Norwegian to Alaska?

Sigyn

2 hours ago, pickle11 said:

Why are Princess and HAL the "experts" in Alaska?  Do they go to different ports?    Do they take different routes?  Carnival, RCL, NCL, Celebrity and Disney do Alaska too.  I have cruised Alaska on all of these cruise lines.  Cruised Alaska many many times.  The cruises that stand out are the ones that visit Glacier Bay and Hoonah (Icy Strait).  

Oh Yeah.  I was on the Iceberg cruise on the Sun in June.  And that was a fun cruise too.

I read that they get priority in parking at the ports and they get priority to visit Glacier Bay since only two ships a day are allowed into Glacier Bay and they were the first cruise lines to go to Alaska, or something like that. 

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Is there a specific reason why you only chose NCL ships for Alaska when you have never sailed them but do have a Prima sailing booked?

Princess and Holland America are the experts for Alaska and your friend did have a good time on the Diamond Princess.  We have a 14 day sailing on the Majestic Princess next year out of Vancouver which has a similar observation lounge in the front of the ship like the Bliss and Encore.  It sails out of Vancouver and could be done as a seven day either north or south bound if 14 days is too long.  Another option is to choose a 7 day sailing combined with a land package.  Both Princess and Holland offer this option, unlike their competition.  Food for thought.

I'm considering NCL, Princess and Celebrity. I looked at HAL, but I am not finding HAL particularly appealing. One reason is because a dear friend who worked for the cruise industry for 25 years and who has very similar tastes to me said that she does not like HAL at all, and thinks I will not like it either. She finds it staid and boring and does not like the food quality. She highly recommends NCL and Celebrity. And my other friend really likes Princess, as you noted. 

This post is just about NCL. I have another out there about Princess, and one about Celebrity. I am trying to break down specific questions I have about each cruise line and what I want to know about them and their Alaskan itineraries. I rushed into picking a holiday cruise this year, and changed my mind two weeks later and lost a $750 deposit since it was already less than 90 days to sailing. So I'm trying to be much more mindful in choosing a summer Alaskan cruise. 

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I'm considering NCL, Princess and Celebrity. I looked at HAL, but I am not finding HAL particularly appealing. One reason is because a dear friend who worked for the cruise industry for 25 years and who has very similar tastes to me said that she does not like HAL at all, and thinks I will not like it either. She finds it staid and boring and does not like the food quality. She highly recommends NCL and Celebrity. And my other friend really likes Princess, as you noted. 

This post is just about NCL. I have another out there about Princess, and one about Celebrity. I am trying to break down specific questions I have about each cruise line and what I want to know about them and their Alaskan itineraries. I rushed into picking a holiday cruise this year, and changed my mind two weeks later and lost a $750 deposit since it was already less than 90 days to sailing. So I'm trying to be much more mindful in choosing a summer Alaskan cruise. 

2nd the vote for NCL or Celebrity.  They happen to be my 2 favorite cruise lines.  I do have some issues with how NCL handled the COVID refunds, but overall, like the ships and cruises they offer.  Celebrity, is more adult focused.  No rock walls or slides, for example.  But, generally they have beautiful ships.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

2nd the vote for NCL or Celebrity.  They happen to be my 2 favorite cruise lines.  I do have some issues with how NCL handled the COVID refunds, but overall, like the ships and cruises they offer.  Celebrity, is more adult focused.  No rock walls or slides, for example.  But, generally they have beautiful ships.

This is our opportunity to be more adult focused since our teenager will be at summer camp. It's why we're quite limited in our available dates - we will do our cruise while he's away for three weeks - but it also means we can indulge ourselves in a fancier cabin and a more serene cruise and not worry about a bored 15-year-old. 

14 minutes ago, njsmom said:

This is our opportunity to be more adult focused since our teenager will be at summer camp. It's why we're quite limited in our available dates - we will do our cruise while he's away for three weeks - but it also means we can indulge ourselves in a fancier cabin and a more serene cruise and not worry about a bored 15-year-old. 

I get that.  My kids are grown.  But, remember all too well doing vacations when they were the primary focus.  Either is a good choice.  Celebrity cruises tends to shut down around 10: p.m.  I recall being on the Edge and having drinks with 5 or so friends in the "magic carpet".  Like clockwork, 10:00 p.m. and they were cleaning.  They said they'd stay as long as we wanted them to.  I felt like that was putting them out, and we left.  We did keep going at the Martini Bar, but that was the only place open after 10.

NCL you'll find a party somewhere going on in the week hours.  And, my nightcap standby was outside Syd Norman's/Cavern Club along the Waterfront (which I loved). In addition, some of the performers from the main shows would show up to perform late nites there, too.

Loved both cruise lines, though.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

My priority would first be if the cruise is a one-way so I could go to Denali and other places before or after the cruise. Next would be the ships that go to Glacier Bay.  Then I would look at the ship and times in port. I've been twice - once on a cruise and last summer land only. Don't miss the land portion if you can.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 10:52 AM, njsmom said:

My friend did the Bliss to Alaska three years ago and said it was the worst cruise she'd ever been on. Too many people, terrible food and it was just miserable. She cruises quite a bit and loved doing the Grand Princess to Hawaii, Cunard Queen Elizabeth transatlantic,  

I'd be cautious about that friend's opinion if they are comparing to the Queen Elizabeth.  That definitely an apples to oranges comparison.  

We did the Bliss in 2018, exact same one @BirdTravels gave you a pointer to up thread a bit.  In Bird's post check out post 243 (or thereabouts) for Bird's pictures from the small boat excursion up Tracy Arm.  I was on that excursion as well and with out question that was the best excursion I've ever been on.  As Bird said, we got miles closer to the glacier than the Bliss did, we stopped to photo the bears, stopped for selfies with ice bergs etc.  If you are concerned about "up and close" be sure to book an itinerary that offers an excursion like that one whatever ship you may be on.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mscloyd said:

My priority would first be if the cruise is a one-way so I could go to Denali and other places before or after the cruise. Next would be the ships that go to Glacier Bay.  Then I would look at the ship and times in port. I've been twice - once on a cruise and last summer land only. Don't miss the land portion if you can.

I'm thinking I'll possibly wait on Denali until the road is open past mile 43, in 2024. There's so much more to see past that point. I do remember that from my trip in 1999. 

NJsmom, that is so true.  We actually went to Eielson about 2 weeks before it was closed in 2021 so we were so lucky! That trip we also had a day that we drove into the park ourselves, too.  I don't know if we just got lucky or what but we saw so much wildlife in that first few miles!  Tons of moose and caibou!  It was so exciting to stop the car and get out and watch (from a safe distance).

• Like 1

We did the Jewel to Alaska last July, it was my first cruise experience and overall I really enjoyed it. It was just my husband and myself (no kids! They were at camps) and we loved that the ship was smaller and very few kids running around. We had a balcony and wow, sitting drinking hot chai and watching the glaciers was a true highlight! I also saw orcas when I was in the women’s spa of all places, they had beautiful windows.

Favorite port was Ketchikan- we did the off-road trail via Jeep through the Tongass forest and then canoeing across a lake- was spectacular. Afterwards we went into town and got all the crab legs and crab fries- hands down, best crab I’ve ever tried. 

On 10/17/2022 at 5:50 PM, PATRLR said:

I'd be cautious about that friend's opinion if they are comparing to the Queen Elizabeth.  That definitely an apples to oranges comparison.  

We did the Bliss in 2018, exact same one @BirdTravels gave you a pointer to up thread a bit.  In Bird's post check out post 243 (or thereabouts) for Bird's pictures from the small boat excursion up Tracy Arm.  I was on that excursion as well and with out question that was the best excursion I've ever been on.  As Bird said, we got miles closer to the glacier than the Bliss did, we stopped to photo the bears, stopped for selfies with ice bergs etc.  If you are concerned about "up and close" be sure to book an itinerary that offers an excursion like that one whatever ship you may be on.

Yes, my Cunard and Princess-loving friend's tastes aren't exactly like mine, unlike another friend who recommends both NCL and Celebrity. I respect my QE2 friend's preferences, but she likes afternoon tea, napping, and staying on board rather than doing excursions. She's also not a foodie like me, but she does know good food when it's in front of her. 

On 10/17/2022 at 8:22 PM, mscloyd said:

NJsmom, that is so true.  We actually went to Eielson about 2 weeks before it was closed in 2021 so we were so lucky! That trip we also had a day that we drove into the park ourselves, too.  I don't know if we just got lucky or what but we saw so much wildlife in that first few miles!  Tons of moose and caibou!  It was so exciting to stop the car and get out and watch (from a safe distance).

I saw tons of wildlife in the beginning, and throughout all 86 miles or so to Wonder Lake back in 1999. I even saw a gray wolf at the end of the day, as dusk was falling. There were two fresh moose or elk, I forget which, that had locked horns and died, and the wolves were feeding. I will never forget seeing the female wolf standing on the side of the road, watching the bus as we drove past. But as for wildlife, we saw 17 grizzlies that day, several moose, bald eagles, etc. It was amazing. So, even if there's not a great view of Denali, there's still the wildlife. But I would rather wait a year and go when I could get farther into the park again. 

6 hours ago, CCruiser08 said:

We did the Jewel to Alaska last July, it was my first cruise experience and overall I really enjoyed it. It was just my husband and myself (no kids! They were at camps) and we loved that the ship was smaller and very few kids running around. We had a balcony and wow, sitting drinking hot chai and watching the glaciers was a true highlight! I also saw orcas when I was in the women’s spa of all places, they had beautiful windows.

Favorite port was Ketchikan- we did the off-road trail via Jeep through the Tongass forest and then canoeing across a lake- was spectacular. Afterwards we went into town and got all the crab legs and crab fries- hands down, best crab I’ve ever tried. 

That's good to know about the Jewel. And amazing that you saw the Orcas at that point. How fortunate!  I would love to have fresh crab in Alaska. 

5 hours ago, vidsmart said:

Just booked Hawaii to Alaska Apr/May ‘23 on NCL Spirit. I think you mentioned adult-oriented in the thread—Spirit underwent a huge refurbishment in ‘20 to create specifically adult focused ship

I'll check out the Spirit. That's useful info. Thank you!

8 hours ago, vidsmart said:

Just booked Hawaii to Alaska Apr/May ‘23 on NCL Spirit. I think you mentioned adult-oriented in the thread—Spirit underwent a huge refurbishment in ‘20 to create specifically adult focused ship

Refurbished ships are nice, but it's still a 23 year old ship.  Certain public areas get redone, but cabins and the general feel is still a 23 year old ship, albeit with some new areas.

On 10/14/2022 at 4:41 AM, njsmom said:

Has anyone sailed on an NCL ship to Alaska and, if so, how was your experience? I worry that the ships are too large to really get close to the glaciers. I did a one-day glacier cruise many years ago on a small boat and we were so close and it was so beautiful. I think it was even offered as an excursion to Princess passengers at the time (I was on a land vacation.) 

What is it like to cruise on NCL to Alaska and which port is best?

Currently on the Bliss to Alaska - the last sailing to Alaska of the season. 

We saw orcas the afternoon that we left Seattle, we saw a bunch of humpback whales today sailing to Victoria, and a bunch of bald eagles in Alaska. 

Below are some of the photos we took at Glacier Bay.  The ship was not too big, and we were sailing around for four hours.
The only issue really was the weather, it was overcast and a little foggy so it wasn’t prime viewing; but like I said - we were the last sailing of the season. 

97E50792-EB3E-4EBE-BBAF-A63229EBF52C.thumb.jpeg.ba896ff7ac9bc2eec89873375a502d11.jpeg

3E10D199-62CE-426E-B492-62D14B5971DF.thumb.jpeg.c88ebff29372dd6fe724ba6c93525773.jpeg

431DA9AC-F1F9-48E3-8FBE-26205D83483A.thumb.jpeg.8fb0ab544f3bed2b9081728ef548ad6f.jpeg

• Like 1