No More 7 Day Cruises to Southern Caribbean

judyfssw

Greeneg,

You are absolutely right. They are risking their core customers. I will be taking my first Princess cruise in October. No X ships doing 7 night Caribbean cruises in October.

Hi Rick and Ed !

I totally agree with both of your comments. As a matter of fact, I have been making similar comments on here for quite a while. IMHO, Celebrity is making a mistake by risking their core (and loyal) past passengers.

The VERY big question is, does Celebrity do anything about it, and add some additional presence (even if small) to the Caribbean in 2007/2008 ? And... do they get more creative with their itineraries ? Or, do they do the "same old, same old" with the new schedule. As schedules for 2007/2008 are being formulated now, Celebrity has an opportunity to improve their schedules/itineraries RIGHT NOW. I surely hope they make some positive changes. If not, they will continue to risk loss of their core passengers. I would hate to see that happen.

Rick.... as for the 7 night Caribbean sailings in October... this coming Winter season, has some of the latest Caribbean deployment dates I have ever seen by Celebrity. Many of the Caribbean sailings do not begin until November, and you have to wonder why Celebrity chose to start the season so late.

Fang, I am amazed that Celebrity would only offer one Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise and then start it on a Monday instead of the weekend. I just don't understand why they would do such a thing. Perhaps the thought process was that this would be a way to limit the number of children, that is, families traveling with their children for the holiday. But if so, this was a dumb move because it also excludes a lot of adults too. We often cruise during the Thanksgiving holiday because for just two days of vacation, we can take a week off (due to work holiday schedules). I know that others do the same thing because we have talked with people on those cruises who were doing this.

If Celebrity is concerned about the number of children on a particular cruise, they should follow the lead of Princess, who limits the number of children overall and the number of chidren in certain age groups. But frankly, I haven't noticed that Celebrity cruises seem to be overrun with children, even during the holiday periods.

Well, both Royal Caribbean and Princess are offering Sat or Sun cruises over the Thanksgiving holiday. Perhaps RCI assumes that Celebrity cruisers will automatically select RCCL. But with the high prices that RCCL is charging and the no discounting policy, I don't think this is automatic.

Andy,

I don't usually visit the other cruise line boards and I don't know their itineraries. Do the other lines vary their itineraries year to year or do they change the islands to make each ship unique?

Andy,

I don't usually visit the other cruise line boards and I don't know their itineraries. Do the other lines vary their itineraries year to year or do they change the islands to make each ship unique?

Hi Judy !

Over the past few years, there has been a lot more changing around, and some creativity by several of the other lines. Holland America just came out with some very creative itineraries, and I give them a lot of credit for trying some new ideas.

I sincerely hope Celebrity will try to be as creative as HAL was, with their new schedules.

Thanks for your response, Andy. I, too, hope that Celebrity will make some changes. We, who like Celebrity and want to stay with them need some consideration also.

Enjoy your cruise, Andy.

Andy,

You wonder why it's so late or a Caribbean season. A mostly booked European sailing is always better than a full Caribbean sailing that may have to be altered due to a hurricane. European sailings starting at $125 per person per day vs Caribbean sailings starting at $100 per person per day and that's just inside cabins. Then when you add in the effects of changes having to be made due to a hurricane, delaying the season cuts down the risk.

• 7 months later...

Its been almost a year since I visited this posting as I was upset at having to switch to RCI. I have adjusted and am looking forward to my Jan SC on Serenade of the Seas. While cruising I book for next year so....it has to be in Jan and only 7 nights so I do hope Celebrity can accomodate us or we just mey stay with RCI.

I can't really speak to this since I don't cruise in Feb., but it just adds to my feeling that X for some reason is abandoning cruisers who prefer the Caribbean. There are ZERO summer cruises to the Caribbean in 2006. I'm waiting to see what will be offered in 2007. As I've said on these boards before, X is pushing me to another cruise line, kicking and screaming because I love X and am dreading taking RCCL to the Caribbean in the summer. But if X doesn't go where we want to go, there's really no choice. I'm wondering if X is doing this on purpose to try to pump up RCCL's Caribbean business and at the same time bolstering its own repuation as more upscale (and therefore only doing the more "sophicticated" Mediterranean and Baltic cruises and such.
I have cruised with Celebrity many times but recently I have tried RCCL and they were fine and I even went on a gasp Carnival cruise and it was ok. Lorelle

i just don't get why all you SERIOUS cruisers bash 5 night cruises? some of us can't afford to be away for 7 or 10 or 14 days at a time because of work or family, shouldn't i get the opportunity to cruise on a ship like the century? im sorry you think people like me would just trash the ship instead of enjoying it like everyone else!

I have cruised with Celebrity many times but recently I have tried RCCL and they were fine and I even went on a gasp Carnival cruise and it was ok. Lorelle

The truth of the matter is that the mainstream cruise lines are more alike than they are different. Each does a couple of things better than the others but overall they are really selling the same product.

Life is funny, who would have thought that the little Empress of the Seas would be so popular on the 11 night run out of San Juan? Much more so than Constellation and her 7 night itineraries.

Live and learn!

I'm in the minority. 10+ days please.

Empress is a special little ship. For me, small and personal trumps big and overblown anyday.

So I was surprised by posts.... maybe they are listening. We are going on Summit in February 2008 on a 7 day out of San Juan (St. Maarten; Dominica; Grenada; Bonaire & Aruba.)

I still want to see the "other" S. Carib. ports, but really like longer cruises now. We've already been to Aruba, Curacao, and St. Maarten and that cruise included St. Thomas and San Juan (port of departure) which we had been to on the E. Carib. cruise.

I would like to see a 10 or 11 night cruise which includes Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada, and Tortola or another island we've never seen and be round trip from somewhere in FL. I would go with a 7-night if necessary, but am spoiled for longer cruises after our last two of 11 and 12 nights.

Maybe some day.....:D

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 7 nights

1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 7 nights

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour 7+5

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 7 nights

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal 11 nights

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords 12 nights + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera 11 nights

I still want to see the "other" S. Carib. ports, but really like longer cruises now. We've already been to Aruba, Curacao, and St. Maarten and that cruise included St. Thomas and San Juan (port of departure) which we had been to on the E. Carib. cruise.

I would like to see a 10 or 11 night cruise which includes Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada, and Tortola or another island we've never seen and be round trip from somewhere in FL. I would go with a 7-night if necessary, but am spoiled for longer cruises after our last two of 11 and 12 nights.

Maybe some day.....:D

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 7 nights

1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 7 nights

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour 7+5

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 7 nights

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal 11 nights

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords 12 nights + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera 11 nights

I would like to see a 10 or 11 night cruise which includes Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada, and Tortola or another island we've never seen and be round trip from somewhere in FL.

The Galaxy is 10 or 11 nights and hits 4 of the 5 ports you list above with the addition of St Maarten, Curacao, and Aruba

Sorry about the double post. My computer went blank when I hit the post button. I wasn't sure it had posted at all and somehow ended up posting twice. If I knew how to delete one of them I would.

RE: Galaxy. I know about Galaxy's new winter itinerary. Our friends are taking this cruise in Feb. My problem is we've already been to Aruba, Curacao and St. Maarten on our 7-night on Adventure and I would rather do a cruise that has all different ports.

Adventure used to do an alternate 7-night with Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, and two other ports we'd been to. I just wish I could find one that had ALL ports that are new to us.

We loved Galaxy when we sailed her to the Panama Canal in 2/05 and plan to take her to the Med in summer of '08 with the friends who are sailing her this winter. They've also been to Aruba, etc, but didn't mind going again.

I'll just keep looking and maybe my dream cruise will materialize, but I really don't want to change lines from RCI and Celebrity

Kathie,

The more you cruise, the harder it is to find new ports. Keep in mind, you don't have to get off the ship in those ports if you don't want to. There are a number of ports where we don't get off or if we do it's just for a little shopping. We love the relaxing atmosphere of the empty ship.

Which sailing are your friends on in Feb. We are sailing Feb 23.

Have you looked at the Seranade of the Seas or the Crown Princess?

I've been sailing exclusively on Celebrity for the past few years because I have been so happy with their ships, service and itineraries, but I'm booked on my first ever Holland AMerica cruise in February because Celebrity had no good choices for me. I hope I enjoy the cruise as much as I have cruising with Celebrity. I may have a new favorite.

Terri

Terri,

We just went through the same thing. We ended up booking a Princess cruise. We had a GREAT time and would sail with them again. I think that's where X is hurting themselves by have the same ships doing the same cruises all the time. Doing simple things like changing an itinerary here and there and changing ship locations would help.

How about keeping the Infinity in the Caribbean and sending a different ship to South America. How about changing some of the ships between Alaska and Europe. Bring Mercury to the Caribbean and send the Galaxy to Austraila. Bring the Summit to the Caribbean and send Millie to Hawaii.

I wouldn't mind repeating itineraries if I could have a different ship. You ask what difference does the ships of the same class make? Each ship has it's own personallity and I'd like to experience them all. Infinity does Alaska, no interest, South America and Panama, can't get the time off work needed. So how do I ever sail on her?

Archived