Firestick/ other streaming devices on NCL TV

divincenzo

Nope, similar to hospitality TV commonly used in hotels & resorts, and, I've used Google Chromecast as well as Roku to connect to onboard WiFi, and just not possible nor practical (ultra high latency & very low speed) to attempt to cast or stream anything at all, not even from stored contents on a tablet.  

Older mega ships used HDMI as the input sources and newer ships like the Joy uses a locking RJ-59 (ethernet/coaxial) style input for interactive signal, and they just cannot be bypassed or overridden. If you can disconnect & use your own HDMI connection, you can directly "play" whatever on the HDTV in the stateroom, i.e. Breakaway, Getaway & Escape, these 3 ships ... I can confirm, is possible. 

Always have a Plan B and Option C while traveling is my motto.  

• Like 1

In theory the answer is YES. You can plug in a Roku, Firestick, personal device in to the TV's HDMI port and watch content. Not sure how well streaming content over the ship's internet works as i have not tried that. We haven't cruised since 2019, but have been on NCL, Carnival and RC. We have always brought an iPhone lighting port to HDMI converter and HDMI cord with us to play downloaded TV shows/movies on the TV in our room from a phone/device. Plugged straight in to the HDMI port just as you would a Roku or Firestick. You must purchase a cheap universal programmable TV remote to use for the TV to change inputs. The TV remote provided by the cruise line will not allow you to change the inputs on the TV. We have done this the last handful of times we cruised before COVID. Booked for 2023 and will be bringing our setup again. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 5:58 AM, KSSS2013 said:

The HDMI ports on the TV's are locked out. I'm not aware of any way to break their programming.

On Spirit right now.

Jacked into HDMI port with my DVD player.

Had to use a special jack out of DVD then male to male rca Jack's into an HDMI converter then HDMI into TV.

One hooked up, HDMI became active on TV and it worked.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

On Spirit right now.

Had to use a special jack out of DVD then male to male rca Jack's into an HDMI converter then HDMI into TV.

I am on the Spirit in a couple weeks. To confirm. RCA to HDMI converter worked on this ship?

15 minutes ago, divincenzo said:

I am on the Spirit in a couple weeks. To confirm. RCA to HDMI converter worked on this ship?

Yes perfectly. Power it up before plugging it in. Being an extension cord .

Then choose source on remote.

I bought the converter on Amazon..  I am using a small portable DVD player with its own screen in case it didn't work.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

... Power it up before plugging it in. Being an extension cord . Then choose source on remote ... using a small portable DVD player with its own screen in case it didn't work.

Nice ... can you report on the TV brand in use onboard the Spirit ... "Sole" or "LG" - these are the 2 HDTV brand that I've come across.  Sole specializes in hospitality TV ... and theirs use HDMI as default input whereas LG default to coaxial/ethernet signals (and, firmware locked on the remote in the stateroom TV, "source" not selectable, AFAIK)   That is, however, a direct/simple "casting" of the DVD player's signal output to a monitor, not the same as streaming over WiFi, which is a bit more complicated ... 

PXL_20220513_204017.jpg

This is the LG TV in our Joy's 2 BR Family Inside Suite, input signal is ethernet/Cat 5+ signal.  

Whereas, if the stateroom TV is "Sole" - HDMI input is easy & simple, as long as you can easily reach it & switch it out, simple "unplug and replace" & just remember to reconnect.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Nice ... can you report on the TV brand in use onboard the Spirit ... "Sole" or "LG" - these are the 2 HDTV brand that I've come across.  Sole specializes in hospitality TV ... and theirs use HDMI as default input whereas LG default to coaxial/ethernet signals (and, firmware locked on the remote in the stateroom TV, "source" not selectable, AFAIK)   That is, however, a direct/simple "casting" of the DVD player's signal output to a monitor, not the same as streaming over WiFi, which is a bit more complicated ... 

PXL_20220513_204017.jpg

This is the LG TV in our Joy's 2 BR Family Inside Suite, input signal is ethernet/Cat 5+ signal.  

Whereas, if the stateroom TV is "Sole" - HDMI input is easy & simple, as long as you can easily reach it & switch it out, simple "unplug and replace" & just remember to reconnect.  

I am on a full day tour right now but will later. We are in Hawaii so it's almost 11am here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mking8288 said:

PXL_20220513_204017.jpg

It's a Samsung TV.

Here's a port picture 

PXL_20221017_015648881.jpg

• Like 1

Just came back on the Oct 10 Prima cruising, and had no issue plugging my firestick into the HDMI port and changing the source. I had loaded TV shows and movies on USB and used the firestick to watch it.

Prima uses Samsung for their TV, and there is power button at bottom of the TV that you can click on and it allow you to go through the Menu to change the source input to HDMI.

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 8:27 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

On Spirit right now.

Nice, good to know! I assumed NCL was consistent with their TV's...apparently there's some variances in the fleet.