Tropicante

mattyboy

22 hours ago, mattyboy said:

Just trying to get some clarity from recent visitors to Costa Maya - is Tropicante still open and and still pay as you go? I know Steve is no longer there - but is Caroline? used to be our favorite go to pre-covid.

Per a recent review/comment in a thread below, the place is still there, still paygo, but Carolina and crew are no longer there. Prices have increase.  People appear to be opting for Krazy Lobster next door.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Tropicante.  They now charge for chairs & everything is VERY expensive. We were bombarded  by people selling stuff every 5 minutes. The massage ladies were there. $35 for 30 minutes & $45 for fully body.  Pina colada’s & rum punch were $16 each (seemed watered down), bucket of beer (XX) $30 or $6 each so no deals.  It was $151USD for us so we have to assume a small plate of nachos was $31… it was disappointing for us.  We will stay in the ship next time. 

Edited by mona_canada

9 hours ago, mona_canada said:

Just back from Tropicante.  They now charge for chairs & everything is VERY expensive. We were bombarded  by people selling stuff every 5 minutes. The massage ladies were there. $35 for 30 minutes & $45 for fully body.  Pina colada’s & rum punch were $16 each (seemed watered down), bucket of beer (XX) $30 or $6 each so no deals.  It was $151USD for us so we have to assume a small plate of nachos was $31… it was disappointing for us.  We will stay in the ship next time. 

Are you sure you didn’t get “taken” at El Faro across the rope?  That wouldn’t surprise me at El Faro but seems expensive for Tropicante given the amenities. Did you see a printed menu with Tropicante logo?

Until Mahahual has more to offer I don’t think they are doing their rebuilding plans any favors. Very sad and disappointing.

On 12/30/2022 at 1:51 PM, mona_canada said:

Wow, that is insane. One of the greatest things about Mahahual and Tropicante was that the prices were always reasonable. Certainly cheaper than Cozumel or other more developed ports. I feel sure that there are more reasonable options on the beach at Mahahual. 

• 2 weeks later...

So sad to hear this!  Tropicante was always our go to place at Costa Maya.  Just booked to go here again for the first time in many years and was looking for to Tropicante.  I knew Steve was no longer here but was hoping that it was still much the same.  :classic_sad: