Rotterdam Oct. 30 to Nov. 20 Back-t0-Back Cabin 6096

BobbiSox

Just got home a few days ago. I had booked a deck 6, mid-ship balcony cabin. I had asked the HAL booking agent "Are there any problems with this cabin?" to which she replied "Oh no! It's a lovely cabin". I even did my research to verify because sometimes the agents  don't know anything much about a particular cabin but I had missed ond thing: it was not only an 'adjoining' cabin; it was directly accross the hall from a busy utility room with a door that was slammed every ten minutes. Ship was full and no other cabin available.  I could hear not only the television and the music and every conversation, but there were some really awful things that I could hear also. I tried earplugs, but that was unacceptable, to have to wear earpulgs day and night. It was a very long 20 days. And nights. 

I'm sorry that happened to you. You should note that on reviews and on HALFACTS and the other unnamed site. I had a very loud snorer in a joining room and once a baby who cried a lot but I think you have that beat by a long ways. Did you try talking to them or have housekeeping suggest they tone it down as their personal details were being shared with the whole neighborhood with their loudness?

• Like 2

I assume it was security (but could have been housekeeping)went up once; they had gone out and left the tv blasting. I wouldn't dream of confronting passengers with that kind of chutzpah. I wouldn't risk making the situation any worse, and we all know things can always get worse. Maybe they thought they were on a Carnival ship, lol.

You said you researched the cabin... if you were looking at a deck plan, it would clearly show that it was an adjoining cabin.  Also, the trick to avoiding noisy crew doors is to book across from inside cabins, and not a "blank space" on the deck plan.  So sorry you experienced this, along with bad neighbors. 😥

• Like 1

Was on the first part of your cruise. In a Neptune suite and we could hear people in cabin next to us and it wasn't an adjoining cabin. I think the walls are not insulated/sound proofed well when they slide these together. (Not even sure that can be done fully). And of course the neighbors above and next door both liked to go in and out of the balconies multiple times with the door slamming. We always heard the crew and doors in the hall.  It's was also one of the most creaking cabins we've ever had. Fortunately we got used to it after a few days and did enjoy each adventure (Nicole, Cuban refugees, extra sea day, etc). 

• Like 2

Door slamming is a pet peeve of mine, and it actually could be GREATLY reduced with one line in the Where and When:

"Please be respectful of fellow guests by closing your cabin and balcony doors quietly".

I think it's a level of cluelessness (like loud voices in the hallway) that some cruisers do not realize how sound travels on a ship.

• Like 2