Discover Scuba in Cozumel questions

jbrinkm

Thinking about doing a Discover Scuba on our upcoming cruise (RCCL). Wondering which you would recommend: Ship option (on sale for $83 right now) vs Sunset/Sandollar or other local provider vs one at Chankanaab so we could hang out on the beach afterwards. The ship option is discounted for a great price but starts at 8am, not idea for my family with 2 teens... We'd love to do 2-3 hours a la carte at Paradise Beach in the late morning, have lunch, and then head out to another site for a Discover Scuba outing afterwards. Has anyone done one of these on Cozumel?

@jbrinkm

First, while Cozumel has excellent diving, it's not a super choice for a Discover Scuba.  The diving that makes Cozumel famous tends to be deeper than is suitable for a Discover Scuba.  That being said, you can still do a great Discover Scuba there, if none of the other ports on your cruise are more suitable for you. 

I'm thinking you have 4 people, since you mention two teens.  I'm assuming two adults as well.  This is a big advantage for you since it's the maximum group size for one instructor, on a Discover Scuba.  Also, your desired time might work to your advantage, because it sound like you could schedule your dive about the time most shops are finishing their morning two-tank dives.  They might look at it like an easy way to schedule something without it interfering with their primary business of the day. 

My first thought is Paradise Divers.  They do a lot with all levels of divers, and would probably be able to work something out for you.  I have no idea if they could pick you up at a beach club, but their shop is adjacent tot he Hotel Cozumel (Wyndham) which isn't far from the cruise ports. 

If they can't help, come back and post more.  I probably have other options that would work.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Thanks 1

We do discover scuba on every vacation and vacation 4x yearly. 

You CAN scuba out in the ocean (deeper at the reefs and reachable by boat) but IMO and other divers have told me many times, Cozumel is a place that is usually a drift dive, which makes it very hard for beginners because the water can be pushing you sideways. I'm by far not a beginner (but with an injury to my foot which sometimes makes it hard in wavy water) and only did 1 of our 2 dives out far in the water. My husband and 13 year old daughter managed well...I did not. (Some due to the instructor who decided to pull me down when I wasn't ready...several times, which instantly upset me).

However, you can always do a shore dive and they are a little better for a beginner that hasn't done it before and less "wavy". 

For our shore dive, we did a spur of the moment (after the deeper ocean dive) with Sand Dollar at Sunset. Our instructor was great and plenty to see...along with the underwater web cam. 🙂 

If you're interested in seeing pictures and our experience of both dives...you can find the shore dive HERE and our open water dive HERE

• Thanks 2

When we snorkeled off Cabana Beach, we saw a TON of different fish right along the shore line (variety of colors, sizes, types) and I'd love to have a similar experience with a shore dive. Are there specific places where we should be focusing? Do the shore dives just go from wherever their shop is located? I know that snorkeling is mostly best from the shore in the Chankanaab-Money Bar stretch of the island and gets worse as you go further south, but are there certain spots I should be looking for in a shore dive as well?

26 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

@jbrinkm  on your other post in Cozumel...just wanted to let you know the place you described is definitely scuba diving at Sunet. 🙂

It's funny - we're going back and forth with each other on several threads!! I just replied about the Cabanas...

It was hard for me to tell at the spot where Sand Dollar Sports goes out if there were lots of fish while you were . I saw a few on your website @mitsugirly from your pics but couldn't tell if they were plentiful. I am LOVING the underwater webcam though. It is my new meditation - I bookmarked it on my browser. There are SO MANY FISH there right now, in the dark! 

My wife and I did a discover scuba on a whim in Cozumel about 20yrs ago and I was hooked.  I found the drift diving very relaxing and easy.  All you have to do is go down and let the current do the rest. There are many, many dive shops in Cozumel.  I usually use Eagle Ray Divers when in Coz.  They are at the marina. My wife will go to Mr Sancho's beach and I have them drop me off at the beach after the dives.  We have been lucky and have never been on a dive in Cozumel with more than about 6 people on the dive boat.