Included wine and beer serving times

miscstuff1

Just wondering if the included beer and wine for lunch and dinner are only served/available in the restaurants?  Or can you pick up one at a bar during the dining hours?  What about at the pool grill?  Also, as you are leaving lunch or dinner, are you able to carry out a beer or wine with you?

2 hours ago, miscstuff1 said:

Just wondering if the included beer and wine for lunch and dinner are only served/available in the restaurants?  Or can you pick up one at a bar during the dining hours?  What about at the pool grill?  Also, as you are leaving lunch or dinner, are you able to carry out a beer or wine with you?

In my experience, the included beer/wine is not available at the bars.  Also, although not publicized, included also allows for sparkling wine as well as beer/wine.  Official Lunch and Dinner hours at World Cafe, Chef's Table, Manfredi's, The Restaurant, and the Pool Grill.  (Not sure about Mamsen's at lunch).  The Pool Grill hours are only the lunch hours, not the extended food hours (I know, I tried!) and that is usually 11 or 12 to 2.   Actual hours do vary especially if there are ports and excursions going on.  (i.e. World Cafe is not always beginning at 12:00).  

We always get a full glass of wine "to go" as we leave the World Cafe from a meal.  Have not done that at Manfredi's, Chef's Table, or the Restaurant.

Last Dec., we went to the Explorer's Bar, for a glass of wine before dinner (we eat later than most pax).  Sat at the bar, ordered our wine.  Asked bartender if he wanted our cabin#. Said no, it's dinnertime now. N/C.  We did not have SSP.  Only did this once, since wine was included at dinner.

21 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Last Dec., we went to the Explorer's Bar, for a glass of wine before dinner (we eat later than most pax).  Sat at the bar, ordered our wine.  Asked bartender if he wanted our cabin#. Said no, it's dinnertime now. N/C.  We did not have SSP.  Only did this once, since wine was included at dinner.

Well there you go.  We tried this once at Explorer's, and bartender said we had to go to a restaurant else he would have to charge us.  Guess another of Viking's inconsistencies of policy.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, I've found the bar tenders on Viking tend to have their own interpretations of policy.  I've sat down at the bar, and asked for a beer. The bar tender asked if I was on my way or from dinner.  A YES delivered me a complimentary beer.

Never happened outside of formal dining hours, though.

• Thanks 1

One time we didn't get the SSP and I ordered a Viking sparkling wine in the Explorers Lounge after 6 pm.  Was fully expecting to pay for it.  I did not have a charge on my room bill for it.  Usually I would order from wine list and did get charged.  Go figure.