MSC Does NOT partner with American Express for cruise benefits?

greatestvalue

Correct, there is no specific Amex benefit in terms of their "Cruse privileges and discounts" program.  I have an Amex Platinum card and have checked that out, but MSC doesn't participate.

Obviously, any travel agent, Amex or otherwise, may be able to provide something or other, but that's an entirely different situation.

As a side note, I booked Oceania using that program and I think I got $300 OBC and an invite to a premium wine tasting event.  They also had 2 Amex Offers for a $200 credit on an $800 spend, and I think I got another $400 from 2 separate $800 deposits.

So...

$300 from Amex Cruise Privileges

$150 from the Agent, who shall not be named 
$200 from Amex Offers
$200 from Amex Offers

So, $850 OBC plus a premium wine tasting, which I thought was very good.  I'll be taking the GF on Oceania for her 60th birthday in a couple of years.  She's put up with me for 10 years, so I figure she deserves it, and these spiffs from my Amex card don't hurt a bit.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I have an Amex Platinum card and have checked that out, but MSC doesn't participate.

I agree, my upcoming NCL cruise to the Panama Canal has provided stella benefits from Amex, the TA paying tips & gratuities (also will not be named)  and Im still left with $500 OBC and everything paid for already.  So having fun deciding what to spend it on. 

Same for our booked TA on RCL next year. 

So MSC & No Amex Benefits may be a deal breaker for me and this cruise line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greatestvalue said:

so MSC & No Amex Benefits may be a deal breaker for me and this cruise line. 

I think you have to look at the "net net"... a lot of OBC is smoke and mirrors, in my opinion. Sure, here's $1000 on Azamara toward excursions... wait, what, the walking tour is $139/pp?   

At the end of the day you need to look at the total price of the cruise. Spending funny money on a $30 purse marked up to $150 is not really a deal (IMO)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

I think you have to look at the "net net"... a lot of OBC is smoke and mirrors, in my opinion. Sure, here's $1000 on Azamara toward excursions... wait, what, the walking tour is $139/pp?   

At the end of the day you need to look at the total price of the cruise. Spending funny money on a $30 purse marked up to $150 is not really a deal (IMO)

I think the short of it is that the MSC cruise without perks from Amex (or similar) can be a very good deal, and a cruise on another line with the perks can be a very good deal.

I did a cruise on RCCL out of Shanghai and received some nice Amex perks on a mini suite.  You just have to weigh each option in its entirety.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

Correct.  MSC does not participate in the AMEX perk program.  

To my knowledge, none of the cruise lines allow the AMEX perks if you book directly with the cruise line.

My TA provides AMEX perks.  So, kind of puts the cruise lines’ own agents at a disadvantage since they can’t offer them.

No matter, whatever the reason, they aren’t available on an MSC cruise, regardless of who you book with.

I’m certain it’s a monetary thing.  Cruise lines probably have to pay a marketing fee to get AMEX perks, and the TAs probably do, too.

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

none of the cruise lines allow the AMEX perks if you book directly with the cruise line.

Booking direct with the cruise line still does allow the perks.  They simply transfer you to their "Amex dept" which I agree with you, is probably not really "their" dept.  As long as the TA is certified in Amex they can book the cruise. 

I agree with you, Im sure they pay a marketing fee.  

I will have to compare MSC up against the same cruise and see if the value meets/beats or is the same as  cruise with the Amex benefits. 

• Like 1