Beginners Action Camera

stevea20

Does anyone have any suggestions for an action camera for a beginner.  I know GoPro are the top names but they are just too high in price.

I've looked at various AKASO models, which are lower prices but I just don't know which are the better choices.  Checking reviews are all over the place

I'm thinking of getting this type of camera for a potential shore excursion I'm thinking of for next March.

• Like 1

The better choice really depends in part upon your budget, the subject matter/conditions you are shooting, and what you're trying/expecting to accomplish. Regardless, most people don't need latest and greatest technology. Some willingly accept a few trade-offs such as washed-out color or poor audio because they're wizards at post production. For others, just having video of an event/subject is 'good enough', regardless of how it turned out. Depending upon your situation, even a repurposed old smartphone in a suitable case might be good enough for the job.

When shooting action video, image stabilization and audio are very important. It takes additional steps in post production to correct shaky video and/or sh*tty audio and sometimes the results aren't great. If you're going to overwrite the recorded audio with a voice over or licensed music in post production, then poor recorded audio isn't a big deal.

Are you able to return to the same place to reshoot -- without great inconvenience/cost -- if the video doesn't isn't as good as you had hoped (e.g., weather, waves, overcast skies, too many people in the area, equipment issues, etc.)? If not, you might want to consider increasing your budget and investing in a 'better' action camera from the beginning.

Older Go Pro models can often be found often at a discount to the current model. Also check the upcoming Black Friday ads. 

Another thing to consider -- the number and variety of GoPro compatible third-party add-ons and YouTube videos for tips/help can't be beat. You're probably going to want some accessories, not just the action camera itself.

Finally, does your local camera store rent action cameras? There are some online sites that rent GoPros, but they're not likely to be cheap.

Edited by dwc13

I was wondering the same thing.  I have a GoPro and want to use it for ziplining, how well will it hold up?  I already have a chest strap (made for a GoPro) but the last camera I used (a VivoAction Go, which cost about $20) decided to not record my entire zipline on my last cruise.  It was never used, and after some investigation, it turns out the battery was bad.  I'm hoping the GoPro won't have the same experience.  The other camera never got wet, never faced the elements...nothing.

Make sure your GoPro is operating properly before you go ziplining. Perhaps test it out while riding your bike (get a proper mount). Play with the settings and see how the recorded video changes. 

Thousands of people have successfully recorded really good video using a GoPro under far more demanding conditions and activities than ziplining. But if its ziplining you're interested in, check the following videos (YMMV):

One of the best things about many GoPro models is the removable battery. Bring spares for your GoPro -- a battery or two and a SD/microSD card. Shooting at higher resolution, higher frame rates takes more space and drains the battery faster.

On 11/3/2022 at 8:41 PM, stevea20 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for an action camera for a beginner.  I know GoPro are the top names but they are just too high in price.

I've looked at various AKASO models, which are lower prices but I just don't know which are the better choices.  Checking reviews are all over the place

I'm thinking of getting this type of camera for a potential shore excursion I'm thinking of for next March.

I have a number of GP's and DJI cameras. DO NOT buy the Action 3. I've had three of them and they have a focus issue. The GoPro 11 is fantastic, 10 Bit color is a game changer