Lead Time Booking Excursions

where next

We are taking a Southern Caribbean cruise with Holland America  commencing Feb. 15th, 2023. How far in advance should we book our excursions with the cruise line. With the increased number of travellers, waiting to book aboard the ship is likely too late for popular excursions.

8 minutes ago, where next said:

We are taking a Southern Caribbean cruise with Holland America  commencing Feb. 15th, 2023. How far in advance should we book our excursions with the cruise line. With the increased number of travellers, waiting to book aboard the ship is likely too late for popular excursions.

Hi! I would book something I really wanted to do as soon as possible. I’m going on HAL in January and I noticed things are

already sold out. I have already begun booking excursions for our cruise at the end of August 

We seldom book ship excursions, but if that's your preference, book now so that you won't be disappointed if something you're interested in sells out. If you change your mind later, you can always cancel and get a refund.

Another reason to book earlier is foreign exchange. Unless you have USD already and are using it to pay for excursions, forecasts are for USD to cost $1.38 by the end of Dec and $1.44 in the next 12 months.

1 minute ago, ctlyf said:

Another reason to book earlier is foreign exchange. Unless you have USD already and are using it to pay for excursions, forecasts are for USD to cost $1.38 by the end of Dec and $1.44 in the next 12 months.

It's already costing $1.39-$1.42+ for the US dollar. I just checked my CC statement and that's what the rates been over the last couple weeks. It's been higher for the last couple months.

7 minutes ago, juraspark said:

It's already costing $1.39-$1.42+ for the US dollar. I just checked my CC statement and that's what the rates been over the last couple weeks. It's been higher for the last couple months.

My apologies... the rates I was looking are the bank rates I believe. Banks and CC bump their rates so they profit. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ctlyf said:

My apologies... the rates I was looking are the bank rates I believe. Banks and CC bump their rates so they profit. 

Yesterday they were showing $1.37 but they processed all my charges on the 30th and 31st! Or today at the higher rates. On the plus side one of my refunds actually was a little more than what I had paid 🙂  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would book ASAP.  We are booked on the HAL Dec 27 Southern Caribbean.  I've had a horrible time finding excursions - it looks like a lot of providers went under during COVID so there are limited providers overall.  HAL excursions were all full by early Oct (the good ones that is), and both Ship Excursioneer and Shore Excursions canceled many of our booked excursions (3).