Overweight and out of shape. What to do?

spleenstomper

😆 o.k. Now that I got that out of the way, I have been planning to stay on the ship. I have had electrical heart issues that are now under control (had to see an EP cardiologist) but I’m debilitated again and with the heart issues and my current physical shape, I think I should probably not snorkel. 

any ideas for me for this trip? We arrive Jan 4 and there will be 4 ships in port. Thanks. 

ETA: staying on the ship is a viable option. I’ll probably be back to CM soon. 

Edited by spleenstomper

15 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

😆 o.k. Now that I got that out of the way, I have been planning to stay on the ship. I have had electrical heart issues that are now under control (had to see an EP cardiologist) but I’m debilitated again and with the heart issues and my current physical shape, I think I should probably not snorkel. 

any ideas for me for this trip? We arrive Jan 4 and there will be 4 ships in port. Thanks. 

ETA: staying on the ship is a viable option. I’ll probably be back to CM soon. 

As discussed on a recent thread 4 ships presents a very busy day in Costa Maya. Please be aware the pier is a very long walk and usually quite hot weather. Plenty of google images or I posted a link in the other thread which has a photo. The free trolley described in the article is rarely in operation, especially when there is a full port load. Once you reach the port it is a long walk to the exit where taxis are located - not sure how far you are able to walk but these are definitely things to keep in mind in this port. Wheelchair assistance can be available for the length of the pier.

Options in Costa Maya are limited to port area (OK for a wander - shopping, chocolate and tequila museums, spa, expensive food and drinks, dolphins, flamingos, dancers, Mexican Pole flyers), 5 minute taxi to town, some out of town beach clubs, cruise ship or independent excursions to ruins or Bacalar lagoon.

HTH.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Costa Maya on Serenade of the Seas in November 2022.  As it turned-out, it was my favorite stop on the 7 night cruise.  I second the suggestion that you arrange for a mobility scooter ... for the entire trip.  With 4 ships in port, I'm assuming one or more will tender - but I'm not recalling the logistics clearly.  When I was there were two.  Long walk.  The "village" at the end of the pier/dock was the best of my trip, IMO.  You could relax there.  Though I walked away from the village and then hitched a ride with a cruising family that had rented a motorized/electric cart for a trip to the beach ... I'm thinking with your health concerns you might want to stick relatively close to the ship.  As I said, I really liked this stop.  I'm 73, with a couple of heart catherizations, not overweight and still walk a lot.

Edited by Longford

1 hour ago, Longford said:

I was at Costa Maya on Serenade of the Seas in November 2022.  As it turned-out, it was my favorite stop on the 7 night cruise.  I second the suggestion that you arrange for a mobility scooter ... for the entire trip.  With 4 ships in port, I'm assuming one or more will tender - but I'm not recalling the logistics clearly.  When I was there were two.  Long walk.  The "village" at the end of the pier/dock was the best of my trip, IMO.  You could relax there.  Though I walked away from the village and then hitched a ride with a cruising family that had rented a motorized/electric cart for a trip to the beach ... I'm thinking with your health concerns you might want to stick relatively close to the ship.  As I said, I really liked this stop.  I'm 73, with a couple of heart catherizations, not overweight and still walk a lot.

Are you suggesting ships may tender at Costa Maya, or another port on the itinerary?

4 ships can dock at Costa Maya since the extensions to the pie,  including two Oasis-sized ships.

However, depending on winds direction docking isn’t always possible and we have been on and seen ships abort focking for the day.

OP was docking today according to original post.

Edited by c-leg5

8 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Are you suggesting ships may tender at Costa Maya, or another port on the itinerary?

4 ships can dock at Costa Maya since the extensions to the pie,  including two Oasis-sized ships.

I've only once been to thr Costa Maya port, and don't know the ship positioning possibilities.  That said, I saw no tenders parked nearby if they were needed.

We did tender at Belize City.