Panama Canal by Ferry for Colon Port Stop?

elbodans

I'm looking for any feedback from someone who has done the Panama Canal transit on a ferry as an excursion on a sailing which does not even partially transit the canal but instead docks in Colon. So to be clear: this is not a Panama Canal CRUISE, this is a cruise that stops near-ish to the Panama Canal. It's an MSC cruise and the port is Colon.

I've always wanted to do a transit and this is my chance. I understand it is a long day, as you are in a bus for 1.5 hours in each direction and then on a ferry for five hours. Was the five hours on the ferry enjoyable? My main goal is everyone's main goal--to experience the canal and learn about the feat of engineering that it is. I guess I'm just looking for any warnings from anyone who has done it before I book it, as it isn't an inexpensive excursion. 

I'm mainly concerned about comfort. For example: toilets. I'm assuming there are toilets on a passenger ferry for five hours but that would be a very unfortunate assumption if I'm wrong. Also is there outdoor seating? Again, assuming this but need to ask. Thanks! 

I just booked a semi-last minute last night--we sail in 14 days so I'm sort of scrambling to pull everything together. Thanks! 

If you read down this forum you will find some reports on this tour.  It doesn’t matter if you are doing it from a ship that does a partial transit, or one that just does a port stop in Colon.  I think the same company/organization runs all the tours, and I think it is regulated by the canal authority.  I read one recently that stated there was a basic lunch buffet and a couple of adequate toilets onboard.  But I don’t remember if I read that here, or on another board cruise review.  But read a bunch of threads here.  It is mentioned and described often.  EM

To complicate describing the vessel used, there are at least three different "ferries" that can be used for this excursion and what they offer in amenities can vary somewhat.  However they all offer essentially the same product and similar amenities.  Of course there are the exceptions in the long drawn out Canal portion of the excursion, these don't happen every trip, but they can happen.  If you are wishing have a good look at the Canal, this is your best option.