aarp gift cards

happywandering

I had trouble purchasing five AARP Holland gift cards with my Costco/Citi Visa card.  I got an email from Costco saying there was suspected fraud and asked if I knew about the attempted transaction.  I answered yes and automated reply was to re-submit the charge.  It still didn't work.

I called the AARP number that came with the notice of failure.  A nice person asked me to try a setting change in my browser, It still didn't work.  While she was preparing to move my case up to the next level, I tried a different card.  I used my Amazon Visa, it went through like a charm and I had the card numbers with-in and hour.   YMMV

On 7/28/2023 at 3:38 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yet in the below post you are assuming there will be 'no problem with reimbursement on the trip cancellation & trip interruption...." as long as you have a paper trail. 

image.png.45fd0f060fa0d5b171a9b6a5ef537b5f.png

You also assumed that I am 'negative about using AARP gift cards". Couldn't be farther from the truth. I think the gift cards are great and I'm all for savings whenever I can. But based on what I've researched, I will never use these AARP gift cards for a cruise purchase thinking that they are protected by the Trip coverage offered by Chase Sapphire Preferred. 

All you need do is pay a part of the cruise with that Credit card &  then the cruise is covered ,check it out 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2023 at 3:30 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Predictably, you will decide to get offended rather than take it on board and do something about it.

Actually, I HAVE said the same kind of thing to my own parents, about 10 years ago, when I suspect they were about the same age that you are now. They were active HAL cruisers but now at 91 and 96, their cruising days are over.

I just retired this year. It is one of my big fears that technology know-how will outrun me now that I am no longer working (and thus have to adapt to the numerous changes and demands of technology every year). If someone made such a comment to me I would think about whether or not the shoe fit -- and if it did, I'd try to do something about it.

Numerous resources are available online. What do millennials and younger ages do when confronted with a technological issue that they can't solve on their own?  They Google "How do you _______" and then find a video or step-by-step instructions. 

Did you not read about all of the older folks stranded by the cruise lines on lengthy World Cruises or similar when Covid struck in early 2020? Some adult children had to fly halfway around the world to help elderly parents get home. Others had to wait with hearts racing and fingers crossed while those elderly parents had to negotiate getting home on their own, with very little help given by the cruise lines. 

That was a wake-up point to me. I would never sign up to travel somewhere if I were not self-sufficient enough to manage my own travel, including rebooking flights, managing my luggage, having to fill out forms online and via my phone, etc. 

e understand that concern ;however ,not every one my age is a invalid or worse .I personally exercise every day & have a decent diet .so I am in good shape .Oy is my wife who can walk but has a bad knee ,she can't fly because she has a ear problem ;other  wise would go to the Caribbean ;where there are many cruises . what we do have is  many years of experience . We will never let technology stop us .. We got the approval because we did face time on our Cell phones & our grandson told us what steps to tale . He is a grad student a SDSU  in Cyber Security . 

I like to add we have  America Grit which sadly is not part of our society as a whole today   

Edited by mcrcruiser

We just got the $200 added to our Jan 2025 Hawaii cruise & we refared the October 2024  cruise to get another $200 in AARP on board credits add to those we will get the $250 each cruise in the owner ship of the 100 shares of CCL stock & the extra OBCs  that the Travel Agent gives to us.We take thise credits & use them for special restaurants ,some drinks  no wifi we are on vacation . Every so often we may take a HAL your if it one we like

21 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We just got the $200 added to our Jan 2025 Hawaii cruise & we refared the October 2024  cruise to get another $200 in AARP on board credits add to those we will get the $250 each cruise in the owner ship of the 100 shares of CCL stock & the extra OBCs  that the Travel Agent gives to us.We take thise credits & use them for special restaurants ,some drinks  no wifi we are on vacation . Every so often we may take a HAL your if it one we like

Was your Jan 2025 a new booking?  If not, how did you get this added?  Did you call HAL or did a travel agent do this for you?

Edited by harleylover

1 hour ago, harleylover said:

Was your Jan 2025 a new booking?  If not, how did you get this added?  Did you call HAL or did a travel agent do this for you?

Go to the HAL website and click on Cruise Deals. Scroll down through the offerings and you will see the AARP OBC offer. Click on that ace follow the instructions. They ask for your mariner number and your AARP member number. It takes 5 minutes to fill out. Once you do that, it automatically applies to certain newly booked cruises. If you have already put the deposit down on one, you will not get the AARP deal. It must be a new booking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harleylover said:

The Jan 2025 is a new booking .The Oct 2024 we had booked but our TA can refare it as a new booking , no changes