"traditional" Italian honeymoon VS. Cruise? Help?

amandaaa04

Hi everyone,

I've been on exactly one cruise back in 2016 (Carnival) and wasn't a huge fan but my fiancé has taken regular cruises throughout his life. He likes the idea of not having to check in/out, make trains/transportation, etc. I like the idea that we'd be able to relax a bit more and it might be less stressful in the end - and a honeymoon should be just that, right? Europe is our preferred honeymoon destination. We also need to go end of June or beginning of July 2024 because I'm a teacher.

Right now, we're looking at starting in Rome, going to Naples/Positano, then Florence/Tuscany, before flying out of Venice.

If we cruise, I'm looking at itineraries that start in Rome/Venice and stop places in Italy before going to Greece. 

My questions to experienced travelers are:

1) What are the best lines/itineraries for Italy/Greece? An overnight at a Greek Island would be ideal. 

2) Do you feel that you lose time/getting an authentic experience by cruising vs. eating all meals at local restaurants? (food is really big for me and the idea of not being able to eat fresh, local, authentic food because I need to be back on the boat by dinner doesn't really appeal to me). 

3) How easy/hard is it to tack on extra days at the beginning or end of the trip?

4) Pros/cons if you've done something similar to either of our options. 

Thanks in advanced! 🙂

• 6 months later...

Hey there!

Congratulations on your upcoming honeymoon! It sounds like you and your fiancé have different travel preferences, but a cruise might be a good compromise for a stress-free and relaxing honeymoon. Europe is an amazing destination, and I think starting in Rome and ending in Venice is a great itinerary.

As for your questions:

1. For Italy and Greece, I would recommend checking out cruise lines like Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Celebrity. They all have itineraries that stop in Italy and Greece, and some even offer overnights in Greek Islands like Santorini or Mykonos.
  2. While it's true that you might miss out on some local dining experiences on a cruise, most ships have plenty of dining options that offer fresh and authentic cuisine. Plus, you can always explore local restaurants during your port stops.
  3. Adding extra days to your trip should be fairly easy, especially if you're starting and ending in major cities like Rome and Venice. Just make sure to check with your cruise line and hotel to ensure availability.
  4. I haven't done a similar trip myself, but some pros of cruising include convenience, all-inclusive pricing, and the opportunity to visit multiple destinations without having to pack and unpack. Cons might include a lack of time in each port and potential crowds at popular tourist spots.

As for a personalized honeymoon gift, have you considered a custom photo album or a personalized travel map to document your trip and memories? Just an idea!

Hope this helps and happy planning!

Edited by niksgt

• 2 months later...

I also think a cruise honeymoon is a great way to travel because once you board the ship you're on vacation and you don't need to pack/unpack numerous times the destinations just materialize every day. 

You can certainly enjoy authentic meals ashore for lunch and perhaps a dinner or two as ships stay quite late at Santorini. 

I found two potential Greek Isles cruises that might work for you. 

Celebrity Cruise Line - upscale line, top-notch service, delicious food, elegant on lounges and public spaces.  June 29, 2024 Saturday to Saturday Greek Isles Here is the itinerary:

June 29 - Piraeus, Athens - 5 pm departure

June 30 - Santorini, Greece - 8 am to 10: pm

July 1 - Sea Day

July 2 - Ephesus, Turkey - 8 am to 8 pm

July 3 - Rhodes, Greece - 8 am to 6 pm

July 4 - Mykonos - 8 am to 7 pm

July 5 - Hydra, Greece - 8 am to 6 pm

July 6 - Piraeus, Athens - 5 am

Celebrity Edge - fabulous, modern much newer ship with many terrific specialty restaurants on board. July 13, 2023Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy | Naples, Italy | Mykonos, Greece | Ephesus, Turkey | Santorini (Thira), Greece | Piraeus (Athens), Greece

Princess Cruise Lines - Terrific line, traditional, beautiful ships, excellent service, lovely public spaces and cabins. The brand new Sun Princess has a great itinerary that meets your wishes. We are booked on this route next year too. July 6, 2024 Piraeus (Athens), Greece | Kotor, Montenegro | Corfu, Greece | Messina, Sicily, Italy | Naples, Italy | Barcelona, Spain

Happy planning. Cruising is a wonderful way to honeymoon. My wife honeymooned aboard a 17-day Transatlantic NY to Rome and were married aboard the ship before we left New York. You will meet some many great people and have terrific adventures all the while traveling in a luxurious style. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking