first alaskan cruise question

coastiewifern

Hi my husband and I will be taking our first cruise to Alaska summer 2023 and I have a few questions. First I will tell you when only have time for a 7 day cruise. I do tend to get seasick but usually do well if not on a small ship and take Bonine daily. We really would enjoy learning about the area from naturalists. We do enjoy good food and drinks on the cruise but don't care much about other amenities. Although a good show is a bonus! I'd love to see whales and bears.

1. Suggestions on the itinerary

2. Suggestions on month to go

3. best ship to suit our travel style

4. excursions not to be missed

Thank you!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coastiewifern said:

Hi my husband and I will be taking our first cruise to Alaska summer 2023 and I have a few questions. First I will tell you when only have time for a 7 day cruise. I do tend to get seasick but usually do well if not on a small ship and take Bonine daily. We really would enjoy learning about the area from naturalists. We do enjoy good food and drinks on the cruise but don't care much about other amenities. Although a good show is a bonus! I'd love to see whales and bears.

Thank you!

We are taking our first and only trip to Alaska (bucket list item). After much research, questions, help on these forums etc and trying to decide between land as well as cruise, I finally asked myself the question- if I do land tour, I can see beautiful mountains, scenery etc in many places but I can’t see glaciers, the spectacular scenery on the water etc that we will see on the cruise. So that settled it! We’re doing 14 day glacier grand adventure with princess.(on the Grand)  Return Vancouver may 6-20.

we are flying into Vancouver on may 1st so we spend five days in Vancouver prior to cruise. We plan to go over to Victoria so I can see butchart gardens, plus lots of other sightseeing there.

I know you only have 7 days so other choices to make. Our particular cruise visits the main ports twice (Juneau, Skagway, kechigan) plus four days cruising diff glaciers. We have whale watching and white pass train booked so far. Plus turnaround point is anchorage, where we have booked 26 glacier sight seeing.

we are coming from Australia and I am beyond excited 🥰🥰🥰🥳🥳🥳. All the best with your planning 

• Like 2

Hi there!  Doing our first Alaskan trip in June of 2023.  We are doing a cruisetour with Princess Cruises.  I figured that if I'm going all the way out there, try to get as much done as possible!  We are doing a 5 day land tour and 7 day cruise.  The land tour starts in Fairbanks.  We are flying in early Saturday (1:30 AM) even though our land tour truly doesn't start until Tuesday.  This gives us a few days in Fairbanks to acclimate to the time change (we're from Florida) and to explore Fairbanks as well.  I have a salmon bake, gold mining, and reindeer ranch activities planned.  On Tuesday we go on a riverboat excursion in Fairbanks and then travel down to the Denali Princess Lodge.  Wednesday doing a Natural History tour in Denali National Park.  Thursday we take the glass dome rail down to Talkeetna and go to the Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge. Friday we head down to Anchorage for the day.  On Saturday we head to the port in Whittier stopping at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center enroute.  Boarding the cruise on Saturday, here is our itinerary:

Sunday - Hubbard Glacier

Monday - Glacier Bay National Park

Tuesday - Icy Strait Point - 2 excursions planned - 3 hour bear search and 3 hour whale watching

Wednesday - Juneau - Doing helicopter flight and 1 hour walking around on a glacier

Thursday - Ketchikan - 4 hour salmon fishing excursion

Friday - Day at sea

Saturday - Vancouver

We are supposed to leave that Saturday night to come back home to Florida.  I cannot wait!  My advice is do a lot research as ships offer so many different things!  The boards here on cruise critic are so helpful and knowledgeable when helping with decisions.  Good luck and have fun!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, coastiewifern said:

Thank you!

1. Glacier Bay National Park is a must for a first time cruiser.

2. June is a good month with moderate temps and lots and lots of daylight.

3. Royal Princess RT out of Seattle, Majestic Princess or Sapphire Princess for one-way trips.

4. They are all good.

Picture of the Coral Princess cruising in Glacier Bay National Park.

image.thumb.jpeg.be1184cfd8868942b82052e1b7c72bf0.jpeg

One of my favorite pics from Alaska.

image.thumb.jpeg.ccedc6672a9d441d435cf45f126c5f4c.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We have not taken our Alaskan cruise yet, but as someone who tends to gets seasick as well, wanted to share from my research: the smoother cruises will be the ones that start and stop in Vancouver. The ones from Seattle venture farther out in the Pacific and depending on the season, waves can get somewhat rough. 

1 hour ago, bonvoyagie said:

which cruise line? what is the itineary? you will be flying into Anchorage - take the train to Whittier you will not regret it.

This is the same cruise I am thinking of.  With Holland America.  I am leaning towards a land tour before the cruise.  Which cruise line did you chose and why?