Tuxedo rental available on Carnival?

kruisecat

MY problem with buying myself a tuxedo, having done it several times in my life now, is that they somehow shrink when not in use.  It's very weird.

😉

But yes, if purchasing is "close enough" to the rental price, why not get one?  If it gets used a second time you come out ahead, and if cheaper to buy (via Amazon, as noted) then it is definitely the right choice.

I agree with @CruizinSusan70 - Ebay! I have found many a tux there for my son over the years for our cruise formal nights, usually for less than $40-50. Sometimes you might have to ferret out the jacket and the pants separately, but it's worth it.

Funny side-story... He would sometimes balk at having to dress up for formal night until one cruise when he was about 11 or 12, when two pretty little girls about his age told him he looked like James Bond. 😘 He wanted to wear his tux to school after that, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 4:11 PM, CruiserLucas said:

Thanks for the follow up! I suspected a drastically cheaper price - personally I just would have been hesitant to buy a niche item for a growing boy, even $60 vs $XXX for the rental. But maaaaybe... Hear me out... Can they both keep theirs clean and you tuck the tags for the evening; return it when you get back to port. 🤣🤣

My son is just so excited that I can't resist buying it!  But..if it happens to stay clean...it just may go back 😉

When my son was little,I bought him the cheap polyester tuxes on eBay. Now that he’s 16, we go up just a little, and he gets the fashion suits at Kohls. My hubby bought his tux for less than $50 at a fundraiser that had taken donations from a rental wear store. Nothing is great quality, but they sure do look handsome.

BF63B6AE-D164-432A-A8BD-12425DC0D78C.jpeg.86a38bf056edba28e83d9ba33de42310.jpeg

02FB204D-53C4-43D4-8A97-19A4318F3535.thumb.jpeg.dc379f36b44c533c5d3d03d535885776.jpeg

B81B2377-A56E-4F33-B5B1-FEC0DAB47A8B.thumb.jpeg.0100abf8494b01c5993e5be7f942d55e.jpeg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

When my son was little,I bought him the cheap polyester tuxes on eBay. Now that he’s 16, we go up just a little, and he gets the fashion suits at Kohls. My hubby bought his tux for less than $50 at a fundraiser that had taken donations from a rental wear store. Nothing is great quality, but they sure do look handsome.

BF63B6AE-D164-432A-A8BD-12425DC0D78C.jpeg.86a38bf056edba28e83d9ba33de42310.jpeg

02FB204D-53C4-43D4-8A97-19A4318F3535.thumb.jpeg.dc379f36b44c533c5d3d03d535885776.jpeg

B81B2377-A56E-4F33-B5B1-FEC0DAB47A8B.thumb.jpeg.0100abf8494b01c5993e5be7f942d55e.jpeg

Nothing to offer for the original topic at hand, but thank you for sharing these photos! Your family is absolutely beautiful and it was a real treat to see y'all through the years!

• Like 1

Someone asked our son to be in a wedding when he was 7-years-old, and when I took him to get fitted for the tux and found out it was a $25 deposit.....then a final price of $180, I left. Before I left, I said, I understand with boys this young we have to buy theirs (this was the case with 2 nephews previously), but that's a lot when he's going to grow out of it soon and probably won't wear it again. They said, "No it's just a rental." 😲

Anyway, in the end, I found tuxedos on Amazon for $28. Of course I waited too long and it went up about $10, but I was more than satisfied once I received it. I was worried about the sizing so I ordered up a size bigger (son has always been tall for his age). Turns out, the tux was true to size so I could've gotten his size instead the one that was a little big, but overall he looked awesome! Linking the one we bought Amazon: Spring Notion Big Boys' Modern Fit Tuxedo, No Tail

• Like 1

Put us also in the tuxedo and full-length gown or very dressy cocktail both formal nights every cruise.  On regular nights he wears slacks and button-down or polo style shirt, I wear a more casual dress, or skirt and dressy top for regular night dinners.  He has actually gotten a lot of use out of the tux over the years, and it wasn't even all on cruises.  We really like the opportunity to dress up, we don't get to very often at all.

Hubby bought his tux at JCPenney.  I don't remember how much it was but it was definitely well under $200.  In 2018 they had a coupon (2bigsale) that made the full tux with shirt tie cummerbund buttons cufflinks slacks jacket for $119 (friend's hubby bought one for our Dec 2018 cruise).  Bonus about the tux if you cruise at least yearly ... he takes it out at least a month or two before each cruise to make sure it still fits .   If not, that's his catalyst to get back into tux fitting shape.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, angela12345 said:

Put us also in the tuxedo and full-length gown or very dressy cocktail both formal nights every cruise.  On regular nights he wears slacks and button-down or polo style shirt, I wear a more casual dress, or skirt and dressy top for regular night dinners.  He has actually gotten a lot of use out of the tux over the years, and it wasn't even all on cruises.  We really like the opportunity to dress up, we don't get to very often at all.

Hubby bought his tux at JCPenney.  I don't remember how much it was but it was definitely well under $200.  In 2018 they had a coupon (2bigsale) that made the full tux with shirt tie cummerbund buttons cufflinks slacks jacket for $119 (friend's hubby bought one for our Dec 2018 cruise).  Bonus about the tux if you cruise at least yearly ... he takes it out at least a month or two before each cruise to make sure it still fits .   If not, that's his catalyst to get back into tux fitting shape.  😂

And the added bonus one buying those $200 tux's at J.C. Penny there is not enough material to let them out so your hubby has to get back into tux fitting shape! When Mrs. Dawg starts commenting that I might have put on a few pounds I take mine (it cost more than the J.C. Penny ones) to the tailor and have it let up a bit. Then I model it for her and say; "See, my Tux still fits! Now can we stop having skinless chicken every night!" 😁

So guys, don't let your wife buy your tux for you. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 3