NCL Balcony vs Suite and Amex Platinum

cusematt4

Hi all,

I am debating a cruise with NCL which is much more than expected.  I am looking for balconies - the cheapest guaranty without free at sea and the cheapest assigned balcony with free at sea.

It seems like the club balcony guaranty is $50 more pp than then regular balcony guaranty and the cheapest free at sea club balcony is $40 more per person than the cheapest regular free at sea balcony.

-If we book with Amex platinum, would the club balcony suite guaranty + assigned club balcony suite rooms result in a $300 OBC each instead of a $200 OBC each?  If so, it seems like it would make sense just for that to go with the club balcony suite guaranty and club balcony suite assigned rooms.

-If a travel agent is offering OBC, is it likely we'd get a higher OBC with the two club balcony suite rooms (for each the guaranty and assigned room)?

-Are the free at sea perks the same as with assigned balcony vs assigned club balcony suite?  Any additional free at sea perks with the club balcony suite assigned room?

-Is it at all realisitic that the club balcony guaranty would get us an actual suite instead of just the insignifant comfort perks with the club balcony?  Are there any other perks that come with the club balcony rooms that are worth it?

Thank you very much.

I use AMEX Plat benefits all the time.

The only time I’ve received the $300 OBC is by booking the Haven.  However, I have a Club Balcony booked for later this month and I got $200 OBC + dinner at LeBistro with a bottle of wine.

The difference between a Balcony vs a Club Balcony is a bigger bathroom, as best as I’ve experienced.  As far as perks go, the Club Balcony also nets you a free (small) bag of laundry.

Not sure about the rest.  I would check with your TA to see what they may offer as perks. 

• Like 1

Our experience with the Platinum Amex and Club Balcony has been exactly the same as Graphicguy’s. BTW the large bathroom with the wall jet shower makes the upgrade worth every penny compared the standard balcony.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Amex Platinum travel bookings definitely get $200 for balcony and above rooms except for Haven being $300?

Does anyone have experience if travel agents give more for a club balcony suite room than a regular balcony in OBC?

OP...in all frankness, there are a lot of variables that would enter to answer your questions.  Your best bet is to contact your TA.  Some TAs have a relationship with AMEX, some don't.  AS an example, NCL direct PCCs do not recognize AMEX platinum perks.

Your best bet is to talk to your TA and find out what they will or won't offer you.

As far as upgrading from a Club Balcony to a Suite, again your TA would have the answers... If you're sailing 90-120 days from now, you can probably pay to upgrade your Club Balcony to a higher category, if it's available.  But, as you get closer in to your embarkation date, the number of available cabins begin to shrink.

People in here are generally helpful.  But, your questions can't necessarily be answered here.  The TA is who would have your answers.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

As far as upgrading from a Club Balcony to a Suite, again your TA would have the answers... If you're sailing 90-120 days from now, you can probably pay to upgrade your Club Balcony to a higher category, if it's available.  But, as you get closer in to your embarkation date, the number of available cabins begin to shrink.....

I think @cusematt4is asking if by selecting "guarantee" club suite what is the likelihood of NCL assigning them a full suite as their room, not them upgrading to it on their own. I think your chances of that are none, to be honest. NCL is taking bids (even the lowest one) on those before they'd assign someone with a guarantee.

I agree with @graphicguythat you need to contact a TA directly about a TA giving more for a club balcony. But, again, I think you are going to be disappointed. My experience is that TA gives based on your fare, not the category. The very minimal difference in the fares you quoted don't seem to fit the bill for that.

I also use the Amex Platinum benefit and only in "S" suite or "H" suite category would you get the $300. You would get $200 and LeBistro for either of the options you noted.

I understand wanting to get the best value from the booking, but your variables aren't really going to yield you much - a $50 or $40 difference? Not worth all this effort. Just go with the better cabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

I think @cusematt4is asking if by selecting "guarantee" club suite what is the likelihood of NCL assigning them a full suite as their room, not them upgrading to it on their own. I think your chances of that are none, to be honest. NCL is taking bids (even the lowest one) on those before they'd assign someone with a guarantee.

I agree with @graphicguythat you need to contact a TA directly about a TA giving more for a club balcony. But, again, I think you are going to be disappointed. My experience is that TA gives based on your fare, not the category. The very minimal difference in the fares you quoted don't seem to fit the bill for that.

I also use the Amex Platinum benefit and only in "S" suite or "H" suite category would you get the $300. You would get $200 and LeBistro for either of the options you noted.

I understand wanting to get the best value from the booking, but your variables aren't really going to yield you much - a $50 or $40 difference? Not worth all this effort. Just go with the better cabin.

Agree.  

If the OP is looking for NCL to “upgrade” them from a GTY Club Balcony to a regular suite or the Haven, that won’t happen.

OP, If a Suite and/or Haven cabin is available, you can either call your TA and have them price out what the upgrade to a Suite and/or a Haven cabin would cost, or you can go t o your reservation and look at your “Let‘S get you upgraded” section to bid on an upgrade to what’s available and what cabin you want.