Crime on Cruise Ships ~ Interesting Statistic

You are right - do we really trust Congress to take care of this problem?:D

The bigger question is - is there a problem? I think not.

Heather: Only congress can initiate a congressional investigation, although usually it's done at the behest of a major donor or some big lobbying group. Or to garner headlines from a scandal-mongering press.

I hope you aren't under the mistaken impression that all cities "report" all crime - they don't.

Nor should you labor under the impression that a cruise ship is somehow an extension of the United States - it isn't.

No idea where you get the idea that cities don't report all crimes. Cruise lines aren't required to record any crimes, small or large. And left to their own devices, they conceal this information.

As for cruise ships not being an extension of the U.S., the major lines have their headquarters based in the U.S., make a huge chunk of their revenue from the U.S. (not all), they pay their officers/crew in U.S. currency, yet don't pay taxes in the U.S. However, Congress does have the authority to regulate, at the very least, regarding security issues. Whether congress is actually able to accomplish anything meaningful is a whole other issue.

I'm sure the congresspeople will have to do lots of on-site visits to imerse themselves into the cruise culture so the can experience first hand the dangers that lurk for the unsuspecting traveller! :rolleyes:

When you request your dining time and table size you may also want to request the "Politician-free Zone."

Heather: Only congress can initiate a congressional investigation, although usually it's done at the behest of a major donor or some big lobbying group. Or to garner headlines from a scandal-mongering press.

Dave, I'm quite aware that "only congress can initiate a congressional investigation" and didn't say otherwise. But this so called "crime ridden cruising" situation has been on the front burner in the media for some time now and much of it initiated by the lawyers representing the families involved.

Perhaps you missed the story this morning, but the attorney was very clear that they had gone to congress to initiate the investigation.

I'm only reporting a story ... I don't make this stuff up by myself.

No idea where you get the idea that cities don't report all crimes.

Here's a good overview: http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/111/111lect02.htm

Cruise lines aren't required to record any crimes, small or large. And left to their own devices, they conceal this information.

So do cities. But before \making gross generalizations about cruise lines, check the laws of their flag countries.

As for cruise ships not being an extension of the U.S., the major lines have their headquarters based in the U.S., make a huge chunk of their revenue from the U.S. (not all), they pay their officers/crew in U.S. currency, yet don't pay taxes in the U.S. However, Congress does have the authority to regulate, at the very least, regarding security issues. Whether congress is actually able to accomplish anything meaningful is a whole other issue.

Congress could possibly make using US ports onerous for them, but the US government has no direct control over any cruise line, no matter where their offices are.

Do read the article I linked above, then tell me who will decide when a crime is committed on a ship.

Dot73, I agree with you about the Newlywed issue. Once I heard that story, it is not that I sided with RCCL, its that, if I were that family, I would be embarrassed to make such a big media circus out of this. Who would want to make their family members look like they are starting off as newlyweds with this kind of relationship, where they get so drunk on their honeymoon that they go off in different directions?

I think what bothers many people more than anything is that it seems as though the cruise ships don't have to live by our rules, and maybe they should be expected to. If any crimes are committed on cruise ships, even if because of the stupidity of the cruiser, someone should be held accountable. What happens to the employee who rapes a passenger, even if they claim that it was consenual? There should be some standards that should apply.

Congress has many more things that they can spend time their time with that would benefit a large group of cruise passengers, such as straightening out the mess they made with the new Medicare Part D coverage.

Archived