Duffy's Love Shack or Greengo's

Spikedr

Duffy’s is a late night spot, or at least happy hour and after. We end our night there for sing alongs, fishbowl drinks, and fun! We like Island Time for pizza…

Red Hook is not worth a special trip during a cruise stop…If you are going through after hitting one of the East End or STJ beaches it’s worth a walkabout, otherwise no…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

Duffy’s is a late night spot, or at least happy hour and after. We end our night there for sing alongs, fishbowl drinks, and fun! We like Island Time for pizza…

Red Hook is not worth a special trip during a cruise stop…If you are going through after hitting one of the East End or STJ beaches it’s worth a walkabout, otherwise no…

Thanks. Have you been to Greengo's?

I liked the chicken nachos I had at Gringos. There were some other dishes I didn't like. If you live in an area that has lots of Mexican theme restaurants Gringos might not be that great to you. I was watching a YouTube video on cruising the other day, and one ship had a very impressive taco bar. 

Benitos Burritos is across from the Havensight dock, and they have another location at Nisky Center which is within walking distance of the Crown Bay dock. The advantage of those locations is there are several restaurants close enough together that you can get food from several and eat at the tables outside if it's not too busy. 

The Havensight location has pizza, coffee, and a craft beer restaurant. Nisky has fish and chips, Spanish Caribbean, cheap Chinese, and a Subway.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ms411 said:

I liked the chicken nachos I had at Gringos. There were some other dishes I didn't like. If you live in an area that has lots of Mexican theme restaurants Gringos might not be that great to you. I was watching a YouTube video on cruising the other day, and one ship had a very impressive taco bar. 

Benitos Burritos is across from the Havensight dock, and they have another location at Nisky Center which is within walking distance of the Crown Bay dock. The advantage of those locations is there are several restaurants close enough together that you can get food from several and eat at the tables outside if it's not too busy. 

The Havensight location has pizza, coffee, and a craft beer restaurant. Nisky has fish and chips, Spanish Caribbean, cheap Chinese, and a Subway.

Thanks. I just saw pics from Greengo's that looked good. I grew up in So Cal, but live outside of Nashville now so I have had plenty of great Mexican and lots of gringo Mexican. I guess I will just see what strikes me when I am there. Thanks for the tip on the Nisky Center. We dock in Crown Bay.

2 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Ha, ha! Bluewater and I don't have same tastes in food. Tickles is American diner food.

I was agreeing with crewsweeper’s comment MS411…fun drinks vibe, etc… 😉

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

Duffy's has fun drinks. Tickles serves theirs in "disposable" plastic cups. Imo someone on a cruise would want something they probably can't get on the ship, and imo Tickles food is comparable to cruise food. The bars at Crown Bay make fun drinks, but don't sell in fun glassware.

I miss Senor Frogs which had fun drinks and great music. Hope they can find a way to return.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

🤣I consider dive bars as ones that have big bottles of bush rum on the bar or that have mamajuana. Lots of men drinking and talking. Bars where serious drinkers go. The Rum Hut in town comes to mind for drinking and talking, but I don't think they have bush rum.

13 hours ago, Ms411 said:

I miss Senor Frogs which had fun drinks and great music. Hope they can find a way to return.

Different strokes for different folks.  To me, Senor Frogs is a tourista trap!  And Big Red Solo Cups are indeed dive bar fixtures. But maybe the OP should head to Bolongo Bay and try Iggies.

• Thanks 1

Senor Frogs was one place where you could dance and party during the day, and they led the guests in all the popular line dances, and had fun drinks. They also made guacamole at your table.😊

When I travel I like to try new food, and I mostly recommend restaurants that offer local food. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Different strokes for different folks.  To me, Senor Frogs is a tourista trap!  And Big Red Solo Cups are indeed dive bar fixtures. But maybe the OP should head to Bolongo Bay and try Iggies.

Agree again crewsweeper…

14 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Duffy's has fun drinks. Tickles serves theirs in "disposable" plastic cups. Imo someone on a cruise would want something they probably can't get on the ship, and imo Tickles food is comparable to cruise food. The bars at Crown Bay make fun drinks, but don't sell in fun glassware.

LOL! your opinions matter ms411, but so do others’…

And Senor Frogs is one of the most touristy and boring chains out there…just our opinion mind you 😉

Just wondering no Senor Frogs in St. Thomas??  Due to covid my cruises have been canceled but I usually go to Senor Frogs at the Pier as my last stop before boarding the ship to the next island, I agree you can spend money there but since I am on vacation, I will spend it as long as I do not miss getting on board I do not want to be filmed as a runner.  If this is the case, I guess I will have to spend time at Senor Frogs in San Juan

Sam

3 hours ago, Sam The Cat said:

Just wondering no Senor Frogs in St. Thomas??  Due to covid my cruises have been canceled but I usually go to Senor Frogs at the Pier as my last stop before boarding the ship to the next island, I agree you can spend money there but since I am on vacation, I will spend it as long as I do not miss getting on board I do not want to be filmed as a runner.  If this is the case, I guess I will have to spend time at Senor Frogs in San Juan

Sam

Well, Tap and Still, Mojos and Shipwreck's are still there in Havensight.

As of today no Senor Frogs, but that could hopefully change next year. There are plans for a hotel in the area so that could encourage more night life nearby.

The other places don't have dancing during the day which is what I liked.

Ok thanks for the info.     I will have to go to them since my shopping only lasts 1/2 hour and I will need something to do till it is time to get back on the ship.   I lived in San Juan for 2 years and was called back 3 other times to help out on something but I spent my free time in St. Thomas with no time at the beach even though I did live on the beach for 8 months it was not worth the money that I had to pay for rent,   When I was called back I lived at a hotel where I got a free breakfast had a nice restaurant which served good food and then I could walk around and act like a tourist but not spend the money like a tourist.   

We will be stopping in San Juan 2 times in August 2024 on the same cruise first time will be from 3pm and we leave at 10pm the other will be during the day leaving at 4pm I think so I will have time to go to Senor Frogs in San Juan.  I am not much of a partier, but I went there since it was near the pier, and you should have to run to get on the ship

Sam