Star Breeze to Australia

Barrycat

Despite two calls to “customer service” at Windstar, they have yet to correct the misinformation on the website that a pre embarkation Covid test is required for Australia.

They acknowledge that this information is incorrect but their response is that they don’t control the website, they actually said that.

This misinformation impacts the cruise from Auckland next month which first ports in Australia on January 23 in Tasmania.

The Windstar information that visas are required in both New Zealand and Australia is correct but they didn’t mention that a visa on arrival  will be required for Indonesia or one can be ordered on line for $33

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Star Breeze to Australia

To partially address your concerns:

We just disembarked in Auckland after a 14 day cruise that embarked in Melbourne on The Breeze. Windstar web site told us we must have a proctored test, NOT a self test in order to board the ship. After wasting a number of hours plaguing chemists in Melbourne, we eventually found an outlet of Chemists Warehouse to do a supervised antigen test. Around the same time I called Windstar’s agent in Melbourne who were ADAMANT that a simple self test, with a picture of the negative cartridge would be good enough to board. Yes, Windstar USA misinformation strikes again.

As usual though, the disfunction that permeates Windstar corporate, and has done since our first cruise in 2017  was offset by the beautiful onboard crew.

I’ll save the contradictory letters written by Chris Prelog (you need a proctored test/ you don’t need a proctored test) for another day. 

edit:

I forgot to add that 48 hours before boarding, Windstar’s Melbourne agent sent us a letter from Chris Prelog warning us that if we didn’t upload proof of our vaccination status a minimum of 14 days before boarding, we may be denied boarding. Would have been nice to receive said letter when we booked. That created another unnecessary  for drill, sigh. 

I think Windstar needs to replace the marketing culture that is incompetently leading the organization, and replace it with some operations oriented executives.

Edited by Nearpost345

Nearpost345, I am on the Breeze cruise leaving from Cairns and headed to Indonesia in February (no stops in New Zealand).  I've not seen anything about uploading proof of vaccination 14 days prior to boarding.  How/where did you upload your vaccination proof? Is this only required if the cruise stops in New Zealand like yours did? We have gotten the Australian Visas, and are set to do a proctored self test the night before we board, but that's the planning so far.

Thanks.

Edited by Carraig

We are on the full tour from 1/10 in Auckland to 2/17 in Benoa. At this point based on the research I have done and the information I have received, I don’t think any kind of test results are required at embarkation. Additionally, proof of vaccination will be required at embarkation but I’m not aware that Windstar is requiring that it be uploaded prior to embarkation.

Is this incorrect and if so based on what?

Thanks

Hi guys

Here is the letter Windstars rep in Melbourne sent to me. 

Covid Testing embarking in Australia

Updates

AATWAftrhxkgP4hZZtRoFJwFEKd19hD8HT_lfzsIPE0karnWAPrFjW6bbrOUH_IN_Ezv=s80-p

Windstar - Documentation <documentation@windstar.com.au>

Nov 28, 2022, 1:23 PM

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

Hi Tony,

Thank you for contacting Windstar Australia.

The latest information about Covid testing that we have received from head office in Seattle is below. We have been sending this information to our guests and agents since receiving on November 9.

November 9, 2022

Regarding your Client’s Upcoming Cruise: Star Breeze, December 4, 2022

Guest Name: ------------------------Booking Number: -----------

Dear ---------------

Our crew is excited to welcome your client on board the Star Breeze! We want to reassure you that we continue to review our health and safety protocols in an effort to maintain a healthy environment on board for our guests and crew, as well as mitigate the spreading of the virus to the communities we visit. Our policies continue to evolve where appropriate in coordination with local regulators.

Please review important entry details below:

·         The Government of Australia has specific requirements cruise lines are required to follow and include:

o   Vaccination status of passengers must be verified during the booking process. 

§  We have created a link for your client to submit your proof of vaccination – https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/6864400c374a47a9a0dc651daa6606bf .  Please upload a photograph of the front and of the back of your client’s vaccination card by no later than November 16, 2022. Failure to provide may result in denied boarding.

o   At the cruise terminal prior to embarkation, guests will be required to provide proof of an initial completed vaccine course (one or two shots, depending on the brand) finished at least 14 days prior to the guest's embarkation date.

o   Passengers must have and be able to present evidence of a negative PCR test within 48 hours before boarding, or a negative self-administered Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) within 24 hours before boarding the cruise ship. Please be advised passengers embarking in Australia that pre-embarkation testing must be done at a private laboratory for a PCR test, and for the RAT can be done at a laboratory or pharmacy, or by self-test. Passengers should be able to present test results at the terminal, and for a self-test, it is suggested a picture of the test cartridge should be available.

o   A health screening will be administered at the pier on the day of embarkation.

o   The Government of Australia also strongly recommends that all passengers have the seasonal influenza vaccination, when available.

• Guests going ashore must adhere to our Beyond Ordinary Care plan and local sanitation guidelines. Details will be provided daily onboard in Destination talks held in the evening lounge.

·         We aim to execute the itinerary as scheduled but are subject to ever-changing requirements, which may or may not allow us to call at all scheduled ports.

·         While Windstar no longer requires guests to wear masks onboard, there may be cases where mask wear may be required. 

·         Please visit the Health & Safety page on our website for the latest information on all of our Beyond Ordinary Care protocols.

We look forward to welcoming your client aboard.

Best regards, 

A picture containing linedrawing, clipart  Description automatically generated

Christopher Prelog

President, Windstar Cruises

Hope this helps to clarify your questions.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise experience on board Star Breeze this Sunday.

Kind regards,

xxx

Windstar Australia

1300 749 875 | (02) 8296 7094

Level 8 / 171 Clarence Street SYDNEY NSW 2000

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

Edited by Nearpost345

This was posted by the department  of health in October 2022.

Some cruise lines are requiring a test but two representatives of Windstar assured me that Windstar is not.

I can understand Nearpost’s concern. My guess is that this was just another critical information screwup by Windstar.

You do not need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test to meet Australia's travel requirements. Some countries, airlines and vessel operators may require a pre-departure test result at check-in before you can board your flight or ship.Oct 14, 2022

Hi Barrycat

On our December 4th embarkation Windstar quayside did demand evidence of a negative self test .No need for a proctor just a picture of the cartridge showing the negative stripe . Two elderly passengers had to tramp back to the port entrance to test themselves as they weren’t permitted to do it close to the ship. (they had some unused  self tests in their bags). I realize this is little help as you are embarking in Auckland.

You are correct though about Australian immigration, they do not need to see a test , but they do require folks getting on cruise ships in Aussie to be tested. I saw that in writing somewhere on line.

May I suggest you hunt down a tel number for the Windstar agent in Auckland. If they’re anything like everyone we met in New Zealand they will bend over backwards to help you.

You will love the crew Barry, just don’t let them press your dress slacks without emphasizing PRESS not launder. That’s a whole other story. My poor Enzo Mantovani’s are no more! 😪

Edited by Nearpost345

I just received the following from Chris Prelog. It says nothing about needing a Covid shot to board in Auckland. Case settled.

·         The Government of Australia has specific requirements cruise lines are required to follow and include:

o   Vaccination status of passengers must be verified during the booking process. 

§  We have created a link for you to submit your proof of vaccination – https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/6864400c374a47a9a0dc651daa6606bf .  Please upload a photograph of your proof of vaccination by no later than January 5, 2023. Failure to provide your proof of vaccination may result in denied boarding.

o   At the cruise terminal prior to embarkation, guests will be required to provide proof of an initial completed vaccine course (one or two shots, depending on the brand) finished at least 14 days prior to the guest's embarkation date.

o   A health screening will be administered at the pier on the day of embarkation.

o   The Governments of New Zealand and Australia also strongly recommend that all passengers have the seasonal influenza vaccination, when available.

• Guests going ashore must adhere to our Beyond Ordinary Care plan and local sanitation guidelines. Details will be provided daily onboard in Destination talks held in the evening lounge.

·         We aim to execute the itinerary as scheduled but are subject to ever-changing requirements, which may or may not allow us to call at all scheduled ports.

·         Please visit the Health & Safety page on our website for the latest information on all of our Beyond Ordinary Care protocols.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard. 

Best regards, 

On 12/18/2022 at 5:21 PM, Nearpost345 said:

Hi guys

Here is the letter Windstars rep in Melbourne sent to me. 

Covid Testing embarking in Australia

Updates

AATWAftrhxkgP4hZZtRoFJwFEKd19hD8HT_lfzsIPE0karnWAPrFjW6bbrOUH_IN_Ezv=s80-p

Windstar - Documentation <documentation@windstar.com.au>

Nov 28, 2022, 1:23 PM

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

Hi Tony,

Thank you for contacting Windstar Australia.

The latest information about Covid testing that we have received from head office in Seattle is below. We have been sending this information to our guests and agents since receiving on November 9.

November 9, 2022

Regarding your Client’s Upcoming Cruise: Star Breeze, December 4, 2022

Guest Name: ------------------------Booking Number: -----------

Dear ---------------

Our crew is excited to welcome your client on board the Star Breeze! We want to reassure you that we continue to review our health and safety protocols in an effort to maintain a healthy environment on board for our guests and crew, as well as mitigate the spreading of the virus to the communities we visit. Our policies continue to evolve where appropriate in coordination with local regulators.

§  We have created a link for your client to submit your proof of vaccination – https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/6864400c374a47a9a0dc651daa6606bf .  Please upload a photograph of the front and of the back of your client’s vaccination card by no later than November 16, 2022. Failure to provide may result in denied boarding.

o   Passengers must have and be able to present evidence of a negative PCR test within 48 hours before boarding, or a negative self-administered Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) within 24 hours before boarding the cruise ship. Please be advised passengers embarking in Australia that pre-embarkation testing must be done at a private laboratory for a PCR test, and for the RAT can be done at a laboratory or pharmacy, or by self-test. Passengers should be able to present test results at the terminal, and for a self-test, it is suggested a picture of the test cartridge should be available.

o   The Government of Australia also strongly recommends that all passengers have the seasonal influenza vaccination, when available.

·         While Windstar no longer requires guests to wear masks onboard, there may be cases where mask wear may be required. 

We look forward to welcoming your client aboard.

Best regards, 

A picture containing linedrawing, clipart  Description automatically generated

Christopher Prelog

President, Windstar Cruises

Hope this helps to clarify your questions.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise experience on board Star Breeze this Sunday.

Kind regards,

xxx

Windstar Australia

1300 749 875 | (02) 8296 7094

Level 8 / 171 Clarence Street SYDNEY NSW 2000

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

We embark in Auckland on 1/10 and just received that letter in an email from Windstar on 12/20 that appears identical - except for the paragraph re testing. Since we had to upload our vaxx cards in order to disembark in Australia I am guessing the testing requirement only applies if you also embark in Australia (?)

Edited by js2x
Thanks! Same conclusion ;-)