how formal for Norway fjords?

elaine5

Have only done TAs on Cunard (QM2/QE2), so I have approached the dress code in a strict and traditional way, meaning I wore black tie for the gala nights, and creative black tie for the non-gala nights, other than first and last nights.  Not sure how I would handle evening dress for a cruise where the old school rules guiding non-gala nights would seem a bit less defined.

On 11/10/2022 at 2:25 AM, elaine5 said:

How formal is dining for summer Norway fjords cruise on Queen Elizabeth? Would we feel out of place if husband wore sports jacket with buttondown shirt/tie/slacks for formal nights and I wore simple dress, skirt/blouse, dressy silky capris/silk blouse? And, do we need to dress in costumes for themed balls? What percentage do (not) dress up for those events? And what would be attire for the other nights? We are used to Princess/Celebrity dress codes. Not a lot of luggage space for a tux or long gowns. 

hi, yea i had the same concerns on my first Cuanrd voyage

in general, for men, always bring a dark business suit with a tie (you can wear the same without tie for all other evenings for smart casual) 

if you have enough luggage space, a tux and bow tie is fun too, but not mandatory.

for the ladies, probably follow the guide on the cunard website because i dont know much about women's clothes.... 

sometimes i didnt feel like dressing up for dinner, and just went straight to the buffet, and then took a walk on the deck. you wont be alone if you do that,  i assure you.

anything goes before 6pm; tshirts , shorts, slippers no problem. 

As an aside.

If the weight limitations for a single hold suitcase on an economy flight is the reason for not packing a Tux.  Then consider paying for an additional suitcase.  Or one can place a a pair, or two, of men’s shoes within the cabin luggage case.  BA gives a generous 23 kilos for cabin.

41 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

As an aside.

If the weight limitations for a single hold suitcase on an economy flight is the reason for not packing a Tux.  Then consider paying for an additional suitcase.  Or one can place a a pair, or two, of men’s shoes within the cabin luggage case.  BA gives a generous 23 kilos for cabin.

Not everyone wants to fork out for an additional case although the most obvious downside of  your suggestion is the fact you mentioned B.A., the acronym of which I won't repeat as Hattie's finger might get fidgety!  🙂

Just now, Victoria2 said:

Not everyone wants to fork out for an additional case although the most obvious downside of  your suggestion is the fact you mentioned B.A., the acronym of which I won't repeat as Hattie's finger might get fidgety!  🙂

Sorry to mention BA.    But there are other airlines that have a carry on allowance.

When we were on Cunard in 2019 through the Fjords of Norway, the dress code in the evenings was adhered to extremely well by the passengers… and the Gala nights were gorgeous.

During the day people dressed as they wished for whatever activities or excursions they were on.

We do lots of exploring and hiking… so my day wear always included layers and hiking boots while in Norway.

One of the best lightweight travel tips I have for glam-ing up your evening wear is sparkly jewelry and accessories.That can absolutely help, because it is easy to pack and does not take up a bunch of room.

Enjoy!