Whats around where RCCL docks?

Mike Dante

Hi All

We have done Mahogany Bay. We sail next week on RCCL, and am curious as to where we dock and what there is around the dock area. Is is like Mahogany where you can walk past the shops and go to the beach area or is this not an option?

Thanks for any help

Mike 

Royal docks at  Coxen Hole. There are a few shops and bar within  the port or local shops outside.

pre- covid they were in the process of developing a beach and waterpark area but I imagine that has come to a halt. Maya Key excursion via cruiseline is the nearest beach and most convenient (5 minute boat ride away). There is no decent beach within walking distance. Next closest is Sol y Mar by taxi/tour, or others further away via driver for the day or cruise line.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Longford said:

Coxen Hole was a port stop for me last week.  I was on the Serenade of the Seas and I did not take one of the excursions.  I explored on foot and, for me, it was the worst port stop of the 7 night cruise. 

Yes, not much in Coxen Hole.  A couple of bars/restaurants along the waterfront but  not a lot to see outside the cruise port.  You need to visit the rest of the island next time.  Great beaches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

You need to visit the rest of the island next time.  Great beaches.

No.  In my opinion, RCL should not dock there.  There won't be another time, because I won't book an itinerary that docks in that spot.  By the way, I logged 25,000 steps exploring the area by foot ... so it wasn't just the rundown dock area.

21 minutes ago, Longford said:

No.  In my opinion, RCL should not dock there.  There won't be another time, because I won't book an itinerary that docks in that spot.  By the way, I logged 25,000 steps exploring the area by foot ... so it wasn't just the rundown dock area.

Carnival, Princess, HAL all dock up in Mahoganey Bay.  But while there's a beach there, you'll need an excursion to see anything else outside the port area.  Excursions are what most cruisers do in Roatan.  

Edited by crewsweeper

21 minutes ago, Longford said:

Shame to be so dismissive, Coxen Hole has never been considered  a destination in itself and as @crewsweeper says you need to get outside the port to experience Roatan, either with a private driver or cruise line excursion. It isn’t my favorite port either but we have made many port of call stops there over the years since about  2005 and I can tell you it has greatly improved since those early days! An extra pier was added just before Covid shut everything  down and if the water park development ever gets completed there will hopefully be more for people to do in the immediate area. I have my own issues with Roatan generally but it isn’t based on my opinion of Coxen Hole. 

Some research on the port of call board may have provided suggestions for something that may have interested you. We actually enjoy lunch and a drink at Captain Jack’s, just outside the port these days but we have been on several trips east and west of Coxen Hole in the past. 

It is good that there are many different itineraries to choose from so good luck with future sailings and choices. Sometimes it is nice just to have a ship day - difficult to enjoy EVERY port of call on an itinerary 

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Longford said:

I bet you're fun at parties

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Motor City said:

Visiting Roatan in Feb on Serenade, planning a beach day and hopefully be able to snorkel from shore or catch a quick boat to spend an hour or so on the reef. Any suggestions from the pros? TIA

West Bay.  Look up Banarama, Paradise Beach, Beachers, Infinity Bay.  All have websites and information.  You can grab a small boat off any beach (you'll see them) and negotiate a price.  Ask them to motor up to the West End reefs.  Or maybe just head for Half Moon Bay in the West End and try from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Crewsweeper is spot on about West Bay and West End. Nice beaches and easy to access via taxi or through online tour companies.  We have done Roatan several times and Coxen Hole is one place that I will have a guided tour before I get off of the ship.  We tried a DIY day and didn't get 50 yards from the gate before we were mauled by vendors. Roatan is a decent stop if you dodge Coxen Hole.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
23 minutes ago, qkd0314 said:

Thank you for all of the tips! Docking there on RCCL Icon in March, assuming it will be Coxen Hole.  I will plan to make that a ship day for sure.  

Definitely Coxen Hole.

lots to do but you do need transport if you leave the ship.