Tracy Arm - can we get off?

vega

Hi there, we will be sailing aboard the Brilliance of the Seas and will be sailing through Tracy Arm. Do you know if we can do a tour from the boat and if so, how do we arrange that? Thank you! 

1 hour ago, vega said:

Hi there, we will be sailing aboard the Brilliance of the Seas and will be sailing through Tracy Arm. Do you know if we can do a tour from the boat and if so, how do we arrange that? Thank you! 

We just sailed on Serenade in September and Tracy Arm was on our itinerary...no...there was no getting off the ship or excursions offered. Our sailing times were 5:00am-9:00am and we were very underwhelmed with this glacier. However Hubbard was amazing.

My sister said everyone was so focused on the glacier they missed out on the beautiful scenery when the ship left the glacier. She said most people just went for breakfast and so missed the beautiful scenery.

Edited by latebuyer
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 9:28 PM, latebuyer said:

I’m disappointed you can’t get off though. FYI Hubbard has an excursion with RCI.

Hmmm. I've sailed the Alaska itinerary 5 times with RCI which included Hubbard and have never seen an excursion...so info please?

And ... no...not everyone missed the beautiful scenery during sail in/out...our extended family group certainly didn't....and neither did the crowds out on the helipad and the upper decks.

Glad you saw the scenery. My comment was to the poster who complained about the glacier who didn’t seem to have seen the scenery, as if the glacier was only thing worth seeing. Hubbard glacier is on my cruise planner for june cruise. Its 400cdn. It just goes in a smaller boat closer to glacier.

Some cruise lines offer tours from the ship.  A catamaran pulls up to the side of the ship at the entrance of Tracy Arm.  People get on.  The tour goes ahead of the ship hitting highlights and looking for wildlife.  Reaches the glacier before the ship and able to close to the glacier.  

But not all cruise ships or itineraries to Tracy/Endicott Arms.  

Now if your cruise ship docks before 7am and leaves after 7pm there is a good chance to book a tour to Tracy Arm in Juneau.  Tour can be between 8 to 10 hours.  I would use this method because the ship actually getting close to viewing and hearing a calving are less than 50%.

As for Hubbard Glacier I have never seen a tour to the glacier from the cruise ship.  No need to.  Ships on average days can get very close.  And I bad days the ship could hit an iceberg.  I was on the NCL Sun last June.

1 hour ago, pickle11 said:

Some cruise lines offer tours from the ship.  A catamaran pulls up to the side of the ship at the entrance of Tracy Arm.  People get on.  The tour goes ahead of the ship hitting highlights and looking for wildlife.  Reaches the glacier before the ship and able to close to the glacier.  

But not all cruise ships or itineraries to Tracy/Endicott Arms.  

Now if your cruise ship docks before 7am and leaves after 7pm there is a good chance to book a tour to Tracy Arm in Juneau.  Tour can be between 8 to 10 hours.  I would use this method because the ship actually getting close to viewing and hearing a calving are less than 50%.

As for Hubbard Glacier I have never seen a tour to the glacier from the cruise ship.  No need to.  Ships on average days can get very close.  And I bad days the ship could hit an iceberg.  I was on the NCL Sun last June.

There is a small boat tour, Glacier Explorer via Celebrity. (Rave Reviews)  It operates the same as you described for Tracy Arm. 

11 hours ago, Ashland said:

Hmmm. I've sailed the Alaska itinerary 5 times with RCI which included Hubbard and have never seen an excursion...so info please?

And ... no...not everyone missed the beautiful scenery during sail in/out...our extended family group certainly didn't....and neither did the crowds out on the helipad and the upper decks.

Celebrity does offer a small boat excursion so RCCL may as well. It will be in your cruise planner since this is only operated through the cruise lines. 

Patty 

51 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Celebrity does offer a small boat excursion so RCCL may as well. It will be in your cruise planner since this is only operated through the cruise lines. 

Patty 

Which ships?  I'm interested.  What additional highlights are there other than the glacier.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cw2go said:

Patty 

Thanks Patty...but RCI does not offer this for Hubbard Glacier and never has on any of the itineraries we've done with them to Alaska. Even though Royal Caribbean Cruise Group owns X there are many differences.

7 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

That's not true. I'm booked on royal caribbean in june and hubbard glacier excursion is offered.

Would love to see the link for this itinerary...and details of the excursion and how it's done...thanks

Could this excursion actually be offered at the port in Juneau rather than off the ship directly ??? That could be the confusion.

Edited by Ashland

12 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Thanks Patty...but RCI does not offer this for Hubbard Glacier and never has on any of the itineraries we've done with them to Alaska. Even though Royal Caribbean Cruise Group owns X there are many differences.

Well...maybe you weren't able or aware but it has been offered. Search here on CC for reviews, run by Allen Marine (not positive) through the cruise line. It has to be coordinated. I have also sailed multiple times  in Alaska and have seen this multiple times. 

18 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Would love to see the link for this itinerary...and details of the excursion and how it's done...thanks

Could this excursion actually be offered at the port in Juneau rather than off the ship directly ??? That could be the confusion.

No it is off the ship while going into the bay of Hubbard Glacier. Nothing to do with Tracy Arm, I've sailed in that fjord too. 

Edited by cw2go

29 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

Which ships?  I'm interested.  What additional highlights are there other than the glacier.  

I am booked for the tour, July 15th @ 2pm on Cel Millennium

Copied... 

Overview

Your journey into wild Alaska begins the moment you board the tour vessel. Relax in the warm, comfortable cabin, surrounded by large windows, as an onboard naturalist provides compelling narration about the wildlife, geography and glaciers of the area. The waters and wilderness of this region are home to an abundance of wildlife and feature breathtaking scenery. The maneuverable, shallow-draft tour vessel provides a chance for up-close encounters and best photo opportunities of the area's animal species, in addition to exploration of the shoreline and islands. Throughout your tour, enjoy the dramatic vistas of rocky coastlines shaped by the mighty Pacific Ocean, and endless expanses of rainforest and snow-capped mountains. As you approach Hubbard Glacier, the experience captain will weave your tour vessel through a maze of icebergs, some multiple stories tall, making for amazing photos. The Hubbard Glacier is often very active, and dramatic displays of calving - one of Mother Nature's most impressive shows - can occur at any time. All in all, this tour makes for an unforgettable experience, and quite possibly, the wildlife encounter of a lifetime.

Highlights

• Marvel at jaw-dropping panoramas of temperate rainforest, snowcapped mountains, abundant icebergs and dramatic coastline.
  • The maneuverability and draft of this Alaskan-built vessel allows for exploration of areas not accessible by larger ships, including close-ups of icebergs and shallow coastlines.
  • An onboard naturalist will talk about the local wildlife and geographic features of the area, complementing the visual experience of the tour.
  • Enjoy the detours and stops along the way to take amazing photographs and soak in scenery impossible to view from a cruise ship.

Important details and advisements

• Complimentary beverages included onboard the tour vessel: hot chocolate, coffee, tea, and water.
  • Guests with limited mobility and wheelchair-dependent guests should not select this tour, as they must navigate a number of stairs, moving platforms and a narrow door threshold with little to no assistance.
  • This tour operates in all weather conditions.
  • Additional beverages are available for purchase.
  • Wildlife sightings are frequent, but not guaranteed.
  • Tours, tour dates, and times are subject to change and availability.
  • Please be advised that this tour is likely to sell out. We recommend you book early so you don’t miss out.
  • Guests must be of legal age to drink alcohol.
  • Alcohol may be available, please drink responsibly.

Departs at

Day 2
2:00 pm

Duration
2hr 30 min

Activity Level
Mild
Full participation may require leisurely walking over primarily even surfaces... 

This is in my cruise planner. 

1 minute ago, cw2go said:

No it is off the ship while going into the bay of Hubbard Glacier.nothing to do with Tracy Arm. 

Very interesting...thanks...good to know... Certainly never saw a small boat doing this off our ship while we were at the Hubbard Glacier on the 5 of our visits there.

6 minutes ago, cw2go said:

I am booked for the tour, July 15th @ 2pm on Cel Millennium

Copied... 

Overview

Your journey into wild Alaska begins the moment you board the tour vessel. Relax in the warm, comfortable cabin, surrounded by large windows, as an onboard naturalist provides compelling narration about the wildlife, geography and glaciers of the area. The waters and wilderness of this region are home to an abundance of wildlife and feature breathtaking scenery. The maneuverable, shallow-draft tour vessel provides a chance for up-close encounters and best photo opportunities of the area's animal species, in addition to exploration of the shoreline and islands. Throughout your tour, enjoy the dramatic vistas of rocky coastlines shaped by the mighty Pacific Ocean, and endless expanses of rainforest and snow-capped mountains. As you approach Hubbard Glacier, the experience captain will weave your tour vessel through a maze of icebergs, some multiple stories tall, making for amazing photos. The Hubbard Glacier is often very active, and dramatic displays of calving - one of Mother Nature's most impressive shows - can occur at any time. All in all, this tour makes for an unforgettable experience, and quite possibly, the wildlife encounter of a lifetime.

Highlights

• Marvel at jaw-dropping panoramas of temperate rainforest, snowcapped mountains, abundant icebergs and dramatic coastline.
  • The maneuverability and draft of this Alaskan-built vessel allows for exploration of areas not accessible by larger ships, including close-ups of icebergs and shallow coastlines.
  • An onboard naturalist will talk about the local wildlife and geographic features of the area, complementing the visual experience of the tour.
  • Enjoy the detours and stops along the way to take amazing photographs and soak in scenery impossible to view from a cruise ship.

Important details and advisements

• Complimentary beverages included onboard the tour vessel: hot chocolate, coffee, tea, and water.
  • Guests with limited mobility and wheelchair-dependent guests should not select this tour, as they must navigate a number of stairs, moving platforms and a narrow door threshold with little to no assistance.
  • This tour operates in all weather conditions.
  • Additional beverages are available for purchase.
  • Wildlife sightings are frequent, but not guaranteed.
  • Tours, tour dates, and times are subject to change and availability.
  • Please be advised that this tour is likely to sell out. We recommend you book early so you don’t miss out.
  • Guests must be of legal age to drink alcohol.
  • Alcohol may be available, please drink responsibly.

Departs at

Day 2
2:00 pm

Duration
2hr 30 min

Activity Level
Mild
Full participation may require leisurely walking over primarily even surfaces... 

This is in my cruise planner. 

Hmmm....We I believe were talking specifically about RCI not Celebrity !

There's the confusion !!!!

You and latebuyer have interjected Celebrity into a conversation about RCI and the OP question about Brilliance.

Edited by Ashland

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

Latebuyer said RCCL and Hubbard Glacier. I don't think there is any confusion, I just did a google search and it was offered on Radiance in 2018 

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/rccl-asr/img/s.gif

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/en_US/images/misc/web_page/header/cor_shoreexcursions_hdr.gif
Hubbard Glacier (Cruising)

Hubbard Glacier is 76 miles long, 7 miles wide and 350 feet above the water line where it meets the bay. Watch as massive chunks of ice crash into the bay, a process known as calving that the Tlingit people call "White Thunder."

View the Shore Excursions Icon Key
htt

Activity Type: Destination Highlights
Approximate Duration: 2 hour(s) 30 minute(s) 
Prices starting from:
*289.00 USD (Adult)
*189.00 USD (Child)
*0.00 USD (Infant) 

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/media/royal/shared_assets/icons/advisement_snack_r.png    http://media.royalcaribbean.com/media/royal/shared_assets/icons/activity-level-mild-blue.png

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/rccl-asr/img/bld/cor_dashboarder6_bld.gif
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/rccl-asr/img/s.gif http://www.royalcaribbean.com/rccl-asr/img/s.gif http://www.royalcaribbean.com/rccl-asr/img/s.gif
Edited by cw2go

15 minutes ago, Ashland said:

You and latebuyer have interjected Celebrity into a conversation about RCI and the OP question about Brilliance.

I am answering pickle11...didn't interject anything but it does seem you have a problem with being wrong! You clearly state something doesn't exist that in fact does. 

Not gonna argue any further. The tour is in fact offered with X and RCCL and it is a small boat to Hubbard not Tracy Arm. 

6 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Interesting. So this ship pulls up along side the RCI ship and you transfer to it much like a tender and it then returns you ?? Perhaps this has never been offered on our Northbound or roundtrip Vancouver itineraries..Thanks for your info.