Uniworld Bordeaux Overnights

Los_Pepes

We are heading to Bordeaux in a few weeks to do a Uniworld cruise. While I have the itinerary, I am finding it hard to discern where the boat spends each night. If you have done this trip, would you please share what towns we will overnight? My wife wants to start looking at restaurants for the occasional dinner off of the ship.

Thanks in advance. 

Hi

The Uniworld website shows overnights in Bordeaux, Blaye, Bourg, Cadillac & Fort Medoc. All except last have restaurants within a short walk of the mooring.

But I'd suggest caution in booking in advance as the exact itinerary of the boat is dependent on the tide:  passage inland from Bordeaux and back again is dependent on when low tide is as that's the only time hotel boats can pass under the Pont de Pierre (Stone Bridge at Bordeaux. 

The towns visited, apart from Bordeaux are small country towns and although they have some restaurants, they are not gourmet destinations. I'd suggest you'll get better food (and free wine) on board.

Edited by pontac
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, pontac said:

Hi

The Uniworld website shows overnights in Bordeaux, Blaye, Bourg, Cadillac & Fort Medoc. All except last have restaurants within a short walk of the mooring.

But I'd suggest caution in booking in advance as the exact itinerary of the boat is dependent on the tide:  passage inland from Bordeaux and back again is dependent on when low tide is as that's the only time hotel boats can pass under the Pont de Pierre (Stone Bridge at Bordeaux. 

The towns visited, apart from Bordeaux are small country towns and although they have some restaurants, they are not gourmet destinations. I'd suggest you'll get better food (and free wine) on board.

Thanks for reply. I couldn't tell that we overnighted at the ports they listed. It was a tad ambiguous. Now that I know we overnight at each one, I can start scoping out restaurants that we might want to try. This will be our 6th Uniworld and know that the food is awesome, but we still do a dinner or two off of the boat for a little more immersion. Thanks for the reply!

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

My eldest daughters in-laws have just returned from there Bordeaux  cruise and had a fantastic time but at one point had to be bussed a little further than normal to a venue because of low water. 

Good to know. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Canal archive said:

My eldest daughters in-laws have just returned from there Bordeaux  cruise and had a fantastic time but at one point had to be bussed a little further than normal to a venue because of low water. 

It'd be nice to know when was this, and where was it that had low water. Because I am surprised as the water ways are tidal, and there was plenty of water when we were there in the last week of August. I can only think it was for a short while at low tide up the Dordogne or Garonne. The furthest inland on this trip is Cadillac on the Garonne and Libourne on Dordogne.

However, sandbanks keep forming and reforming; perhaps one formed to block access to a mooring.

The distance by road is not far, nowhere visited is very far from Bordeaux - Cadillac is 42km by road, 45 mins by fast road, 54 mins on the longest route. Libourne is 44km, again under 1 hour from Bordeaux, fastest time 51 mins. *

So I don't think that @Los_Pepes needs to worry about a spoiled trip. As you say, @Canal archive your relative only had to bussed 'a little further', but It'd be nice to know where the boat couldn't get to.

Nothing like the poor devils booked on other rivers that have to bussed the entire way....

*according to Googel Maps

Edited by pontac

On 9/28/2022 at 12:00 PM, pontac said:

Hi

Hey Pontac,

It seems like you have done this trip before. Was it on Uniworld? Even if it wasn't, any tips, insights or advice? Thanks!

We did this cruise a few weeks ago but on Viking.  The dock in Pauillac is under some construction so no docking was allowed there and we bussed to the winery that was the scheduled visit and dinner.  So it was twice as long on the bus as it should have been.  However I received a letter from Viking weeks in advance explaining this matter.

We did stay docked in Bordeaux (a fun, beautiful city) for most of the trip but that was on the itinerary.

3 minutes ago, caradara said:

We did this cruise a few weeks ago but on Viking.  The dock in Pauillac is under some construction so no docking was allowed there and we bussed to the winery that was the scheduled visit and dinner.  So it was twice as long on the bus as it should have been.  However I received a letter from Viking weeks in advance explaining this matter.

We did stay docked in Bordeaux (a fun, beautiful city) for most of the trip but that was on the itinerary.

Thanks for reply. How many nights were you docked in Bordeaux? 

I think 4 of 7 which was a lot.  It's on the itinerary but I guess that we didn't catch it.  Plus the tide is huge so we had a lower level balcony with a view of the wall and storm sewer distribution during the day.  It was still a lovely trip (I came home with Covid to top it off!).

1 hour ago, caradara said:

I think 4 of 7 which was a lot.  It's on the itinerary but I guess that we didn't catch it.  Plus the tide is huge so we had a lower level balcony with a view of the wall and storm sewer distribution during the day.  It was still a lovely trip (I came home with Covid to top it off!).

You made the best of it. Thankfully you didn't pay for a French Balcony just so you could see a little higher up on that same wall!

On 9/30/2022 at 12:19 PM, Los_Pepes said:

Hey Pontac,

It seems like you have done this trip before. Was it on Uniworld? Even if it wasn't, any tips, insights or advice? Thanks!

No, previous Bordeaux trip was with Viking. For tips, see my review of my Scenic trip in August