Nieuw Statendam 9/7 - 9/17 Review: Wait... I won a free cruise?

cwd79

OP, I just wanted to point out that your free Cruise likely does not need to be in the Caribbean or Mexico, in spite of what the letter says.  When I called to redeem my free cruise, I was told it could be used anywhere; it was basically a credit.  I used it on a Pacific Coast cruise and upgraded the room.  When you call the number on the letter, ask about that.  Things may have changed since my experience.  Congratulations!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

OP, I just wanted to point out that your free Cruise likely does not need to be in the Caribbean or Mexico, in spite of what the letter says.  When I called to redeem my free cruise, I was told it could be used anywhere; it was basically a credit.  I used it on a Pacific Coast cruise and upgraded the room.  When you call the number on the letter, ask about that.  Things may have changed since my experience.  Congratulations!

Thank you SO much for adding this info. Hubby and I have been looking and there are slim pickings for Mexico cruises... I will call and see what they say. Thanks again!!!

On 9/18/2022 at 9:26 AM, cwd79 said:

Husband is wearing nice khaki shorts and a collared shirt. Well, he was “short-shamed”

I am very surprised to hear that.  We were on the NS in August and had dinner in Club Orange several times.  I didn't think about the dress code when my husband decided to wear shorts one evening.  The maitre de quietly reminded us that long pants were required, but he would make an exception.  There was certainly no "shaming" involved and it was handled very discretely.

1 hour ago, JeannineWW said:

I am very surprised to hear that.  We were on the NS in August and had dinner in Club Orange several times.  I didn't think about the dress code when my husband decided to wear shorts one evening.  The maitre de quietly reminded us that long pants were required, but he would make an exception.  There was certainly no "shaming" involved and it was handled very discretely.

We were surprised as well because he spoke loud enough for the guests eating dinner near the host stand to turn towards us and stare. We offered to go change but he already had his back to us and was speaking with a server and then we were taken to our table. We now know so we are educated for next time. 

2 minutes ago, cwd79 said:

We were surprised as well because he spoke loud enough for the guests eating dinner near the host stand to turn towards us and stare. We offered to go change but he already had his back to us and was speaking with a server and then we were taken to our table. We now know so we are educated for next time. 

Shaming a guest is never something an employee should do.  It should have been done tactfully.   Imagine this being a first impression of someone brand new to cruising-I certainly wouldn’t ever return to the same cruise line.