Sort of live from Discovery 9/16/22

TrustMeI'mANurse

6 hours ago, melody-s said:

I was on this cruise as well and mostly agree with the assessment. The production shows were not good, and the internet was bad. The crew was wonderful, and the ship facilities were great. Medallion worked well for me. I was able to track my son's location, order food/beverages, and look at my folio account without any issues.  Overall, we were happy with the experience.

Sadly, my adult son caught covid on the cruise. That situation was handled very well. They tested both of us (I was negative) and moved him to an ocean-view quarantine cabin. After he left, they cleaned and disinfected our cabin. After that, I self-isolated in our cabin, over and above what was strictly required, out of courtesy to other passengers. He said the cabin was comfortable and they did a good job taking care of his medical needs. Disembarkation was a bit of a hassle since he had to do it separately. Seattle is our home port, so he is now home and resting. I can't say how they would handle the situation if additional services like a hotel was needed after the cruise.

Agree about the production shows.  I was wondering if they scaled back because of the risk of having to cancel if a performer caught COVID.  For the type of shows they had…mainly singing performances, it’d be easier to sub someone else in.

Sorry to hear about your son but glad to hear that Princess handled it well and looked after your son’s medical needs.

1 hour ago, mthomp5 said:

Agree about the production shows.  I was wondering if they scaled back because of the risk of having to cancel if a performer caught COVID.  For the type of shows they had…mainly singing performances, it’d be easier to sub someone else in.

They scaled back production shows before covid.  They made them shorter to fit in with dining schedules, as I remember.  Don't know if that's necessary now.

On 9/17/2022 at 12:12 PM, CineGraphic said:

I believe that they've stopped claiming to have "The Best Wifi At Sea", and rightfully so.

Currently on the Princess web site:

MedallionNet®
The Best Wi-Fi at Sea

Fast. Reliable. Unlimited. Affordable. Now on all ships.

Fast and Reliable Internet

MedallionNet Wi-Fi sets the industry standard for internet at sea. FaceTime your pooch in the morning. Stream your favorite shows by the pool in the afternoon. Post your Chocolate Journeys dessert from your dinner table. Thanks to state-of-the-art technology, you can now stay connected with Wi-Fi coverage as you sail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

They scaled back production shows before covid.  They made them shorter to fit in with dining schedules, as I remember.  Don't know if that's necessary now.

Some history on the length of the shows in the Princess Theater

o They used to be about 55 minutes long.

o Two performances meant the performers were on for 120 minutes an evening

o Because demand to see the shows was high, they changed to having three performances

o But they reduced the length of the shows to 40 minutes so that with three performances the performers were still on for 120 minutes an evening.

o Then they cut back to two performances, but kept the shorter length of the shows.

I was on the Discovery Princess in June, the wi-fi was the only issue I had with the cruise.  I was at least prepared for that thanks to these boards.  I am an extremely early riser, was getting up between 3AM and 4AM during the cruise.  I will say that the wi-fi was usable when in the Piazza at around 4:30 AM each morning, including the morning sailing into Skagway.

I never had any problems with the Medallion App while onboard or before the cruise, my dad had issues just once during the cruise, and my mom had to log off and log back in to the App whenever she wanted to use it.  I have an iPhone 13, my dad an iPhone 11, and my mom and iPhone 7.  Based on this extremely small sample, it would appear the app works better on newer phones.

We did go to the Rock Opera show onboard, I thought it was okay.  In my opinion the best Princess production show is still On the Bayou. We didn't go to any other shows, this was by far the most relaxing cruise I have taken.

The ship was beautiful and the crew was amazing.

13 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

Hi,  we did laundry on the Discovery last week Thursday and there was no charge for the self service laundry and even for the laundry detergent and dryer sheets.  The Medallion app had an option to have laundry detergent delivered so we placed an order for it.  But our steward, must have seen our request and knocked on our door to tell us the detergent was in the laundry room.   The app said there was a fee for dryer sheets but those were also available in the laundry room for no charge.  

There were no token slots on the machines.

Thank you for the information!!

• Like 1

I was on the Discovery Princess on the Sept 4th Alaska cruise.  I was surprised at how underwhelming the "production" shows were.  Both of them were just folks singing and dancing to songs we all know.  No special effects or acrobatics or anything flashy at all.  Rock Opera had some fancy costumes but the other show (set I. A coffee shop) didn't even have that.  I was on Carnival Magic a month earlier and their shoes had lasers and special effects and all sorts of cool stuff - and Carnival is meant to be the budget cruise line.  Princess was a real let down.  The singers were quite good but the shows felt really cheap.

7 minutes ago, ladychater said:

I was on the Discovery Princess on the Sept 4th Alaska cruise.  I was surprised at how underwhelming the "production" shows were.  Both of them were just folks singing and dancing to songs we all know. 

Historically, that has been the content of most Princess production shows.

I just got off the Discovery yesterday. I was a bit worried going on this trip with Princess, based on the many bad reviews there were. I found nothing to outwardly to complain about.  Yes the internet was terrible. But we are in the middle of the ocean. The staff remembered us and always said hi, even knew what drink we were to have before we ordered it. I saw the comedian. He was funny. Saw rock opera, did not enjoy. Too loud and I did not enjoy the songs. But I frequent major concerts, etc. I did enjoy the enrichment programs and the talk with the captain. The 

main dining room staff, worked so hard. They remembered us even after day one. They even requested us to be at there section each time. They were happy to do a small order of some pasta, and mix up our meal as we would like it.  Kaduk from Bali was funny. He also encouraged my friend to not have just one desert, she could try both.  I only ordered a drink from the app twice, while I was in the hot tub and while I was whale watching while sailing, it worked like a champ. MHO. I found it just as easy to walk up to a bar to get something. For someone to  grab some cake for you and deliver to your room, I would think it would take a long time to get. I never needed to be found, or cared about being found. So that did not appeal to me, or did I need to use it. 
The cruise staff did a great job with the trivia’s and mid day things in the Princess live We found them to be so funny, and went to multiple skits. We had plenty of drawers, hangers in the room. The only thing that was odd to me, was our patio was always wet in the am, we had an aft balcony on deck 14, 2 below the wake pool. I should have asked why. I did not smell smoke from the top where they allowed smoking, and only minimal soot. 

main dining room staff, were just as good, remembered us even after day one. They even requested us to be at there section each time. They were happy to do a small order of some pasta.