Voyager Review September 18-25, 2022 - NewEngland/Canada

Back on the ship to eat lunch before our afternoon tour.  We met back outside for our 3 hour/45 minute tour to Louisburg Fortress which is about 45 minutes drive south.  It was in a comfortable, full size bus with driver and tour guide.  Gave us interesting area info and some history.  Sadly, he said they would all be off the next day, Friday, to board up and prepare for Hurricane Fiona which was due to hit on Saturday.  I don’t know specifically how much damage they had, but we did hear in the news that the electricity was knocked out.  They definitely were in our thoughts and prayers. 

We did get some breaks in the clouds and saw some blue sky and sun while at Louisburg Fortress.  A tour guide takes you through the first part and then you have some free time on your own.  First we entered a structure and received a tasty cup of authentic hot cocoa while a costumed lady spoke about life in the 1700’s.  We toured the garden outside before heading to a soldier’s demonstration on the lawn in front of the large King’s Bastion, including a military chapel.  There is a lot to see here.   Great views of the water from up where the canons are located.  And another pretty lighthouse.  We enjoyed the song by a traditional fiddle player.  We really lucked out with the weather here!  After, we were free to roam the large property and we came upon a building that sold beer, so we shared a quick flight of 3 beers, and live music which was a plus.  Even though we couldn’t see it all, I still thoroughly enjoyed this tour and was glad we booked it.  On the way out on the bus, they stopped at a beautiful cemetery for a really quick photo. 

Returning, we saw a different part of the city and saw all the improvements being made by the Membertou native community.  We arrived back at just about 4:20pm with all aboard at 4:30pm, but no worries because we were on a RCCL tour and they would wait for us.  Although it was cloudy again, it was a nice sailaway from Sydney.  Another great day.  We would now head south as unfortunately Hurricane Fiona tracked north towards Canada. 

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1664 (3).JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

PXL_20220922_174502227.jpg

IMG_1772 (2).JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1778 (2).JPG

PXL_20220922_210125432.jpg

• Like 1

BAR HARBOR, MAINE  7am-5pm    ***CANCELLED***

On the sea day prior to our expected port day of Bar Harbor, the Captain announced that he had heard from the port authority that conditions would not be safe for tendering, so the port of call was cancelled.  Of course, like everyone, we were disappointed to hear that as it was the port we were most excited to visit and specifically to see Acadia National Park.  But we totally understand that safety is the first priority.  The seas did get rougher on this sea day, with swells to about 9 feet, but it didn’t rock the ship terribly.  I occasionally get motion sick, but didn’t have any issues.  That evening in the Royal Theatre, we did hear several loud metal clanking sounds which the Cruise Director explained was the chain banging in the well that holds the anchor.  Glad he explained that as it was a bit alarming.  Our inside, mid-ship cabin was quiet all night.

We had pre-booked an independent tour with Oli’s Trolley in Bar Harbor to tour Acadia.  They have a policy to automatically refund you if your ship does not arrive.  As I had no internet service, I couldn’t reach them, but saw as soon as we reached Boston an email from them indicating they had refunded me already.  Great customer service.  I was really looking forward to that tour and also exploring Bar Harbor. And I read it might be harder for cruisers to visit Bar Harbor starting in 2023 as they have decided to further limit cruise ships.  Might be time for a road trip to see more of New England and later in the fall as we knew this was too early to see much color change. 

The staff quickly planned added sea day activities and printed new Compasses.  It was an enjoyable day and gave us more time to pack in between activities.  We ended up having a beautiful sunset for the last night at sea.

PXL_20220924_182241773.jpg

PXL_20220924_223034378.jpg

• Like 1

DISEMBARKATION

We had a late flight booked out of Boston, and didn’t really want to tour again, so we just booked the RCCL transfers for the trip back to the airport.  We were given tags for the last anticipated departure time which is 8:45am. We were up early for arrival and I turned on the TV to the forward web cam just as we were approaching the dock where the Queen Mary 2 was already docked.  I would have preferred to see it in person, but it was exciting anyway.  A busy last breakfast in the Windjammer on another beautiful day in Boston.  Due to customs I believe, there was a delay in disembarkation.  When they finally called the walk offs, it seemed that half the ship had chosen that option.  I was glad I wasn’t in that mess.  By the time our group was called about an hour late, it was pretty easy.  Immigration was just a glance at your passport and cruise card.  After finding our luggage we headed out to find the RCCL transfer buses.  There were several lined up, and we were told to get in a long line.  They filled all those buses and off they went.  There was a group of us still left that didn’t fit, so we all had to wait about 45 minutes for a bus to return from the airport for us.  We didn’t care because of our late flight, but I’m sure some people were getting a bit anxious since we were already an hour later off the ship.  There were helpful employees out there to organize all of this.  We knew in advance that once at the airport we were not allowed to check in our luggage until 4 hours prior to the flight, so we found a quiet spot on the lower level next to an electrical outlet to charge my phone and wait.  Once we could check our bags and go through security, we had all the stores to browse and found a spot for a hamburger lunch.  Boston Logan is a pretty nice airport. 

We really enjoyed this cruise.  We were very happy with our return to RCCL on the Voyager.  We like this size ship.  And despite its age, we felt it is in really good shape and well maintained.  The crew was great and as always it’s amazing to meet so many people from around the world.  Thank you to everyone on Cruise Critic who shares their experiences and expertise when I am researching my cruise and ports of call.  Couldn’t have such a good experience without this community. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful review and pics, thanks so much for all the detail.  We leave in about 5 1/2 days, visit Halifax rather than Sydney and couldn't be more excited.  Sorry you couldn't see Bar Harbor but as you indicated, you have an excuse to come back.  Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Broons77 said:

Friendly Bostonians?  If not for the pictures, I'd suggest you actually were somewhere else. 😄

I'm happy to read such a nice review, this is certainly the best time of year to visit.  September and October in New England is our reward for suffering through February and March.  Can't wait to hear about your time on board, we leave in 6 days on her!!!

😂 We really did have a good experience with everyone we encountered.

Our day in Boston had fantastic weather, but it was mostly cloudy, cool and periods of rain through the week.  But, you just have to be prepared with the right clothes and attitude to enjoy it. 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trish Traveler said:

As lunchtime approached we found ourselves at historic Faneuil Hall (we viewed the historic Great Hall on the second floor) and Quincy Market.  Lots of tourists on this beautiful early fall day!  We had the obligatory lobstah roll and clam chowdah and sat outside to eat enjoying a busker show of a bagpipe-playing, unicycle-riding performer! Also in this vicinity is the Sam Adams Taproom.  A little further along is Union Street with many cute old pubs and restaurants with many alfresco diners.  We stopped to rest and hydrate at Hennessey’s Irish Bar that had live music to enjoy.  Further along is the Boston Public Market and outside was a colorful, bustling farmer’s market.

IMG_1157 (2).JPG

IMG_1158 (2).JPG

IMG_1162 (2).JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

1 hour ago, Trish Traveler said:

CRUISE DAY – EMBARKATION

Enjoyed another good breakfast and had the hotel order a cab for us for a specified time this morning.  We were concerned about possible delays to the cruiseport due to one of the tunnels being closed on weekends for construction.  So we left about 10:45am for our 12 check in time.  It was a quick ride with no delays and we dropped our luggage and got quickly checked in and seated in the waiting area for a while to be called right about 12 for our group to board.  Very excited to step aboard the Voyager and explore.  First impressions were great!  I love the new system for safety briefing (muster drill) whereby you watch the video on your phone and then go check in at your muster station for a quick life jacket review.  Easy Peasy.  Please people do this in a timely manner after boarding as the reminder announcements get really annoying as the afternoon goes on prior to sailaway.

Headed up to the Windjammer which was still not too crowded to enjoy some lunch.   I love the sinks for handwashing at the entrance with a friendly reminder from a crew member to wash your hands.   Most people seemed to follow the rule.  The Windjammer buffet is U-shaped with tables surrounding.  As you enter you find the bar if needed, and then can usually go left or right (the carved meat of the day was usually on the right) with a straight cafeteria style line.  If you go all the way to the back, many items are repeated, with the addition of several islands which are easier to maneuver.   In the back you find the grilled items such as hamburgers, hot dogs, with lots of toppings (later in the week, I made a sauerkraut dog which fit the Oktoberfest time of year and weather!); and options like grilled minute steaks and chicken; and mac & cheese.  There is usually an international section which quite often had Tex-Mex food.  In the back are also the vegetarian and delicious Indian options.  The salad and fruit bars are larger back here.  Last but not least is the dessert island (which actually had some quality tasty items like cakes, mousses, pies, flan, crumbles, jello and cookies etc.).  Lots of delicious fresh bread types and lunchmeat/cheese choices.   Many American choices like stews, pasta, soups etc.  DH really enjoyed the Roasted Turkey and Roasted Chickens offered at the carving station one time during the week.  There’s plenty more that I didn’t mention and we found many delicious choices all week. A few items weren’t to our liking, but that’s normal for everyone.  In the evening, they also add a daily theme like American, Chinese, Tex-Mex (tasty Guac & chips), Italian, Indian (delicious Butter Chicken & various Curries), and Caribbean (loved the jerk chicken, rice and plantains).  Even though we ate in the MDR every night, we often stopped in the Windjammer earlier to have an “appetizer” of the specials of the night.  I wish they would have the theme specials for lunch also.

PXL_20220924_155220045.jpg

PXL_20220924_153711322.jpg

PXL_20220918_214910443.jpg

PXL_20220924_222811406.jpg

PXL_20220924_155108282.jpg

PXL_20220923_220632161.jpg

Great detailed review. Beautiful Pictures, Thanks for letting us enjoy...........The food pictures are making me VERY hungry !

Great review and pics!  We were on Voyager last week for pretty much the same itinerary (ports in a different order) and it was fantastic.  The crew was amazing.  I'm sorry you had to miss Bar Harbor - that was our favorite port.  And it sounds like it won't be on many future cruise itineraries as the city has placed some pretty low limits on number of allowed passengers per day.  

36 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Great review and pics!  We were on Voyager last week for pretty much the same itinerary (ports in a different order) and it was fantastic.  The crew was amazing.  I'm sorry you had to miss Bar Harbor - that was our favorite port.  And it sounds like it won't be on many future cruise itineraries as the city has placed some pretty low limits on number of allowed passengers per day.  

Thank you.  Glad you also had a great time!  And that you got to Bar Harbor.  Maybe someday a roadtrip to Bar Harbor/Acadia for us. 

3 hours ago, Trish Traveler said:

Thank you.  Glad you also had a great time!  And that you got to Bar Harbor.  Maybe someday a roadtrip to Bar Harbor/Acadia for us. 

I am definitely thinking we may want to take a road trip to Bar Harbor and Portland.  The cruise just whet our appetites!