on their desk/kiosk thing.

Honestly, I didn't need to. The three workers there just told us to add our bags to the "pile" while one worker loaded them onto a vehicle. The two others didn't seem particularly engaged. Our bags arrived without incident.

As far as the "preferred" currency onboard, we asked a few staffers during the first few days because, as noobs, we wanted to accommodate. On our ship, the Silhouette, they didn't care and graciously accepted tips in both dollars and pounds.

cjr

On 9/17/2022 at 8:27 AM, Wineaux007 said:

The currency on the ship is USD.  That's the currency I would use when tipping on board.

When you arrive in Rome, you will not run into any luggage handlers.  You just pick up your staged luggage and go to your transport.  No customs or immigration there.

I have been twice this year (May and July) and they do have porters. My wife packs 3 suite cases and a carry on we need one. I tipped 10 euros it was a long walk to my car service.

1 hour ago, southernbreezes said:

I have been twice this year (May and July) and they do have porters. My wife packs 3 suite cases and a carry on we need one. I tipped 10 euros it was a long walk to my car service.

You are correct when coming in the main terminal building.  I was envisioning Terminal 25, the big tent, where transports were right outside, a short walk after getting your luggage.