Chankanaab activities and booking

mitsugirly

Looking into booking either Chank or Playa Mia.  We had a good enough time at PM in 2016, but I am always up for trying something new.

We are a group of 7, we just want to eat, ocean swim, and play in the sand.  The pool and kid area at PM was great when my kids were smaller, but it looks like there is more to explore at Chank.

Can we actually swim in the ocean at Chank without snorkeling?  It sounds like maybe that is much reduced access?

I have credit to book via RCCL but I believe a cabana booked directly would be a better option for us?  Are cabs easy enough to get in the port?  Thank you all for your help!!!!

We're in a similar situation as you, including having been to PM before (in 2015, actually) but not chank.

We're leaning heavily towards going back to PM (where we had a great time).  

1. The kids are looking forward to the inflatables again (though, from pictures, it looks like they are completely replaced since 2015, and the kids are a little sad it won't be the same)

2. Chank does not have a sandy beach with ocean access, like PM does

We looked into the Chank cabana, and that did appeal to us.  But, the cabana area does not really have a nice beach.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

similar situation as you

I ended up booking PM. My kids barely remember it and needing to use stairs was the main turn off to Chank. I spent a long time looking at photos and reviews etc.  I hated the sand at PM last time, but I also hated it at Nachi Cocum. I think it’s the west side of the island has coarse sand. Isla Pasion in the north was nicer but that wasn’t an option with my ship. 

51 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

I ended up booking PM. My kids barely remember it and needing to use stairs was the main turn off to Chank. I spent a long time looking at photos and reviews etc.  I hated the sand at PM last time, but I also hated it at Nachi Cocum. I think it’s the west side of the island has coarse sand. Isla Pasion in the north was nicer but that wasn’t an option with my ship. 

We were looking at Isla Passion, but it was a LOT more expensive than PM, and also it takes a lot longer to get there.

On 3/22/2023 at 11:05 AM, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

If your ship offers the cruise I can tell you it was a much nicer beach IMO.  It is the reason I picked a cruise going to Coz, only to find out Royal Caribbean doesn’t partner with them. 😞

How is it nicer than PM?

We're a group of 6, and at $40 pp more, so is Passion Isle $240 nicer? And, with the travel time, it's about 2 hours less time on the beach.

5 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

so is Passion Isle $240 nicer?

For ME, because I know how much more we liked it, it would be worth it. And we have a group of 7. PM was so so disappointing for us.  The beach is my most important piece and it was awful. But YOU said you had a great time there, so you’re likely just fine at PM.  We enjoyed the boat ride to and from the island. 

I hope we don’t hate PM as much this time as the first time.  If nothing else, it at least has a pool and it was partially covered by Bank of America rewards. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

For ME, because I know how much more we liked it, it would be worth it. And we have a group of 7. PM was so so disappointing for us.  The beach is my most important piece and it was awful. But YOU said you had a great time there, so you’re likely just fine at PM.  We enjoyed the boat ride to and from the island. 

I hope we don’t hate PM as much this time as the first time.  If nothing else, it at least has a pool and it was partially covered by Bank of America rewards. 

How are the beaches different?  Thanks!

10 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

beaches different?

My visits to both PM and Nachi Cocum were both disappointing because the sand was so coarse and unpleasant. My kids and I are beach lovers and they wouldn’t play in the sand at all. We typically bury one another and play IN and lie directly ON the sand and it was so painful.  This was disappointing for us. On the north side of the island the sand was soft and welcoming for our typical beach fun.  We spent less than 30 minutes in the sand at PM. This is a very specific need for my family, like good snorkeling or extensive bar could be for others. 

The red bathing suit is from IP and the pink is PM.  It's just different sand.  And they wouldn't play in PM.  

sand isle pasion.jpg

sand playa mia.jpg

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vacationdreamer&lt;&gt;&lt; said:

My visits to both PM and Nachi Cocum were both disappointing because the sand was so coarse and unpleasant. My kids and I are beach lovers and they wouldn’t play in the sand at all. We typically bury one another and play IN and lie directly ON the sand and it was so painful.  This was disappointing for us. On the north side of the island the sand was soft and welcoming for our typical beach fun.  We spent less than 30 minutes in the sand at PM. This is a very specific need for my family, like good snorkeling or extensive bar could be for others. 

The red bathing suit is from IP and the pink is PM.  It's just different sand.  And they wouldn't play in PM.  

sand isle pasion.jpg

sand playa mia.jpg

Thank you!  This is definitely very helpful.

We'll have to decide then between the inflatables and the sand.  We also have a beach day at Mahogany beach for this cruise, so I predict their choose PM, but with these photos, we'll see.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PrincessArlena&#x27;sDad said:

Thank you!  This is definitely very helpful.

We'll have to decide then between the inflatables and the sand.  We also have a beach day at Mahogany beach for this cruise, so I predict their choose PM, but with these photos, we'll see.

When is your trip?  I’ll be there in May and can report if it’s better…?

20 hours ago, Vacationdreamer&lt;&gt;&lt; said:

When is your trip?  I’ll be there in May and can report if it’s better…?

One other question,  if I may. 

At IP, is there a place to get out of the sun? I know at PM, they have the tent like place where the food is. My wife is a red head that burns easily and needs sun breaks. 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, PrincessArlena&#x27;sDad said:

One other question,  if I may. 

At IP, is there a place to get out of the sun? I know at PM, they have the tent like place where the food is. My wife is a red head that burns easily and needs sun breaks. 

Thanks! 

Yes, plenty of shade at IP.

You can check out many photo's on my blog if you'd like to see the place. HERE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

Can anyone verify the costs of a taxi for 3 people to Chankanaab (probably from Punta Langosta pier since we are on NCL)? TIA

I saw on Tripadvisor that it is $9 from downtown to Chank.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clackey said:

That doesn't seem right to me for some reason. I think last I heard was for 1-4 people is was around $12 but I'm not sure if it went up or not. 

Anyone went recently?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clackey said:

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

That doesn't seem right to me for some reason. I think last I heard was for 1-4 people is was around $12 but I'm not sure if it went up or not. 

Anyone went recently?

LOL taxi fares in Cozumel are supposedly regulated snd all drivers should have a card with the fares in their taxi which they should be able to show you on request. As far as I an aware there has been no official increase for several years but many do try to make up their own unofficial exchange rate and paying in pesos is no where near as advantageous as it used to be if they think you are a tourist.

That said prices are always higher from certain locations, cruise ports certainly,  but also hotels, probably Mega, and if you call the dispatcher. Prices are still available posted at the port and should be agreed before leaving. Stopping a taxi in the street offers more room for negotiation but $9 does sound low  and $12 more likely.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

DH and I are experienced scuba divers and would normally do a 2 tank dive at this cruise stop.

However, it’s been a few years since we have done this due to various life events.

We are consider Chank on our stop in November and have a few questions for those that have been here.

I understand from their website that they offer scuba/diving at $45 with a cert card (which we have).  And I am assuming that would be a shore dive.  I figure this could be a good re-intro for us both.  Has anyone done this thru one of their dive shops?

I am also considering booking a cabana (only 2 of us) as husband and I prefer shade when not out in water.  DH has had multiple skin scares so we try to minimize with rash guards and sunscreen.  Again, shade is the reason #1 reason for wanting this option.  

thanks in advance for all experiences, suggestions.

We were there last May.  We got the nicer bigger cabana.  It was really nice. The cost of entry was included with the cost of the cabana.  The snorkeling spot was right in front of us, delicious drinks and snacks (drinks were extra).  We loved the little private shower behind our cabana (shower head was a big conch shell).  They gave us a ride from the front entrance and a ride back at the end of our day.  It's a bit of a walk otherwise.

I would probably do that again if we went back to Cozumel...but I would ask them to honor the credit they owed us that I over paid. (I paid for my 8 month old grandson). They told me at the gate when we arrived they realized I had done that and the reimbursement was already in process.  A follow up email after we home still didn't result in an answer or money returned.  Other than that we loved it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, snorkler8 said:

We were there last May.  We got the nicer bigger cabana.  It was really nice. The cost of entry was included with the cost of the cabana.  The snorkeling spot was right in front of us, delicious drinks and snacks (drinks were extra).  We loved the little private shower behind our cabana (shower head was a big conch shell).  They gave us a ride from the front entrance and a ride back at the end of our day.  It's a bit of a walk otherwise.

I would probably do that again if we went back to Cozumel...but I would ask them to honor the credit they owed us that I over paid. (I paid for my 8 month old grandson). They told me at the gate when we arrived they realized I had done that and the reimbursement was already in process.  A follow up email after we home still didn't result in an answer or money returned.  Other than that we loved it. 

Good to know they now have transport from the front entrance as there were a lot of complaints about the walk after they closed the back entrance.

The website states individual access fee for any one over 3 years.

It would appear that the discounted entrance fee actually comes with reduced access within the park if that is important - swimming pool access, not sure what else. 

On 2/18/2024 at 12:48 PM, luv2sail7 said:

DH and I are experienced scuba divers and would normally do a 2 tank dive at this cruise stop.

However, it’s been a few years since we have done this due to various life events.

We are consider Chank on our stop in November and have a few questions for those that have been here.

I understand from their website that they offer scuba/diving at $45 with a cert card (which we have).  And I am assuming that would be a shore dive.  I figure this could be a good re-intro for us both.  Has anyone done this thru one of their dive shops?

I am also considering booking a cabana (only 2 of us) as husband and I prefer shade when not out in water.  DH has had multiple skin scares so we try to minimize with rash guards and sunscreen.  Again, shade is the reason #1 reason for wanting this option.  

thanks in advance for all experiences, suggestions.

If you are interested in diving and cabanas it would be best to email the park to check prices because some add ones include entrance or requires an extra discounted fee. 

If you email you will avoid paying entrance twice and will determine what facilities you have access to. 

I guess it depends how long your port hours are and how much time you would have at the Cabana as to whether it is worthwhile.

7 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

If you are interested in diving and cabanas it would be best to email the park to check prices because some add ones include entrance or requires an extra discounted fee. 

If you email you will avoid paying entrance twice and will determine what facilities you have access to. 

I guess it depends how long your port hours are and how much time you would have at the Cabana as to whether it is worthwhile.

Thanks c-legs5 - good info.  I will follow up with the park.

still on the fence whether we need a cabana as it sounds like they have plenty of palapas for shade?  The day we are in port, there will be 6 ships and we are there from 8am to 6pm.  We would not spend entire day. Main purpose for visit will be the snorkel and/or shore scuba dive.

if anyone has pictures of the cabanas and the palapas, it would be greatly appreciated to see them here vs Chank’s website.  

again thanks to all in advance.

34 minutes ago, luv2sail7 said:

Thanks c-legs5 - good info.  I will follow up with the park.

still on the fence whether we need a cabana as it sounds like they have plenty of palapas for shade?  The day we are in port, there will be 6 ships and we are there from 8am to 6pm.  We would not spend entire day. Main purpose for visit will be the snorkel and/or shore scuba dive.

if anyone has pictures of the cabanas and the palapas, it would be greatly appreciated to see them here vs Chank’s website.  

again thanks to all in advance.

We have only been once and we were quite happy with pergola, right in front of the snorkeling/ diving area and would be quite happy to return. 

My husband was there most of the day. I was watching family at dolphin swim and at the pool.