Best Tips and Suggestions to spoil MIL on first cruise

megreedy

My family is taking my MIL on a NYE cruise out of New Orleans....her first trip since her husband passed away.  She spent past 2-3 years taking care of her bed-ridden husband so now my husband wants to spoil her as much as possible on this vacation.  We booked the Haven but beyond the perks and spoiling that comes along with the Haven, what advice do any of you have to make sure we "take" great care of her!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, megreedy said:

My family is taking my MIL on a NYE cruise out of New Orleans....her first trip since her husband passed away.  She spent past 2-3 years taking care of her bed-ridden husband so now my husband wants to spoil her as much as possible on this vacation.  We booked the Haven but beyond the perks and spoiling that comes along with the Haven, what advice do any of you have to make sure we "take" great care of her!

Look through this thread.  It includes many observations on how to get the most out of the Haven.  I would be sure and mention to the butler and steward about your MIL recent loss.  Discretely of course.  BTW, you can call the on shore conceirge office.  Perhaps they might have some ideas.  Their number is  1-855-625-4283.   Don't hestitate to call them.  I've called them serveral times and they are great. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2830623-the-ncl-haven-luxury-vip-experience-secrets-revised-for-2022/#comments

• Like 3

How does she prefer to "be treated"?

If she likes things like this, then having breakfast brought in by the Butler is very nice.  They'll set up a white tablecloth, etc.

Have her order "one of everything"... well not quite, but anything she wants.

(We usually have a "good start" to our day.... oatmeal, scrambled eggs and extra crispy bacon, fresh orange juice, coffee... you don't need to stick with the menu in the Haven, although it's got to be on the ship 😉 ). 

Tell the Butler discreetly that you'd appreciate it if she gets some extra attention, and let them know what types of afternoon snacks she might like.  We don't like the regular assortment, so we ask for certain fruits and cheeses, etc.  They really try to make things special.

The Haven is very nice, and a bit quieter, which is nice to have for a NYE cruise!

GC

• Like 2

What does she enjoy doing?

Is she interested in spa treatments - get a spa pass.

Is she a foodie - get extra specialty restaurant credits for her to try everything.

Does she like cocktails - ask the Haven bartenders to go wild and make her fancy beverages or frozen dessert drinks.

Does she like the typical cruise activities (bingo, game shows, Q&A with staff...) - review the dailies with her each morning and highlight the stuff she wants to attend, and make sure she knows how to get to everything she wants.

Is she interested in exploring the cities you're stopping in - look into the U-tours that tend to be pricier, but are smaller guests so a more intimate experience.

Is she interested in lounging by the pool and relaxing with a good book - stock up her kindle with fun reads or schlep a book or two in your luggage for her (there will be more in the Haven library too, but limited choices).

It all depends on what will make her happy and is enjoyable to her.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JamesIowa said:

Order some flowers for her cabin. Price isn’t too unreasonable, arrangements are nice and they last at least a week. 

What a great idea! I always enjoy them on my cruises and you're right, they do last the entire week! Fortunately, an arrangement will be in their suite upon arrival. One of the not necessary, but nice, perks of the Haven.

• Like 1

You don't say how old she is, but if she's older and slow to get going in the morning, having the butler deliver coffee and pastry first thing so that she doesn't have to rush out for breakfast might be a treat. Of course she can also order a full breakfast delivered, and ordering this the night before she plans to "sleep in" could make for a very relaxing start to a sea day. 

Alternatively, sometimes if my mom is sleeping in we just go to the haven lounge and grab a cup of coffee and pastry and serve her ourselves. The scent of hot coffee at the bedside is nice to wake up to and we can discuss the day ahead without rushing to get dressed and out to the restaurant.

Even easier if you like Nespresso and just make it in-suite.

• Like 1