EMBARKATION: Dining options other than buffet on Carnival Magic

kdnurs

The last time I sailed on a Carnival ship was 2011. I am sorta kinda a newbie since it's been so long. I am curious if there are any other dining options/hidden jewels to have lunch on the Carnival Magic for embarkation day. What are some favorites? 😍

1 hour ago, gopackgo21 said:

We love going to Cucina! It’s usually pretty empty, and a nice place to enjoy a calm lunch before the rooms have opened. 

Thank you for your response...Is there a charge and a reservation required in advance OR can we board and just walk over for a quick lunch? My family loves Italian 😁

2 hours ago, kdnurs said:

Thank you for your response...Is there a charge and a reservation required in advance OR can we board and just walk over for a quick lunch? My family loves Italian 😁

No charge or reservation BUT keep in mind it's not the regular dinner menu.  It's just build-your-own pasta (pick your pasta, sauce, protein, and veggies and they make it custom for you), lasagna, bread, and maybe caesar salad.

It's upstairs above the Lido buffet, so most people don't realize it's there.  It gets busier later in the cruise as more people find out about it.

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 4:40 AM, kdnurs said:

The last time I sailed on a Carnival ship was 2011. I am sorta kinda a newbie since it's been so long. I am curious if there are any other dining options/hidden jewels to have lunch on the Carnival Magic for embarkation day. What are some favorites? 😍

Two weeks ago the embarkation dining options were:

Guy's Pig & Anchor   5 mid     11-2:30

Blue Iguana    10 mid               11-3

Seafood Shack $   10 aft         11-3

Lido Buffet     10 aft                 11-3:30

Mongolian Wok    10 mid        11-3:30

Guy's Burgers   10 mid             11-6

Cucina     11 aft                         11:30-2:30

Carnival Deli    10 aft                11-11

Swirls soft serve     10 aft        11-midnight

Pizza     10 aft                            11-12:30am

We went to the Pig & Anchor the first day which was not crowded then to the Lido for dessert.

The Mongolia Wok is wonderful but you need to get in line early.  It can take 15-20 minutes waiting but it is well worth it if you like "create your own stir-fry."

Edited by farjar
additional info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2022 at 11:40 AM, DallasGuy75219 said:

No charge or reservation BUT keep in mind it's not the regular dinner menu.  It's just build-your-own pasta (pick your pasta, sauce, protein, and veggies and they make it custom for you), lasagna, bread, and maybe caesar salad.

It's upstairs above the Lido buffet, so most people don't realize it's there.  It gets busier later in the cruise as more people find out about it.

This is amazing! Thank you so very much...might be our first stop 🥰

On 12/19/2022 at 1:55 PM, farjar said:

Two weeks ago the embarkation dining options were:

Guy's Pig & Anchor   5 mid     11-2:30

Blue Iguana    10 mid               11-3

Seafood Shack $   10 aft         11-3

Lido Buffet     10 aft                 11-3:30

Mongolian Wok    10 mid        11-3:30

Guy's Burgers   10 mid             11-6

Cucina     11 aft                         11:30-2:30

Carnival Deli    10 aft                11-11

Swirls soft serve     10 aft        11-midnight

Pizza     10 aft                            11-12:30am

We went to the Pig & Anchor the first day which was not crowded then to the Lido for dessert.

The Mongolia Wok is wonderful but you need to get in line early.  It can take 15-20 minutes waiting but it is well worth it if you like "create your own stir-fry."

THANKS Farjar!...This Wok place has POTENTIAL too...I am getting excited!

2 hours ago, kdnurs said:

I went three times on an 8 day cruise.  You grab your bowl then fill it with whatever you want; 3 different kinds of noodles, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, carrots, spinach, pea pods, cauliflower, peas, corn, celery, spinach, bok choy, zucchini, and bamboo shoots.  You then pick from chicken, beef or a seafood that changed daily (salmon, clams or mussels) and three different sauces (mild, medium and hot.)  They have 2 chefs cooking three woks at a time but it's very popular so don't be in a rush.  The earlier in the cruise you go the better as word spreads and they run out of some items toward the end.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kdnurs said:

One of the first things I look for on a Carnival cruise is.....does the ship have Mongolian Wok?   Does the ship have a Jiji's Asian Kitchen?  Does the ship have Chibang?   

All of the above offer a great made-to-order Mongolian stir-fry or "hibachi" bowl at lunchtime, free/included, and I am a stir-fry FIEND.   

DO try to get to Mongolian Wok early, as a line will form and since it IS fresh made to order, they can only process people through so fast.  

Just as an FYI, at Jiji's and Chibang, the same stir-fry is offered but it is sit-down service and you fill out a card with all of your choices; they make it fresh and bring it to you, so there's no waiting in line.  

Chibang (on the new Excel ships) is not open on embark day, oddly enough, and neither is the Cucina.  Plenty of other options, though!

Carnival has really made a name for themselves in offering so many free/included options for lunch on most of their ships.  Quite a change from 2011, the last time the OP sailed on Carnival.  🙂   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, farjar said:

I went three times on an 8 day cruise.  You grab your bowl then fill it with whatever you want; 3 different kinds of noodles, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, carrots, spinach, pea pods, cauliflower, peas, corn, celery, spinach, bok choy, zucchini, and bamboo shoots.  You then pick from chicken, beef or a seafood that changed daily (salmon, clams or mussels) and three different sauces (mild, medium and hot.)  They have 2 chefs cooking three woks at a time but it's very popular so don't be in a rush.  The earlier in the cruise you go the better as word spreads and they run out of some items toward the end.  Enjoy.

Mongolian Grill.   My favorite      and its the embarkation day that is it the less crowded for the duration of the cruise-- everyone is at the guys burger place 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 4:13 PM, tidecruiser said:

I also suggest Pig and Anchor as it is only open on Embarkation and Sea days.  Very calm and not crowded at all usually.  

Is this a free place or fee place? Do they have ribs and chicken or pulled BBQ...just curious. TIA☺️

On 12/23/2022 at 10:51 PM, kdnurs said:

Is this a free place or fee place? Do they have ribs and chicken or pulled BBQ...just curious. TIA☺️

It is free for lunch; not free for dinner except on Excel-class ships (Mardi Gras, Celebration, likely Jubilee).  

They have beef brisket, pulled pork, andoulle sausage, pulled chicken.  I don't think they have ribs on the their lunch buffet, but they DO have them  at dinner.   Lunch is served (by crew) outside on the lanai deck; dinner is inside.    

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 10:51 PM, kdnurs said:

its a free place and yes, yes   and yes   Pig and anchor on some ships are only opened at Lunch on sea days and embarkation day      Not tobe confused with the Pig and Anchor Brewhouse place 

https://www.carnival.com/-/media/images/explore/dining/menus/guys-pig-anchor-bbq-menu.pdf 

• Like 1