Switch Health Covid Kits - Expired When Shipped

CDNPolar

I am not suggesting that Switch Health is not a good company, as this is our first experience with them, but I want to post a caution on the expiry dates of the test kits that they sell.  (Switch Health sells for Air Canada with an Aeroplan discount)

We are leaving for Antarctica starting from YYZ on December 26th.  The first night is in Buenos Aires in a hotel and the cruise line has instituted a PCR test that first night and if you are positive you do not continue next day to the ship.  Vacation over.

We decided that we would test ourselves before getting on the plane, so that if by chance we were positive we could still cancel (insurance covers this) and not even start the travel.  Because of the travel date we need to test on December 25 or 26.  Who is open?

We found that Switch Health has many good options for testing in clinic or at home with video based tests.  We decided on the Switch Health RT-LAMP home test kits and after calling they assured us that the video call that we need to make to validate this test is fully available both December 25 and 26.  The RT-LAMP are supposed to be equivalent to a PCR result and you can do from home with an internet and video connection.

The test kits arrived a couple days later at a cost of $268.94 for the two.

I opened the shipping box and there was a very confusing paper insert explaining the expiry date of the kit and how they may appear expired but in actual fact they were still valid kits.

The problem was that the pictures on the paper insert did not match the labeling and expiry date info on the kits I received.  My kits clearly had an expired date on them. 

I called the number on the paper insert and I actually reached LUCIRA who is the manufacturer of the kits.  The agent that I had reached - Mary - was amazing and after she had me peel Switch Health's expiry sticker off their original expiry, give her that information, then the LOT numbers and expiry on the pouches inside the kit itself, she informed me that what was important was the manufacture date of the kit which she did not have access to.  She let me know that she would escalate this to manufacturing and if the kit was not valid they would ship replacements to us.

Thank goodness we still have a few weeks before we need them.

Next day - yesterday - email from LUCIRA and in fact the kits we have are not good and they are shipping replacements to us.

The total CAD value of this trip, cruise hotel extensions, and airfare is about 28K and I was about to put that potential cost in the hands of an expired test kit that came from Switch Health.

If you are going to use such a test kit, order early, and question the expiry if it is not clear.

I will report all this to Switch Health once I receive the new test kits, and again, this is not a slam against them as a company, just a warning that someone is not watching their expiry dates well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Shoppers Drug  are usually open  in most places  even Christmas  Day  check in your  area

Unfortunately Shoppers only offer Antigen in the time frame that we need the results.  These RT-Lamp tests are the equivalent of PCR results in one hour.

We are being shipped new tests direct from the manufacturer so all is good.

46 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Unfortunately Shoppers only offer Antigen in the time frame that we need the results.  These RT-Lamp tests are the equivalent of PCR results in one hour.

Sorry when I checked  their site  they had  rapid test  ..results in 15 to 20 minutes

I guess not available in your area

https://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/health-and-wellness/covid-19/testing

32 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

As this is only a "pre-test", an antigen test should suffice to determine whether or not you should fly to Buenos Aires to be subjected to a PCR test. In fact, even a free home test kit will tell you whether or not you are likely to test positive when given the PCR test.

That said, it's good to see that you have new test kits on their way, and I hope that you test negative for both tests and have a great cruise!

We have both had covid.  We have supply of home test kits and have used them many times.  The home test kits and antigen test kits are unreliable IMO.  Most stats that I have read say that if the home antigen test is positive, you are positive, but a negative is only 50% accurate and you could still be positive.

The RT-LAMP kits are $119.00 each, but have the same accuracy as the PCR test.  We are willing to spend that because if we test positive before flying to Buenos Aires, then at least we preserve the value of the flights (Delta One) that we have.  (No cancellation, no change fees). 

If we fly to BA, and then test positive then we cannot take the cruise, then insurance will only fly you home coach and we lose out...

We have many friends that had symptoms, tested negative with Antigen for several days before finally testing positive.