Remembering the Cunard 175th Anniversary concert in Liverpool.

pberk

Cunard's 175th Anniversary Concert held at the Liverpool Cathedral on July 4, 2015.  To my knowledge, Cunard never released a DVD or video of this event.  The concert ran 2 ½ hours.  This is my 22 min version.  This should be of value to those interested in Cunard history.  Considering that I was merely a member of the audience, I'm quite proud of how this video was shot and edited.    

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 5:29 PM, pberk said:

Cunard's 175th Anniversary Concert held at the Liverpool Cathedral on July 4, 2015.  To my knowledge, Cunard never released a DVD or video of this event.  The concert ran 2 ½ hours.  This is my 22 min version.  This should be of value to those interested in Cunard history.  Considering that I was merely a member of the audience, I'm quite proud of how this video was shot and edited.    

I'm on a cruise at the moment, and I can't get to see your video due to poor internet connections, but I look forward to watching your video when I get back home. Cunard never made a DVD unfortunately due to issues with royalties and equity, so we have to rely on audience videos. There is a great full length one by Margaret Gradwell, but I can't access the link right now (grrr when will the internet on board ships improve/) but someone may have that link to share. That was truly one of the best concerts ever. We were so lucky to be there!

8 minutes ago, safarigal said:

I'm on a cruise at the moment, and I can't get to see your video due to poor internet connections, but I look forward to watching your video when I get back home. Cunard never made a DVD unfortunately due to issues with royalties and equity, so we have to rely on audience videos. There is a great full length one by Margaret Gradwell, but I can't access the link right now (grrr when will the internet on board ships improve/) but someone may have that link to share. That was truly one of the best concerts ever. We were so lucky to be there!

Hi Safarigal (can't remember your real name??) .. The full length version, by someone named ARIZONAGCS,  runs an hour and 47 min.   The audio is fairly good (I borrowed some of it) but the video is a bit bumpy .. I don't know how anyone can hold a camera steady for that long ..

So Safariga, where in the world are you cruising?

• Like 1

Just now, pberk said:

Hi Safarigal (can't remember your real name??) .. The full length version, by someone named ARIZONAGCS,  runs an hour and 47 min.   The audio is fairly good (I borrowed some of it) but the video is a bit bumpy .. I don't know how anyone can hold a camera steady for that long ..

So Safariga, where in the world are you cruising?

Yes, that's the one I was thinking about. I also did a video, and used a monopod, but the video really is awful, so I listen to the audio, it brings back so many wonderful memories of that cruise. I am looking forward to yours!

We are in Antarctica, so I can't really blame the cruise line. It's probably a miracle that there is internet here at all 🙂

44 minutes ago, safarigal said:

Yes, that's the one I was thinking about. I also did a video, and used a monopod, but the video really is awful, so I listen to the audio, it brings back so many wonderful memories of that cruise. I am looking forward to yours!

We are in Antarctica, so I can't really blame the cruise line. It's probably a miracle that there is internet here at all 🙂

Lucky you, Safarigal .. Antarctica has always been on our bucket list .. We missed the Penguins in 2008 when we were on QE2 going round the horn .. bad weather .. Capt McNaught canceled two ports in a row (Falklands and Punta Arenas) but kept us safe ... So, you're living our dream.  Hope the weather's good.  We understood Jan-Feb is better down there???

Thanks @pberk.  Great videoing and editing job.  You captured the occasion very well.  This concert ranks as one of the top highlights of any voyage we've ever taken on Cunard. 

A few years afterwards in 2019, on QE's initial voyage to Alaska from Japan, we were fortunate to have Paul O'Laughlin as entertainment director.  We spoke to him one evening in the theater, saying how surprised and happy we were to have him aboard QE from his usual role on QM2.  I  happened to be wearing my 175th voyage lapel pin that evening, and Paul noticed it and we began talking about the concert.  He said that his biggest memory of the occasion was how heavy the Boston cup was to carry into the cathedral, and how they almost dropped it a few times along the way. 

Thank again for sharing the memories.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pberk said:

Lucky you, Safarigal .. Antarctica has always been on our bucket list .. We missed the Penguins in 2008 when we were on QE2 going round the horn .. bad weather .. Capt McNaught canceled two ports in a row (Falklands and Punta Arenas) but kept us safe ... So, you're living our dream.  Hope the weather's good.  We understood Jan-Feb is better down there???

I do miss "miss a port Mc Naught", he was usually totally correct about keeping us all safe. Things have been a bit scary down here lately, but we are in good hands. Absolutely Jan/Feb is better in Antarctica, there is soooooo much ice still down here, but Jan/Feb is Cunard time for us 🙂

@safarigalReading your blog of the trip to Antarctica .. brilliant .. lovely traveling with you vicariously .. but wish I was there.  You have the right idea.  No matter how challenging the place, moderate with champagne and caviar.  Auntie Mame said it best "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving."   Carry on.

• Like 1