Pez Quadro Beach Club or Maya Chan Beach Club?

SKSMIKE5

Need some help distinguishing pros and cons of these two. We have a large group of us on Allure in June. Adults and adult children. Love the beach and snorkeling and just enjoying the sun. Pez is $85 (all inclusive food and drink, lounger), and Maya Chan is $65 (transportation to and from port, food, drink, lounges, shaded area, kayaks, snorkel gear). Both have great reviews on Tripadvisor. It looks like Pez Quatro may have a prettier beach but i'm not for sure. 

If you've been to one or the other i'd love to hear your views.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Is Maya Chan even an option next June - i thought they were closed?

Maya Chan is definitely the more economical option although depending on if you have teens you may be able to get a discounted rate at Pez Quadro. However you will need to add an $8pp round trip taxi fare.

Maya chan will be quieter, no vendors, private area for your party, small swimming pool but has limited option buffet lunch (good but served at a set time, for limited time). Chips, salsa, guacamole freely available from arrival. Further walk to access transportation and at least 20 minute ride each way depending on weather and state of the road. Beach area is limited depth will definitely have sea grass, may have sargassum - however, they actively try to clear it but depending on the season may be overwhelming.

Pez Quadro is one of many beach clubs along the malecon. All will suffer sargassum to some degree if it is prevalent. It has been a long time since we went there so no recent knowledge,  but it is a lively club attached to Hotel 40 Canones. It is popular with crew probably due to discounted rates. I am sure it will have vendors that frequent all beach clubs on the malecon. They are persistent but non-confrontational and can be difficult to relax quietly although I suspect Pez Quadro is not a relaxing type beach club! I would imagine food will be available to order anytime.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to be along the Malecon, depending on the size of your group, you could look at Jaime's as well. I believe you will have better access (by boat, for additional $$) to snorkeling there than you would out at Maya Chan. I think Jaime's limits to 35 people so if your group approaches that number, you might have the place to yourselves. It is less expensive than Pez Quatro and many people love it there. We were there at a busy time and had a few issues but it sounds like ours were out of the ordinary. Taking a snorkeling boat out from there is easy - many good dive shops right along that stretch. And Jaime's has paddleboards and kayaks, although limited beach/water space (although would be fine if a less crowded day!).

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I like Jaime's and think Maya Chan is a wonderful option over Pez Quadro.  For a large group, I think you would be hard pressed to spend even $65 pp at somewhere along the malecon like Krazy Lobster or Maramao (practically next door to Jaime's and before Pez).

• Thanks 1