Gibraltar taxis

Hello. In Gibraltar we're taking an excursion to Marbella, Spain. Last time in Gibraltar, we did the 8-hour ultimate excursion and ticked off a lot of the main attractions. Our excursion this time gets us back at 2.30pm and the ship is there till 5pm. Am thinking of spending up to a couple of hours wondering along Main Street. It looks on google maps to be about a 30-min walk from the furthest point to the cruise terminal. If we got tired for example.. or struggling to get to the terminal.. is it easy to hail or find a taxi for the short ride? Just lining up my plan B. Will of course leave a good amount of wiggle-room in the plan and won't be looking to turn up as they're casting the ropes off haha. Appreciate any advice. 

I suggest you head direct to the little Trafalgar Cemetery on the outside of  the South Bastion at the very top (southern) end of Main Street (there's a small taxi rank there), then work your way down Main Street. There's another rank in front of the Anglican cathedral about half-way down pedestrianised Main Street on the western side, then another next to the buses out the back of Casemates Square at the bottom (northern) end of Main Street - and from there its only a 20 - 25 minute walk back to the ship

JB  🙂

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, John Bull said:

I suggest you head direct to the little Trafalgar Cemetery on the outside of  the South Bastion at the very top (southern) end of Main Street (there's a small taxi rank there), then work your way down Main Street. There's another rank in front of the Anglican cathedral about half-way down pedestrianised Main Street on the western side, then another next to the buses out the back of Casemates Square at the bottom (northern) end of Main Street - and from there its only a 20 - 25 minute walk back to the ship

JB  🙂

Champion. Thank you. I've looked on google maps at what you've suggested and it's about a 15min walk from the Cemetery to Casemates square.. and only another 15-min walk to the cruise terminal from there. So should have no issues walking back to the ship with lots of time up our sleeve with room for error.. And 3 taxi ranks along the way if something unexpected happened. Cheers! 

• 1 month later...

Visiting Main Street after your day in Spain sounds like a good plan.  It would work best if you could be dropped off at the Market Place or as John Bull says, by Trafalgar Cemetery (actually nice for a short visit).  

The only taxi issue for me would be if you are on a big ship and all the taxis are focused on giving rock tours or working as shuttles to and from the ship.  You would see that on the day and turn back sooner.  It is all flat and so an easy walk.  

An anecdote about the taxi shuttles …   I used to half to walk past the shuttle queue from time to time.  I used to think how ridiculous it was (about $2 per person I think) when it was such a short walk.  One day there was a really long queue and it was hot.  I really felt sorry for those in the queue.  I stopped the person at the end, who looked well capable of walking.  I said that the port was really near, they would be back at the ship sooner by walking.  I got blanked in a way that meant this person clearly thought I was trying a scam of some sort.  I gave up trying to be helpful to tourists who could not be bothered to consult Google maps.  

I hope that you have another nice day in Gibraltar.

• Thanks 1