Steve, you are a great resource for Cruise Critic, thanks.

I realize my situation is unique in some ways and common in others.  What I would like to ask about is recommendations for high level coverage for medical situation, not the trip itself.  Basically coverage for medical type events that are over say $5-10K.  Our situation is that our Medical insurance covers out of the Country through Blue Cross Global Core, I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve that offers some trip protection and I could handle the loss for a given trip.  In addition I do purchase a yearly plan through Marriott Vacation Club that covers all trips (US & otherwise) through MVC for up to 8 people because of the economy of scale.  We're talking 2-3 trips per year out of the country generally for 2 to 3 weeks per trip with 1 of these being with MVC.  Once retired we will likely travel more so an annual plan may be best then.  Our current plans over the next 2 years are an 11 day trip to Aruba (MVC), 12 day cruise to the Caribbean next Dec and an 11 day cruise/tour Dec 24.  

I'd also be interested in your recommendations for when to change over the an annual plan.  TIA.

7 hours ago, DeanD said:

Steve, you are a great resource for Cruise Critic, thanks.

I realize my situation is unique in some ways and common in others.  What I would like to ask about is recommendations for high level coverage for medical situation, not the trip itself.  Basically coverage for medical type events that are over say $5-10K.  Our situation is that our Medical insurance covers out of the Country through Blue Cross Global Core, I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve that offers some trip protection and I could handle the loss for a given trip.  In addition I do purchase a yearly plan through Marriott Vacation Club that covers all trips (US & otherwise) through MVC for up to 8 people because of the economy of scale.  We're talking 2-3 trips per year out of the country generally for 2 to 3 weeks per trip with 1 of these being with MVC.  Once retired we will likely travel more so an annual plan may be best then.  Our current plans over the next 2 years are an 11 day trip to Aruba (MVC), 12 day cruise to the Caribbean next Dec and an 11 day cruise/tour Dec 24.  

I'd also be interested in your recommendations for when to change over the an annual plan.  TIA.

Hi DeanD,

Thank you for your kind words.

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve that offers some trip protection and I could handle the loss for a given trip.

Credit card plans don't cover pre-existing medical conditions for yourselves, traveling companions or non-traveling family members, but if you don't need this coverage, Chase will give you the basics of what you need.

> I'd also be interested in your recommendations for when to change over the an annual plan.

What State do you live in and what are your current ages?

Steve Dasseos

1 hour ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi DeanD,

Thank you for your kind words.

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve that offers some trip protection and I could handle the loss for a given trip.

Credit card plans don't cover pre-existing medical conditions for yourselves, traveling companions or non-traveling family members, but if you don't need this coverage, Chase will give you the basics of what you need.

> I'd also be interested in your recommendations for when to change over the an annual plan.

What State do you live in and what are your current ages?

Steve Dasseos

We are both 64 and in FL.  

I was able to book the trip that was the main reason I asked the question, it's 13 days and 2 years from now.  Thinking of getting a Medical policy only, not worried about the trip costs.  I think Geo Blue only will write for 6 months or under but I'd like to get something now if I'm going to do so.  Plus I assume they use Global Core and I'd like something outside that system to avoid confusion since that's what my primary Insurance uses.  I am an extremely well controlled type II Diabetic.  I did poke around your site but it's a little clunky and other than Geo Blue, didn't see much info on Medical Plans.  I'm OK with a higher deductible.  Your thoughts?  Do you write IMG's Medical Plans?

Edited by DeanD

On 12/15/2022 at 10:37 AM, DeanD said:

I was able to book the trip that was the main reason I asked the question, it's 13 days and 2 years from now.  Thinking of getting a Medical policy only, not worried about the trip costs.  I think Geo Blue only will write for 6 months or under but I'd like to get something now if I'm going to do so.  Plus I assume they use Global Core and I'd like something outside that system to avoid confusion since that's what my primary Insurance uses.  I am an extremely well controlled type II Diabetic.  I did poke around your site but it's a little clunky and other than Geo Blue, didn't see much info on Medical Plans.  I'm OK with a higher deductible.  Your thoughts?  Do you write IMG's Medical Plans?

Hi DeanD,

> Do you write IMG's Medical Plans?

Yes, but on another of my websites at https://worldwidetravelhealthinsurance.com/ . I have other websites that are written to specific audiences.

> I think Geo Blue only will write for 6 months or under but I'd like to get something now if I'm going to do so.

You may get the Geo Blue Voyager plan within 6 months of your departure. The Choice plan covers pre-existing medical conditions.

I don't see the benefit of buying a travel medical plan so far in advance, but it can be done.

Steve Dasseos

Thanks Steve, I'll look at the other website.  The IMG plan I was looking at was the Patriot Intl Platinum over the Lite plan but maybe you can tell me if this is a reasonable choice. 

So if I'm understanding your post correctly, if anything happened medically in the interim but Geo Blue plan was bought 6 months out, there would be no problems?

2 hours ago, DeanD said:

Thanks Steve, I'll look at the other website.  The IMG plan I was looking at was the Patriot Intl Platinum over the Lite plan but maybe you can tell me if this is a reasonable choice. 

So if I'm understanding your post correctly, if anything happened medically in the interim but Geo Blue plan was bought 6 months out, there would be no problems?

Hi DeanD,

I forgot to say "If you don't live in MD, NY and WA you are eligible for Geo Blue if you also aren't only covered by the VA or are on Medicaid."

> So if I'm understanding your post correctly, if anything happened medically in the interim but Geo Blue plan was bought 6 months out, there would be no problems?

Yes, the Geo Blue Choice plan covers pre-existing medical conditions if bought as late as the day before you leave home.

Steve Dasseos