2 Couples - 3 Teens - What to do at this port?

capricorn548

Hello everyone! I am looking for some advice on the best thing to do in this port. We are two couples in our late 30's with 3 teens, aged 13-17. I was wondering about the safety of this port? In my experiences, I consider Cayman "safe", Punta Cana "never leave the resort" and Cozumel "ok but use caution" so that is my scale lol. We love to snorkel in Cayman and Aruba but not so much Cozumel and Cancun. Just looking for something that will be representative of the area, however will feel safe to us and also looking for something where we won't be harassed and pressured to buy things we don't want.

Also looking to see what everyone considers to be the best thing to do here. 🙂

Thanks in advance! 

Doesn't feel as safe as on an island like Cozumel, but not bad either.

But, I've been to dozens of countries and dozens of caribbean ports and have only been marginally concerned for my safety in Ocho Rios Jamaica and New York City.

If you have safety concerns at every little thing, Costa Maya is nowhere near as safe feeling as Grand Cayman. (a very rich island, with modern infrastructure versus Mahahual, with very antiquated infrastructure and very poor area on the Mexican mainland)

Anywhere you go outside the port area, they will be trying to sell you something.

A polite no has always worked for me, but some people don't like being spoken to constantly.

(having lived in Turkey for 2 years, I know its just poor people trying to hustle to scratch out a living, so its never bothered me too much)

I haven't tried one of the private beach clubs outside of town, but I have wandered around in Mahuhual and hit a few beach clubs along the Malecon and the vendors will be bothering you all day if that is a problem. (not sure if there are any vendors at Maya Chan or Almaplena outside of town)

I haven't personally done a Mayan ruin excursion here, but did one in Progresso to the north and it was one of my favorite excursions ever.

I know the excursion in Costa Maya through Native Way gets rave reviews in here if you think your group might enjoy an Indiana Jones day.

I doubt you can get more represntative of the area and its history than Mayan ruins.

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 1

Disagreeing with bguppies.  Costa Maya is as safe as any port.   Not all the gang/drug issues as in Playa Del Carmen.  Shops in the port are similar to Cozumel.  You do need to take a taxi to Mahahual and the beaches along the malecon.  There are hawkers all along the malecon selling stuff, attempting to get you to go to their club (area).   Assuming you're not looking at spending $50 pp for an AI.  But if you tell the taxi driver to go to Krazy Lobster, or YaYas, or Tropicante, there are loungers, good service, good food and drink and there are places nearby to hire a small boat to go snorkel on the reef.   All these have websites or are on Trip Advisor so you can get an idea.

If you are up to seeing some Maya ruins, Native Choice is indeed the way to go.  They have a website and descriptions of their tours.  But that's about it for Costa Maya--port complex, Mahahual malecon, Maya ruins.

• Like 3

I agree with @crewsweeper but everyone’s comfort scale is different.

If you have concerns about Cozumel - (we are happy to walk around town day or night although there are slightly more concerns since Covid) I think you may feel more apprehensive  in Costa Maya, only because it is more rural and has a more “undeveloped” feel to it.

The port area is large and well developed. It has a pool which may satisfy your needs although food and drink are more expensive.

@bguppiesis correct that there will be many vendors on the malecon, in nearby town and also at the flea market within the port. Although persistent they are not aggressive and a polite no thank you will suffice.

Not a lot for teenagers on the malecon unless they are interested in fishing, snorkeling (via boat to reef), bikes or possibly rent a golf cart. There used to be a waterpark near the port but it was closed during Covid and I have not heard of it reopening yet.

My suggestion would be Maya Chan (out of town - no vendors) for paddle boards and kayaks or excursion through ship or independent to ruins or Bacalar lagoon for water activities like floats, maybe kayaks and paddle boards. I haven’t been to the lagoon  so not sure what is available but the ocean around Costa Maya can be “iffy” due to sargassum, depending on the season when you are visiting.

hope this helps with your research.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 12:23 PM, crewsweeper said:

Disagreeing with bguppies.  Costa Maya is as safe as any port.   Not all the gang/drug issues as in Playa Del Carmen.  Shops in the port are similar to Cozumel.  You do need to take a taxi to Mahahual and the beaches along the malecon.  There are hawkers all along the malecon selling stuff, attempting to get you to go to their club (area).   Assuming you're not looking at spending $50 pp for an AI.  But if you tell the taxi driver to go to Krazy Lobster, or YaYas, or Tropicante, there are loungers, good service, good food and drink and there are places nearby to hire a small boat to go snorkel on the reef.   All these have websites or are on Trip Advisor so you can get an idea.

If you are up to seeing some Maya ruins, Native Choice is indeed the way to go.  They have a website and descriptions of their tours.  But that's about it for Costa Maya--port complex, Mahahual malecon, Maya ruins.

I did not say it was unsafe, just not as safe as the comparison of Grand Cayman.

Did you actually read what I wrote?

Does Mahahual feel as safe as Cozumel?

The person has safety concerns and I just tried to put them in perspective for them to evaluate and make an informed decision based on their comparison.

Anyone who says Mahaual is as safe as Grand Cayman is lying.

Offshore banking pays for an extremely nice police force and infrastructure there.

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 9:51 AM, bguppies said:

Doesn't feel as safe as on an island like Cozumel, but not bad either.

But, I've been to dozens of countries and dozens of caribbean ports and have only been marginally concerned for my safety in Ocho Rios Jamaica and New York City.

If you have safety concerns at every little thing, Costa Maya is nowhere near as safe feeling as Grand Cayman. (a very rich island, with modern infrastructure versus Mahahual, with very antiquated infrastructure and very poor area on the Mexican mainland)

Anywhere you go outside the port area, they will be trying to sell you something.

A polite no has always worked for me, but some people don't like being spoken to constantly.

(having lived in Turkey for 2 years, I know its just poor people trying to hustle to scratch out a living, so its never bothered me too much)

I haven't tried one of the private beach clubs outside of town, but I have wandered around in Mahuhual and hit a few beach clubs along the Malecon and the vendors will be bothering you all day if that is a problem. (not sure if there are any vendors at Maya Chan or Almaplena outside of town)

I haven't personally done a Mayan ruin excursion here, but did one in Progresso to the north and it was one of my favorite excursions ever.

I know the excursion in Costa Maya through Native Way gets rave reviews in here if you think your group might enjoy an Indiana Jones day.

I doubt you can get more represntative of the area and its history than Mayan ruins.

I really appreciate your feedback. I tried to reply sooner but had login issues lol.

On 11/6/2022 at 2:15 PM, crewsweeper said:

Yes Mahahual feels as safe as Cozumel.  Maybe safer than the Plaza.  GC does have crime and Gangs are around in Georgetown.  But police have done a very nice job controlling them.

Thanks, this is good to know!

On 11/4/2022 at 12:23 PM, crewsweeper said:

Thanks for your feedback, I will look into these!

I think @bgpuppies is correct in that there are very few ports which would feel as safe as Cayman. I have been to both Cozumel and Cayman on cruises and vacationing at both places and Cayman feels extremely safe in comparison to Cozumel, although compared to Punta Cana, Cozumel feels quite safe lol. It is all relative but my tolerance for feeling unsafe is likely much lower than many other people.

Cozumel and Costa Maya's Port are two distinctly different areas.  Apples to oranges comparisons, IMO.  Mexico has pushed a lot of military resources into Cozumel due to drug cartel violence.  While in the beach in Mahahual we saw heavily armored Mexican Army vehicles patrolling.  I walked extensively in both port stops and felt comfortable.  I've lived in Mexico City previously, have traveled the country extensively, and felt comfortable moving about the two port stops.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Longford said:

Cozumel and Costa Maya's Port are two distinctly different areas.  Apples to oranges comparisons, IMO.  Mexico has pushed a lot of military resources into Cozumel due to drug cartel violence.  While in the beach in Mahahual we saw heavily armored Mexican Army vehicles patrolling.  I walked extensively in both port stops and felt comfortable.  I've lived in Mexico City previously, have traveled the country extensively, and felt comfortable moving about the two port stops.

There is a military installation near the lighthouse in Mahahual.  Always vehicles driving around.  Most police and military carry automatic weapons just as part of their standard equipment.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

There is a military installation near the lighthouse in Mahahual.  Always vehicles driving around.  Most police and military carry automatic weapons just as part of their standard equipment.

Yes, it was standard equipment for an Army or Marine patrol vehicle.  Heavily weaponized, which is the reality of Mexico's combat with the drug cartels.  For visitors unfamiliar with such a sight, it will initiate discussion amongst people ... as it did with the family I was spending the day with.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 3:14 PM, capricorn548 said:

Thanks for your feedback, I will look into these!

I think @bgpuppies is correct in that there are very few ports which would feel as safe as Cayman. I have been to both Cozumel and Cayman on cruises and vacationing at both places and Cayman feels extremely safe in comparison to Cozumel, although compared to Punta Cana, Cozumel feels quite safe lol. It is all relative but my tolerance for feeling unsafe is likely much lower than many other people.

Excellent.

I wasn't trying to poo-poo on Costa Maya, just trying to give an honest assesment of it compared to 2 of the most common western caribbean ports. (Cozumel and Grand Cayman)

Just because myself or others feel safe in a particular port, doesn't mean somebody else's safety threshold isn't lower.

(Tons of people talk about feeling unsafe in Nassau and I personally love walking around there)

Hopefully after hearing everybody's input, you can make an informed decision for yourself and your family.

• Like 2