Coffee Card Question

NouCruzer

We are booked on a November cruise on Explorer OTS and I see that the coffee card drink package is being offered for $31 per person for the entire 8 day cruise (for a maximum of 15 drinks per person).   This would be a no brainer for my DW and I, as we could easily have 2 capacchinos (or specialty coffees) per person each morning and maybe an espresso after dinner.  But I also recall discussions in the past where some beverages have been charged double for certain coffees.  

Looking for first hand experience regarding how RCI handles this offer.  For example, if a capacchino requires 2 punches on the card, it's a no go; not worth it.  If not, we're in.

Thanks.

The coffee card is probably Royal's best beverage package -- if you're talking about value for the dollar.  Things to know: 

- You can buy one coffee card to share OR you can buy one each.  

- Each card is good for 15 punches, so you're looking at about $2 per punch ... some baristas will "charge" two punches for large drinks, whereas others will only charge one.  Inconsistent.  A smart consumer would pay attention to who charges how much.  

- You cannot use the card at Starbucks.  

- If you don't use all the punches on the card, you could probably save the card /use it again on your next cruise.  Since everything tends to go up-up-up in price, this could be a hedge against inflation. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury

50 minutes ago, NouCruzer said:

We are booked on a November cruise on Explorer OTS and I see that the coffee card drink package is being offered for $31 per person for the entire 8 day cruise (for a maximum of 15 drinks per person).   This would be a no brainer for my DW and I, as we could easily have 2 capacchinos (or specialty coffees) per person each morning and maybe an espresso after dinner.  But I also recall discussions in the past where some beverages have been charged double for certain coffees.  

Looking for first hand experience regarding how RCI handles this offer.  For example, if a capacchino requires 2 punches on the card, it's a no go; not worth it.  If not, we're in.

Thanks.

The coffee card is always $31.  It is the only thing I have never seen on sale, so I would suggest you buy it onboard the ship after finding out how many punches they are charging per coffee.  It is not a length of cruise package, it is a punch card that you could use all in one day if you wanted to and can be shared.  

The punches also depend on the barista and the amount of "shots" added to the coffee etc. Just off Symphony and depending on barista we had depended on punches. Sometimes, they didn't charge any extra punches. My wife would order a Grande and he would split it to 2 smaller cups so we both had a specialty coffee and only charged one punch. It was definitely not consistent.