Non-alcoholic mixed drinks/mocktails - What beverage package?

Throwaway112212

Hey guys.  I think I screwed up today…

My GF and I booked a cruise under the free at sea promotion and we recently found out she was pregnant.  While talking to the rep about what documents we need from her OB, I remembered seeing somewhere that sometimes lines don’t require everyone to have the same beverage package if there’s a legitimate reason.

So, knowing the package was included, but we prepaid the service charge, I asked if the rep knew if they’ve ever refunded those fees.

I mentioned it to my GF and she said just leave it alone, we already paid and she didn’t want to have to worry about anything on board.  I submitted the paperwork and didn’t think any more of it.  Today I got an email back saying she was good to travel, her package was downgraded to the soda package, and they had refunded the difference of the prepaid gratuities.

Ive searched everywhere trying to figure out what a “mock tail” would be classified as under their packages.  The only mention of juice I see is “free to everyone with meals” and the only reference to mixed drinks I can find are all alcoholic.  Now I’m freaking out that if she wants a non-alcoholic mixed drink from a bar it won’t be covered under the soda package, and each drink will be charged.  The difference was only $15/day or something- I should’ve just kept my mouth shut.

I called and spoke to someone with the access desk and he said he’d never been asked about mocktails and couldn’t give me an answer.  So I turn to you all… anyone know how non-alcoholic mixed drinks are billed/charged?  How bad did I screw up?

TIA

11 minutes ago, Throwaway112212 said:

I mentioned it to my GF and she said just leave it alone, we already paid and she didn’t want to have to worry about anything on board.

...then...

13 minutes ago, Throwaway112212 said:

I submitted the paperwork and didn’t think any more of it.

...no matter what happens on the ship, you already screwed up. 😁

15 minutes ago, Throwaway112212 said:

Now I’m freaking out that if she wants a non-alcoholic mixed drink from a bar it won’t be covered under the soda package, and each drink will be charged.

It might be covered. It might not be covered. It can vary by drink or by bartender. 

Since the bartender will probably assume that both of you have the PBP, swiping your card and getting 2 drinks (1 non-alcoholic for her) will probably work. If you aren't around and she tries to use her card, she might get charged. 

25 minutes ago, Throwaway112212 said:

I should’ve just kept my mouth shut.

Consider it a rookie mistake. 

• Haha 2

Haha I should’ve clarified.  I mentioned it to the first rep, who didn’t know.  The access desk would know, but they were closed.  So I filled out the generic disability/access form and submitted the OB letter.  Once they cleared her to board access desk must’ve taken it off based on whatever note the first rep wrote- so there was some miscommunication there. (Probably on my end) I didn’t want it actually removed, but was curious if we could down the line (why wait on hold for 30 minutes any more than necessary?)

I didn’t mention it anywhere else, and thought it wouldn’t go further if I didn’t actively inquire again.  So I sent the required paperwork she needed to board the ship and nothing else… and forgot about it.  

Oops.

Oh, I read it again.. when I called I mentioned she was pregnant so they noted that in her file and I HAD to send the documents or she would be denied boarding.  Honestly, that was my first mistake.. She’s not showing, and won’t be near 24 weeks.  

thanks for your other answers though.  Getting her a drink when I get mine should be fine if it comes to it.  

Edited by Throwaway112212

They probably moved her off the package as soon as you sent in the paperwork.

from what I have seen, mocktails are about $6.50+ 20% gratuity. 

Congratulations!  Make sure you get her sea bands early.  They can also help in the first few months with the morning sickness. 

In September my husband had the soda package. The soda package does not allow for mocktails, though some bartenders might make an exception. Here's the TL:DR - you screwed up. 

But, there is hope! You should still be able to add the drink package back so that she can get mocktails. She should ask you to test her drinks as many times my husband has ordered a virgin drink only to have alcohol in it. 

You can call NCL (or chat) and ask them to add back the Free at Sea beverage package. As long as you're not within 24 hours of sailing, you're good to go. Below are the Free at Sea terms and conditions (not the drink package). 

image.png.f13ca25a60ab3906a6236b30d4da8aab.png

Full terms and conditions can be found here: https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

Life advice: always do what your girlfriend says. No matter what. You'll be a much happier man that way. I learned that if I just do what my husband says, I'm happier (even though I screw up all the time on this one). 

Congrats on the baby news!

There's somewhat of a compromise. If you just order a "Sprite with a splash of grenadine," a "half sprite, half cranberry" or a "Club soda with a splash of bitters," they'll give the lady what she wants. And if you are kind and tip well at the mojito bar, and start asking them to add some herbs to liven things up (not THAT herb), or a splash of passion fruit puree, they might oblige.  Heck, if you are frequently at the same bar and are nice and tip well, they might even just suggest some mocktails and make them on their own.

I would only stress about this if lots of fancy mocktails are super important to her.

We took a trip to Italy when my wife was 7 months pregnant and there they highly recommend that pregnant women drink alcohol daily. So, if she sticks to chianti and Aperol spritzes she and the baby will be fine? Maybe?

3 hours ago, zzdoug said:

We took a trip to Italy when my wife was 7 months pregnant and there they highly recommend that pregnant women drink alcohol daily. So, if she sticks to chianti and Aperol spritzes she and the baby will be fine? Maybe?

American guidelines are "never drink at all!!!!" but yeah, the actual medical research does not show any harm done by a drink or two a day, it's only heavy drinking that is an issue.

That said, I didn't drink at all when pregnant just because it's such a cultural taboo, I couldn't bring myself to do it. So I understand if OP's wife wouldn't want to risk it or it just doesn't feel right to her. (HOWEVER if she upgrades the drink package and accidentally gets a non-virgin drink, those few sips with alcohol are really not anything to worry about.)

Edited by pookel
  • Like 2