Any Private Cabana Options in Cozumel?

MississippiMom

We have been to the Cozumel port before, so we understand that it won’t be like a cruise line private island situation, but is there anywhere to go that will give us that exclusive cabana experience

Chaankanab appears to have cabanas now, but food & drink are extra.  Plus there’s only that rocky beach option and not something you actually walk into.

What are you looking for in a "Private Cabana" experience?

Waiters waiting only on your cabana.

An enclosed Cabana versus loungers under your own Palapa or umbrella.

Cozumel has every type of beach club, experience available.

Quiet, relaxing AI like Nachi Cocum. (due to capping the amount of people per day)

More of a party atmosphere with AI or PAYG like Mr. Sanchos.

Kind of right between the two at Paradise beach.

AI with lots for kids to do at Playa Mia.

And dozens of other places running the gamut.

Knowing exactly what you want in your Private Cabana experience would help folks in here guide you in finding your best day.

I've done private cabanas on Half Moon Cay many times, which was nothing like I saw on cabana days on Coco Cay.

Edited by bguppies

3 hours ago, bguppies said:

Quiet, relaxing AI like Nachi Cocum. (due to capping the amount of people per day)

Knowing exactly what you want in your Private Cabana experience would help folks in here guide you in finding your best day.

I've done private cabanas on Half Moon Cay many times, which was nothing like I saw on cabana days on Coco Cay.

I agree it would help if you described what you are expecting. There are very few actual “cabanas” on Cozumel.

Cabana Beach actually receives quite good reviews although the price is creeping back up towards pre-Covid shut down. They have been good value during promotion. Their original price seemed excessive but it depends on what people are willing to pay.

More places available that are just AI or day beds but it depends what you require.

• 4 months later...
On 10/5/2022 at 1:41 PM, bguppies said:

Completely fine of waiters are covering several cabanas.  I would be fine with loungers under umbrellas, but I think the hubby wants something fancier.

We have been to Paradise Beach, when it was all PAYG, and really enjoyed it.  But we aren’t convinced it’s worth the AI price, since we aren’t interested in the inflatables.

Hate the idea of Playa Mia or Mr Sanchos, as neither sounds relaxing.  Nachi Cocum sounds very promising.

We have never been to Half Moon Cay, but have experienced private cabana life at CocoCay and Labadee, and those are the experiences my husband is searching for.  He wants to be able to sit in the shade and have drinks and food brought to him.  Maybe take a nap in there or on a nearby hammock.

I JUST realized I had never answered.  And I still need some recommendations.

On 10/5/2022 at 5:09 PM, c-leg5 said:

I agree it would help if you described what you are expecting. There are very few actual “cabanas” on Cozumel.

Cabana Beach actually receives quite good reviews although the price is creeping back up towards pre-Covid shut down. They have been good value during promotion. Their original price seemed excessive but it depends on what people are willing to pay.

More places available that are just AI or day beds but it depends what you require.

I am really leaning toward Cabana Beach, since I would like to be able to walk around Chankanaab and look around.

21 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

I am really leaning toward Cabana Beach, since I would like to be able to walk around Chankanaab and look around.

I think Cabana Beach is more the type of cabana location you are probably looking for but as you are aware it isn’t all-inclusive although i am sure there is waiter service. Chankanaab does have a small walk-in beach but not in the vicinity of the cabanas.

I did notice while browsing recently that Buccanos has a couple of elevated day beds that can be reserved that look relaxing with a view but again not AI and again it has a small, semi rocky beach area.

Also some hotels that have AI passes have day beds. I remembered Hotel B unique, which may have the quieter ambiance you are looking for but i don’t know if you can reserve the day beds with a day pass, maybe first come first served snd taken by hotel guests, you would need to check with the hotel. Again no sandy beach.

• Thanks 1

We would love a cabana with air conditioning to escape the heat and sun, but it seems the only option that I’ve seen is cabana beach. But, lack of sandy beach water access is a no go for us. Anyone know of another?

We have kids that love the inflatables, so our thoughts right now is Playa Mia, and using the food area to escape the heat/sun. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

We would love a cabana with air conditioning to escape the heat and sun, but it seems the only option that I’ve seen is cabana beach. But, lack of sandy beach water access is a no go for us. Anyone know of another?

We have kids that love the inflatables, so our thoughts right now is Playa Mia, and using the food area to escape the heat/sun. 

Not sure any have AC other than Mr Sanchos Spa suites which are adult-only. On Cozumel most seem to be more “day bed type cabanas”  that I have seen but I haven’t experienced any so I am sure someone can correct that. 

Chankanaab does have small walk in beach as stated above but you would have to go into the park area otherwise it is a “sandy area” around the palapas.

With young kids we have enjoyed day passes to resort hotels, especially Park Royal which didn’t require any transport or car seats from International. I presume your kids are older if they are into inflatables? We welcomed the inside buffet with AC as a break from the beach and pool. However this was pre-Covid and our stay at the hotel in 2021 was not up to previous standards. Hopefully they have recovered since then. You would need to research current reviews for update.

There are lots of other hotels offering day passes.

Edited by c-leg5

The cabanas at The Cabana Beach have a ceiling fan (and an electrical plug) that does help a bit, plus obviously you're in the shade. The space around you is sandy, but the entry into the water is metal steps because you're on the rocky part of the island. If you like snorkeling, there are lots of colorful fish as soon as you get into the water there - that is the biggest advantage IMO to being in that location rather than the sandy entry into the water that you find further south at the popular beach clubs. There are also some hammocks around if you want to use them.

The wait staff will come around and take orders, but it is not a huge place so there won't be dedicated staff for one cabana; there is just general wait staff around working the bar and the kitchen. We didn't eat much there, but from what we did have, I didn't find the food to be that great. If you want to go into Chankanaab, the higher # cabana are closer to the "border" (i.e. rope) that separates the two spaces. They may have taken that down now because everyone has to buy an individual guest pass that includes admission to the park when you book a cabana. When we went, the admission was optional but we did purchase the passes so we had a separate ticket to Chankanaab from the Cabana Beach. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2023 at 11:06 AM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Any luck finding something?

In the past, I have been pretty good at doing my own research on our port destinations, but I seem to be a little "stumped" (maybe, overwhelmed might be the better word) with the right place for us in Cozumel.  I had no idea that RCCL private island (spoiled us) stops on our last cruise would impact us so much when looking for a place to hang out in Cozumel.

2 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

Any luck finding something?

In the past, I have been pretty good at doing my own research on our port destinations, but I seem to be a little "stumped" (maybe, overwhelmed might be the better word) with the right place for us in Cozumel.  I had no idea that RCCL private island (spoiled us) stops on our last cruise would impact us so much when looking for a place to hang out in Cozumel.

We were heavily leaning towards Playa Mia. They at least have a large tent like area with tables and chairs where the buffet is to get out of the sun.  

But, instead I think we're going to do a catamaran snorkel and beach.  It's only 1.5 hours on the beach, which will be good without much escape from the sun. Also, we have a cabana booked for Mahogany Bay, 2 days earlier.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 12:06 AM, MississippiMom said:

When are you planning on going? We have 2 cabanas reserved in December 2023.

I saw when I reserved that rental includes fruit platter/guacamole. 

We want to do several things at Chankanaab Park... manatee swim, dolphin swim. Hopefully we can book the day of.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LadyMac72 said:

We want to do several things at Chankanaab Park... manatee swim, dolphin swim. Hopefully we can book the day of.

I wouldn’t risk booking day of on a cruise ship day to fit in with your schedule, unless things have changed. 

Of course in December you may have weather challenges. 

On 4/9/2023 at 8:19 AM, LadyMac72 said:

July 2023.  We still haven't booked any excursions, but plan on wrapping that up by the end of April at the latest.  There are 20 of us cruising together, with 3 others who might join.  Initially, each family was doing their own thing at both ports, but now 15 out of the 20 want to all be together on a beach in Cozumel.  Lots of price points and lots to consider when there are 15 in the group.

22 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

July 2023.  We still haven't booked any excursions, but plan on wrapping that up by the end of April at the latest.  There are 20 of us cruising together, with 3 others who might join.  Initially, each family was doing their own thing at both ports, but now 15 out of the 20 want to all be together on a beach in Cozumel.  Lots of price points and lots to consider when there are 15 in the group.

This might be throwing a curveball at your group, but the fury catamaran sail and snorkel (which is what we settled on) might be a good option for you.  It leaves from the cruise ship pier, so transport isn't an issue.  Snorkeling is about a half hour, but the option is there to relax on the boat. Then you have an hour and a half on the beach, drinks included, with some water inflatables and (I think) kayaks and paddle boards included, and then back to the port.  For our itinerary, we get back with plenty of time to explore the port before all aboard.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

This might be throwing a curveball at your group, but the fury catamaran sail and snorkel (which is what we settled on) might be a good option for you.  It leaves from the cruise ship pier, so transport isn't an issue.  Snorkeling is about a half hour, but the option is there to relax on the boat. Then you have an hour and a half on the beach, drinks included, with some water inflatables and (I think) kayaks and paddle boards included, and then back to the port.  For our itinerary, we get back with plenty of time to explore the port before all aboard.

At this point, the biggest curveball was discovering that almost everyone wants to Cozumel together. It will be fun, don't misunderstand me, but it definitely changes things, since not everyone has the same budget.  Plus, now there are both children and mobility challenged folks mixed in the group.  

16 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

At this point, the biggest curveball was discovering that almost everyone wants to Cozumel together. It will be fun, don't misunderstand me, but it definitely changes things, since not everyone has the same budget.  Plus, now there are both children and mobility challenged folks mixed in the group.  

The fury catamaran is good for both children and mobility challenged, actually.  That's one of the reasons we chose it, as this will be my 82 year old father in law's first cruise.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

The fury catamaran is good for both children and mobility challenged, actually.  That's one of the reasons we chose it, as this will be my 82 year old father in law's first cruise.

Now, I'm definitely intrigued.  Thank you so much for letting me know.  I'll check it out!