Save a Sea Turtle Excursion by Carnival

msbmommy99

Sea turtle excursion was amazing.  We walked to the end of the pier from the ship.  We found our guide and signed in with our name and email and gave him our ticket. His name was Nacho and his helper was William.  They were great.  We waited 10 minutes to leave.  Walked to and loaded an open air bus.  Nacho told us what to expect during the tour.  We drove about 20-30 minutes to the beach with Nacho explaining things to us as we drove.  We got to the beach and they gave us gloves.  I am allergic to latex so I took my own.  They explained how to dig for the turtles.  We were split into groups of 6.  We had a big umbrella that shaded the spot we were digging in.  We started digging and the sand kept caving in from the sides.  We dug for about 15 minutes and asked the biologist to come check ours. We were digging a couple inches in the wrong direction.  So we started moved to the correct spot and immediately started finding hatched eggs, shells, and then we found our turtle! It was a white albino sea turtle!  There is a chance of one in a million to find an albino sea turtle.   He was the cutest thing.  Flapping his arms immediately.  He was approximately 2 days old according to the biologist.  They can last 2-4 days in the hole.  We put sand in the bucket and placed him in the bucket.  We named him James because the person who was digging at the time he was found was James.  We all took pictures with James.  The biologist took him so that others could get pictures with him.  We ended up finding about 120 shells and unhatched eggs.  The smell was terrible.  Flies started swarming the eggs. We were told to put the eggs in a pile of 10 so that the biologist could easily count how many were found.  The biologist was going to keep James until that evening so that he could flap his arms to walk to the ocean when it was darker out and they would have better chance of survival.  We were given a cold bottle of water.  In all our busload found 2 regular colored green sea turtles and our albino turtle.  It was so awesome to hold these precious babies and know that we were trying to help them survive.  We loaded back on the bus and went to a beach for lunch.   We had a chance to shower off and get the sand off of us.  We sat at the restaurant and ordered food and drinks.  The food was good and drinks were cold.  There were lots of vendors who came by to sell us their trinkets and such.  We also had the opportunity to purchase the picture that was taken of us with James.  We then had time to hang on the beach.  We used the hammocks to relax and cool off.  Once that was over (about an hour and a half) we loaded the bus back to the ship.  We had time to shop a little once back at port and take a few pictures.  I would definitely recommend this tour!  It was a once in a lifetime experience.  It was amazing.  Nacho and William were awesome tour guides!  

Edited by msbmommy99
Want to post my review and not upload a file.
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, msbmommy99 said:

Sea turtle excursion was amazing.  We walked to the end of the pier from the ship.  We found our guide and signed in with our name and email and gave him our ticket. His name was Nacho and his helper was William.  They were great.  We waited 10 minutes to leave.  Walked to and loaded an open air bus.  Nacho told us what to expect during the tour.  We drove about 20-30 minutes to the beach with Nacho explaining things to us as we drove.  We got to the beach and they gave us gloves.  I am allergic to latex so I took my own.  They explained how to dig for the turtles.  We were split into groups of 6.  We had a big umbrella that shaded the spot we were digging in.  We started digging and the sand kept caving in from the sides.  We dug for about 15 minutes and asked the biologist to come check ours. We were digging a couple inches in the wrong direction.  So we started moved to the correct spot and immediately started finding hatched eggs, shells, and then we found our turtle! It was a white albino sea turtle!  There is a chance of one in a million to find an albino sea turtle.   He was the cutest thing.  Flapping his arms immediately.  He was approximately 2 days old according to the biologist.  They can last 2-4 days in the hole.  We put sand in the bucket and placed him in the bucket.  We named him James because the person who was digging at the time he was found was James.  We all took pictures with James.  The biologist took him so that others could get pictures with him.  We ended up finding about 120 shells and unhatched eggs.  The smell was terrible.  Flies started swarming the eggs. We were told to put the eggs in a pile of 10 so that the biologist could easily count how many were found.  The biologist was going to keep James until that evening so that he could flap his arms to walk to the ocean when it was darker out and they would have better chance of survival.  We were given a cold bottle of water.  In all our busload found 2 regular colored green sea turtles and our albino turtle.  It was so awesome to hold these precious babies and know that we were trying to help them survive.  We loaded back on the bus and went to a beach for lunch.   We had a chance to shower off and get the sand off of us.  We sat at the restaurant and ordered food and drinks.  The food was good and drinks were cold.  There were lots of vendors who came by to sell us their trinkets and such.  We also had the opportunity to purchase the picture that was taken of us with James.  We then had time to hang on the beach.  We used the hammocks to relax and cool off.  Once that was over (about an hour and a half) we loaded the bus back to the ship.  We had time to shop a little once back at port and take a few pictures.  I would definitely recommend this tour!  It was a once in a lifetime experience.  It was amazing.  Nacho and William were awesome tour guides!  

Was this a ship excursion or independent? Thanks for the report and glad you enjoyed. How bad was the sargassum?

Do you know which beach club you went to?