Driving to Galveston-looking for advice

kelkel2

12 hours ago, txjim09 said:

Depends on day, time of day and which direction traffic is heading.  In general it moves reasonably well but you can get behind a line of trucks with boat trailers on Saturdays and Sundays.  I don't believe it's a major route for large commercial traffic, perhaps someone local can correct me.  I would not worry about the crossing one bit.

I will say that I've seen more dolphins on the ferry than anyone on the dolphin tour.

My use of the ferry would be a Friday morning before 11 AM.

I have to decide between heading south across the ferry or further west to Houston.  Possible traffic issues both ways.

Thanks for your insigths.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 5:42 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Question:  How reliable is the Galveston-Port Bolivar Ferry between Bolivar and Galveston Island.

Coming from North Alabama intending to spend the night in Lafayette.  

Be prepared for a possible long wait at the Ferry. I'm sure it varies, but last may we waited over 45 minutes to board coming from Galveston and about that long upon returning. We watched as car after car who arrived after us were allowed ahead of us. Turns out locals can get a pass that allows them priority boarding. We go there every year, and the wait used to be way shorter...sometimes no wait at all. Apparently not any more.

24 minutes ago, hillbillycruisers said:

Be prepared for a possible long wait at the Ferry. I'm sure it varies, but last may we waited over 45 minutes to board coming from Galveston and about that long upon returning. We watched as car after car who arrived after us were allowed ahead of us. Turns out locals can get a pass that allows them priority boarding. We go there every year, and the wait used to be way shorter...sometimes no wait at all. Apparently not any more.

Thank  you for the information that confirms my concerns about the wait at the ferry.  We haven't decided on flying or driving but if we drive we will avoid the ferry.

Local advice:  Use of toll road - unless one has an EasyTag -which is required in some portions of the toll road you will receive a bill with a surcharge.  I do not recommend using the toll road without the EasyTag.

Ferry:  Yes it will back up in summer, holidays and spring break.  Wait time is typically less than 15 minutes during off season.  We always use the ferry when traveling  and would not even consider going through Houston.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 4:29 PM, cruisegus said:

@kelkel2 when I drive that route, I stay on I-55S to I-40W. At Little Rock use I-440 to skirt the south side. Then I-30W to US-59S at Texarkana.  US-59 is 4 lane and is the I-69 corridor as that is what it becomes north of Dallas. 

This may add 50 miles overall but I think the increased speed of more limited access hwy make up for the miles.

JMHO

There will be some traffic lights/small towns on US 59/I-69 South of Texarkana but it is the most direct route. When you get South of Lufkin, watch your speed limits, the local PD’s write lots of tickets along that route.

Edited by dan4182

On 11/2/2022 at 6:02 AM, casteevo said:

Honestly, as long as you're avoiding weekday rush hours, you should be fine pushing through Houston going from 59 to 45 which will take you into Galveston.

Really just depends on your anticipated timing.

To avoid the tolls, take 59 to I-610 East over the Ship Channel Bridge and reconnect with I-45 on the South side of downtown Houston.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 9:51 AM, dan4182 said:

To avoid the tolls, take 59 to I-610 East over the Ship Channel Bridge and reconnect with I-45 on the South side of downtown Houston.

looping around 610 definitely best way we've found to get south of Houston

• Like 1