NCL Dawn to Bermuda

mackfam

Haven’t been on NCL for many years but thinking of booking a family cruise to Bermuda on the Dawn next Spring for DH’s 60th birthday. I like the fact that it leaves from Boston as we could drive to the port instead of flying. We would have our four adult children and their significant others with us. DH and myself prefer the smaller older ships over the new megaships but I don’t want the youngsters to be bored. Looking for feedback from any recent cruisers.

15 minutes ago, mackfam said:

Haven’t been on NCL for many years but thinking of booking a family cruise to Bermuda on the Dawn next Spring for DH’s 60th birthday. I like the fact that it leaves from Boston as we could drive to the port instead of flying. We would have our four adult children and their significant others with us. DH and myself prefer the smaller older ships over the new megaships but I don’t want the youngsters to be bored. Looking for feedback from any recent cruisers.

Are you sure that Dawn is sailing Boston-Bermuda in 2023?

GC

29 minutes ago, mackfam said:

The Pearl is back again next year in Beantown. The Gem returns in 2024.    Nothing on future radar about the Dawn returning. She left Boston in 2018 for New York, and the Gem did the opposite move. Would love to have the Dawn back in Boston. She was, is, my favorite ship.

• Like 1

We did the Gem out of Boston in November 2019 and we've done the Breakaway twice out of NYC. I think the Dawn is very similar to the Gem. Personally, I preferred the Gem. It was a good size without being gargantuan. After a week, we knew every nook and cranny and felt like we were at home. The Breakaway felt too big. It seemed like we had to walk forever to get anywhere. The Gem has the Spinnaker Lounge, where they do a lot of the interactive shows. It's such a great space. The Breakaway had a lot of events in the Atrium, which was always a bit of a cluster****. The only disadvantage to a smaller ship is fewer spaces for events, so fewer events. It seemed like there were more events on the Breakaway.

Edited by MaggieNY

Bummer, I thought I'd missed something about Dawn's return to Boston.  Agree with others, Dawn is a favorite of ours.  

@mackfamI suspect your "adult children" and their SOs will make their own fun (assuming they get along) and won't need the tracks and lasers etc on the bigger ships.   I wouldn't hesitate to book whatever ship it is that is leaving from Boston.

I hope the Dawn isn't sailing out of Boston next spring because we're booked on her April 2nd out of Tampa. 🙂 I agree with others that adult children will find their own fun. In addition to being off the ship all day, the pools in the day and music options at night will certainly keep them entertained.

In fact, our daughter is not an adult. She will just have turned 12 when we sail Dawn next spring. We really wanted to go out of Tampa and only smaller ships can make it under the bridge so the options are limited. Last spring break we went of Oasis of the Seas, one of the largest ships in the world with every option you can imagine. When I asked her if she'd be ok going on a smaller ship that didn't have any slides or extra entertainment she said, "Well, does it have a pool?" When I said it did, her response was, "Ok, them I'm good." I think your kids will be "good" too, regardless of the ship they're on. Hopefully you can find one out of Boston.

Sorry, my mistake, it is the Pearl!  I know the Dawn used to sail from Boston and somehow had that name stuck in my mind. I don’t know how to edit the title of this thread. 

Any comments on the Pearl?

Edited by mackfam

We were on Pearl out of Boston May 2022. I really enjoyed the ship. I like the simplicity of the non-mega ships. It is a Jewel class ship like Gem mentioned above. The ship is older, but has been refurbed. I like that you do not need to reserve any of the shows like you do on a mega-ship. It will be easier to find each other when you want to. 

It has a decent pool area with two pools and multiple hot tubs. The Great Outdoors is a good place to get a cocktail and watch sail away. In addition to the Spinnaker Lounge which has some fun games and entertainment is the Bliss Lounge and Night Club that has bowling in it and sometimes Karaoke. There is also a nice bar area on deck six that has a piano player. Plus entertainment in the atrium. Quite a bit to keep adults busy. 

We have done the Boston to Bermuda run several times over the years and like to go near the end of May before school gets out. One year we waited until June and had a lot of people celebrating graduations. It was a little bit too busy for us at that time. The weather at the end of May is nice and warm in Bermuda, but not too hot. It is great to be able to drive to the port. We usually park in the lots that are right by the pier in front of the ship. Very convenient.

This year we are going earlier in the spring at the beginning of April due to some events in our family that are going to be in May. I plan on getting thermal suite passes so that we have something to do if the weather is cool. I like the hot tub and hydrotherapy pool, the heated ceramic loungers, and the sauna with windows on two sides that are in the thermal suite. So relaxing.

I have read that the Thermal Spas can be quite different on various NCL ships.  Some have large windows overlooking front of ship with tiled warm lingers along the windows while some ships do not.    Do you have any experience with this and which ships do you recommend for best Thermal Spa? Thanks.